Outlier Dictionary of Chinese Characters

You are correct. The plan is to put out a few dozen Expert entries per month.
Recently I bought the Expert version and while Essentials is okay, it's the Expert in-depth explanations that truly make this dictionary worth the purchase. What I'm worried about is the "few dozen Expert entries per month" -- at that pace we may not see the final product for another 10 years or more?

Recently I bought the Expert version and while Essentials is okay, it's the Expert in-depth explanations that truly make this dictionary worth the purchase. What I'm worried about is the "few dozen Expert entries per month" -- at that pace we may not see the final product for another 10 years or more?

Although I haven't minded waiting so far, I also have this concern, but I would be happy the updates are on a regular schedule. I would rather see smaller but regular updates than no updates at all.

Ash

进士
Do you have a list of the new 700+ characters?
We haven't published such a list, but you can browse the dictionary in Pleco by going to menu -> settings -> manage dictionaries -> outlier -> browse dictionary entries.

Just learned a much easier way:
hold your finger down on the dictionary name (in the search results) and a menu will appear with "Browse Dictionary" as the 3rd choice.

Last edited:

Ash

进士
Re: the Essentials edition being "okay": Don't confuse the fact that the explanations are simple with the research being simple. Sinologist Victor Mair said it well: "Although the editors' explanations of the origins and meanings of the Sinographs in their dictionary are written in simple, straightforward language, they are based on a wealth of learning, and that includes a correct understanding of the nature and construction of the characters and their components — a rare commodity in Chinese lexicography."

As far as the speed of filling in Expert entries, we're moving as fast as we can with the resources we have available. I think you'd agree that you wouldn't want a lot of quick, low quality entries. If our available resources increase, then we will be able to increase the speed of production proportionally.

Re: the Essentials edition being "okay": Don't confuse the fact that the explanations are simple with the research being simple. Sinologist Victor Mair said it well: "Although the editors' explanations of the origins and meanings of the Sinographs in their dictionary are written in simple, straightforward language, they are based on a wealth of learning, and that includes a correct understanding of the nature and construction of the characters and their components — a rare commodity in Chinese lexicography."

As far as the speed of filling in Expert entries, we're moving as fast as we can with the resources we have available. I think you'd agree that you wouldn't want a lot of quick, low quality entries. If our available resources increase, then we will be able to increase the speed of production proportionally.
Yes, for sure. Perhaps “okay” was a poor word choice for the above, but just from the standpoint of in-depth analysis and various scripts etc provided in the Expert section, Essential may appear a tad pale in comparison to the end user if you’d agree. :)

As I’ve done quite a bit of research on Chinese characters myself and been actively involved in CC-CEDICT editorial project for years I’m totally aware of the fact that it takes a lot of work, but of course we’re all anxious for more than just 135 Expert entries. Keep up the good work.

We haven't published such a list, but you can browse the dictionary in Pleco by going to menu -> settings -> manage dictionaries -> outlier -> browse dictionary entries.

Just learned a much easier way:
hold your finger down on the dictionary name (in the search results) and a menu will appear with "Browse Dictionary" as the 3rd choice.

That doesn't help find new entries.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Here's a quick list extracted from our system for assigning new unique IDs to entries, though it might have a few duplicates (e.g. between simplified/traditional) and missing items (e.g. stubs/variants/etc that are now real entries):

