3.2.x Bug Report / Feedback Thread

psa

When I create a bookmark in a subcategory but only add the Cantonese pronunciation (in Yale w/ marks) and the definition, it gets saved as "mòuh gān / towel"(which was my first bookmark) regardless of what I enter. Adding a simplified headword prevents that behavior (but I'm not yet learning the characters).

Relatedly, whenever I can't find a word from my learning materials in the dictionary I'd like to create a new entry right away, but currently I have to copy my search text, navigate to bookmarks, create a new one, then paste it. Maybe this could be a shortcut when there are no results?

I'm on an iPhone XR with Pleco 3.2.37 without any addons (yet).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Cantonese flashcard/bookmark support is a bit of a hack at the moment, so this is actually unsurprising... does it work if you put a random string (or even just a @ character by itself) in the pinyin field?

If you go into Settings / Search Interface and set 'unknown word' at the bottom to 'bookmark' or 'card', that should give you a prompt to create a new bookmark when you look up a word that's not in the dictionary.

psa

Thanks for the quick response! It works as long as at least a single character is in "Simplified headword". I figured out that the Cantonese pronunciation field only accepts Yale with numbers. I'd prefer Yale with marks but this works for now and the display in the list is correct again.

I had already tried all the options in the "Unknown search" setting (because it sounded exactly like I wanted) but the button never shows up.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I can't quite remember if that feature works with our free app or not - might be that it requires the paid Flashcard add-on.

ctop

秀才
I am using the Reader extension on an iPad Pro with attached keyboard. It would be nice to be able to use the keyboard cursor keys for moving in the text, but apparently this is not possible at the moment, so I still have to tap on the screen. Please add this feature to a coming version! What I want is to use the direction keys for forward and backward movements, these keys with shift to extend or de-extend the selection and Command-C to copy, Command-F for search. I don't think this will be difficult to implement, since the functionality is there and all is needed is a mapping from the buttons on screen to the keys.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - should be coming soon, we were holding off waiting for Apple to reinvent key input in some crazy way for Catalyst but now that that's out and we know the system is the way it is, we can work with it.

Alexis

状元
Just noticed some funny characters in the yale pronunciation:

IMG_1732.jpg

Also, might it be possible to use punctuation as word boundaries when parsing sentences for definitions? It currently seems to cross punctuation when searching for words:

IMG_1198 2.jpg

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks.

We're still trying to come up with a good solution on punctuation like that, the tricky thing is that sometimes in chengyu e.g. the word crosses a punctuation boundary so we can't always treat them as word breaks.

Alexis

状元
We're still trying to come up with a good solution on punctuation like that, the tricky thing is that sometimes in chengyu e.g. the word crosses a punctuation boundary so we can't always treat them as word breaks.

In that case, might it be possible to do something like: only cross punctuation if the resulting match is >= 4 characters?

Alexis

状元
I noticed that the default CAN dictionary group does not seem to (fully?) use the order of the dictionaries in "Manage dictionaries". For example, I put words.hk dictionary above CCanto dictionary, but when I switch to the CAN dictionary group, CCanto is at the top.

Shun

状元
Hello Mike,

might it be possible to prevent Pleco’s OCR engine from crossing punctuation in a case such as this, as well?

5942213B-1CE8-49E5-B449-E4E85C0A0AA9.png

Edit: I should direct that at the OCR engine maker.

Possibly, or we may decide to make it simply only cross punctuation if there's punctuation in the entry.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I noticed that the default CAN dictionary group does not seem to (fully?) use the order of the dictionaries in "Manage dictionaries". For example, I put words.hk dictionary above CCanto dictionary, but when I switch to the CAN dictionary group, CCanto is at the top.

Sorry, where is it at the top? Do you mean that results from it appear before results from words.hk in a search result that contains definitions from both of them?

might it be possible to prevent Pleco’s OCR engine from crossing punctuation in a case such as this, as well?

Possible, but it sometimes sees punctuation where there actually isn’t any - little phantom dots and such - and I’m concerned that some of that might prevent the recognition of regular words.

Shun

状元
On an iPhone Xr, Pleco displays a flashcard list in Organize Flashcards correctly when the phone is in portrait orientation, but changes to the selection mode with circles on the left when I turn it to landscape orientation.

Portrait:

2147275D-C050-4462-9217-5D30AA08BE88.png

After turning it to landscape:

D975782E-E59F-44D7-87FB-992755ED48AC.png

Note that the button at the upper right still reads „Edit“, not „Done“. When I tap on a flashcard, the flashcard info screen opens, as before.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, this was something we had to do to support iOS 12/13 in our old app without extensive rewrites; it's an annoying glitch, but the effort it would take to get rid of it is somewhat disproportionate to its level of annoyance :) Should be fixed in 4.0, though.

Shun

状元
Hello Mike,

I’ve noticed that the Qiang TTS voice pronounces 挡道 (dǎngdào) as "dǎzào".

Cheers, Shun

rizen suha

状元
fyi, after updating to ios 13, i can no longer open any previously existing file in reader (epub, pdf, txt) except pleco books. i _can_ import and read new files though (via file manager).

rizen suha

状元
another issue after ios 13: reading an epub, after going to another app, coming back to the reader, reading does not resume on page where left off reading (instead quickly spools some pages back from that page)