Source Han Sans, according to its readme (https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans), only covers “complete URO, Extension A, and contemporary hangul syllable coverage, [as well as] the following 256-character Unicode blocks: U+00xx [ASCII], U+11xx [Hangeul], U+2Fxx through U+33xx (except for U+332C) [Hangeul and Kana], U+D7xx [Hangeul], U+FFxx [also ASCII??], and U+1F2xx [special characters for Japanese icons].” Extensions B through F (which are in the range U+200xx through U+2Fxx) are missing. There are a few extension fonts (i.e. seperate font files for the extension characters) for SimSun and PMingLiu at least, but at least the ones I have only cover up to C or D. To my knowledge HanaMinB is the only font which covers E. F is rather recent – only introduced in June – so it’s not covered yet, at least not in the version I have from the Ubuntu repositories. So far I have yet to encounter characters which need F though (but I do frequently use some from E so I do need that).That's interesting, because on iOS, another font, probably Source Han Sans, is substituted for rare characters. That should be an easy feature to add for Android: Selecting a main font and one for those characters the main font does not cover.
I agree that Pleco's behavior is proper, there just seems to be an issue with the underlying data. I agree with Abun because the way it's displayed in the Dictionary, you'd have two 聽s and no 者. Of course, a Google search returns no matches for a variant where the 者 (after the slash) could be replaced by 聽 (before the slash).
Nice font research! No worries, I had just guessed it was Source Han Sans because of the way it looked.In any case, maybe we should move this discussion to a different thread if you’re interested in pursuing it further
Yes, variant deletion for the flashcard works as it should. The problem is the variants are indicated incorrectly. As it is, the entry appears as 言者無心听/聽聽/者有意 (i.e. 聽 is treated as a variant for 听 and 者 is treated as a variant for the second 聽). As a result, the traditional field when exported to a flashcard shows – with variants deleted: 言者無心听聽有意. And I think we can all agree that that is not an acceptable variant spelling for 言者無心，聽者有意, much less the standard one
Just to explain my incorrect "Source Han Sans" guess. A small number of characters have a sans-serif font, maybe 1% of all characters. (for an example, see the lower half of screenshot) The remainder are serif fonts.We actually support the extended font on Android too - download that in "Add-ons" and you can use whatever CJK font you like for non-extended characters. And NewShuSong is a SongTi like HanaMin so they should go together pretty well.
Yep, that’s what I’m using on Pleco. I referred to the Ubuntu repository version because I checked the support on my desktop (I have no idea what characters were added in Ext. F so I just looked up the wiki page with my browser font set to HanaMinB).We actually support the extended font on Android too - download that in "Add-ons" and you can use whatever CJK font you like for non-extended characters.
Right, I got it mixed up with Source Han Sans… Weird seeing as the name should have given it away^^"And NewShuSong is a SongTi like HanaMin so they should go together pretty well.
Thanks, I’ll make sure to look it up!
thanks. i personally dont need to see them. and not needing them, they are kind of in the way, "clutter up" the reading of the info that i _am_ interested in. thanks for your reply and intention to have a look at it in 4.Not at the moment - we're kind of surprised so many people seem to object to them - but we'll probably do something about them in 4.0.