仆朴丈丐丘丸丼乃乘习亏亩亭仓仕伎伺佐佣併侣侨侯侶俊俎俭俳俵俸俺倉倝催傭働僑僕僚僧儉儒充兆兔冗冥冶冻凄凍凸凹刃刈删刪刷剖剝剥劣劾勉勋勘勛募勳勹勾勿匠匹匿卑卒卓卧卵卸厄厘厶叚叟叠叱吕吟呂呗咏咒咽哀哺唄唆唾喉喫喻嗅嘉嘱嘲囑囚坂坊坑坟坠坪垂垒垣垦埶堕堤堯塗塚塾墜墮墳墾壘壤壳壹夥夸奄奏契妃妄妆妊妒妝妾姊姬娛娠娱婁婿媛嫉嫡孃宛审宰宴宵宿寝寡寢審寮尉尧尻尼履岐岡岬岳峠崎崖崩巍巢巩巫帆帖幽庶庸廊弁弗弦弧彔彙彥彦彫彰怠恣恥恳悠悬悼惰愁慨慄憎憧憩憬懇懸戚戻戾扉扯扱抄披抹拂拆拌拐拓拘拙拭拷挚挟挡挨挫挾捨捻掘携搾摘摯撮擋攜敕敖敷斋斑斜斥斧斩斬旬旺昂昇昙昧昭昼晝智暇暢暧暮曇曖曜曹朕札朮朱朽杉枕枠枢枯柄柵栃栅栈栋栏栓栗株栽桁梗梨棋棚棟棧棺椊椎楷槽樞樱樸櫔櫻欄歪殉殴殼毆毋氏氾汰沸沼泊泌泡泣泷浊浦浴涡涩涯淒淫渍渦滋滞溪溯溶溺滥滨滯漆漏漬潟澄濁濑濒澀濫濯濱瀕瀧瀨炉炊炒炭煮煎熊蒸燥爐爵爽犀狙狩狭狹猿玄玺瑟瑠璧璽甲町畅畏畔畜畝疊疋疏痕痘痢痴皂盆盗盜盲眠睏睦瞬瞭瞳矫矯砂砲硝硫碑礁祈禅禪稚稻稼稽穀穗穫窑窒窟窯笃笛笼筋筒篤簿籠粘紇紡紳絞絹綱綻緝締緯縛繩繭纖纤纥纬纲纺绅绞绢绳绽缉缔缚罩羞羡羨翌習耶耻聂聶肃肅肌肖肘肢肥肪肺肾胎脂脊腎腕腺膜膝膳臥臺舶舷艳艷芋芝芦芯芽苛茎茧荐莖菊菩萎萤萧葬蔑蔽蕭薦薪藤藻蘆虐虞虧虹蚊蚕蛮蜜螢蠶蠻衰衷裕裸褐褒襟覆証詐詠誇誊誓誕諧諷謁謄謎謙譜䜌讽诈诞谐谒谜谦谱豫貞販貯貳賂賃賄賊賜賢賤贈贞贤贩贮贰贱贼贾贿赁赂赐赠赦踊踴軒軸轩轴辣辱迭逆逝逮週遂遙遣遥遮邸酌酎酢酪酬酵酿釀釐釜釣鈍鈴銃銘錠錮錶鍊鍋鎌鑄钓钝铃铭铳铸锅锢锭閑闇阪陛陵隅隙隶隸雌雰霜霸静靜靴鞏韵韻頃頑頰頻顷顽颊频飢飼餌饥饲饵馱馳駒騷驛驮驰驹骚骸髓髮鬆鬱魅鯨鲸鶴鹤麓默鼠齋

rizen suha

状元
i guess that in and of itself completing the outlier dictionary will be a great achievement. especially if each and every expert entry ends up being as good as it possibly can be (outlier dict's raison d'être). if so, as a basic student, i will be more than satisfied with not "looking up" any particular character, but studying each and every character from the list of currently available. at a pace of studying 2 or 3 characters per day, a production rate of a "few dozen" characters per month will be good enough. keep up the good work and spirit!

Is there a list of all 4000 characters to be included in the final version? Would be nice to see what other character's etymologies we can look forward to in the future. :)

dylanious

秀才
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this but:

None of the links work for me on the outlier dictionary. I'm on android pleco version 3.2.75. Anyone have any tips?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd - you mean external links (websites etc) or even just links that are supposed to pop things up? Are you on a phone or a tablet? What version of Android?

dylanious

秀才
That's odd - you mean external links (websites etc) or even just links that are supposed to pop things up? Are you on a phone or a tablet? What version of Android?

Ah whoops I realized they work just fine when accessing them from the dictionary. I was trying to click them from directly from the flashcards interface - I guess the links not opening from there is expected behavior.

I just noticed the same (link not working in flashcard view). It's not a major deal, of course, but it would be nice if this worked. I see the Outlier entries almost exclusively through the flashcard system (as I systematically make my way through the characters I need to know and learn their structure).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, not supported in flashcards at the moment. (I think the original argument was that it was too easy to cheat that way but we should have an option to support them anyway)

For anyone considering the purchase of Outlier Dictionary... I believe they still have the Black Friday 40% discount sale going on on their website. Here's the discount code: BFCM2020 at checkout for 40% off your entire order.