3.2.11 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Pleco for iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch' started by mikelove, May 26, 2016.

1. IMG_6188.PNG

ABY, CCY and GZH word - no Cantonese pronunciation tho.

2. @Abun & @Shun I believe that is the correct Pleco behavior for variants as I have seen it.

3. Abun

Abun 探花

Source Han Sans, according to its readme (https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans), only covers “complete URO, Extension A, and contemporary hangul syllable coverage, [as well as] the following 256-character Unicode blocks: U+00xx [ASCII], U+11xx [Hangeul], U+2Fxx through U+33xx (except for U+332C) [Hangeul and Kana], U+D7xx [Hangeul], U+FFxx [also ASCII??], and U+1F2xx [special characters for Japanese icons].” Extensions B through F (which are in the range U+200xx through U+2Fxx) are missing. There are a few extension fonts (i.e. seperate font files for the extension characters) for SimSun and PMingLiu at least, but at least the ones I have only cover up to C or D. To my knowledge HanaMinB is the only font which covers E. F is rather recent – only introduced in June – so it’s not covered yet, at least not in the version I have from the Ubuntu repositories. So far I have yet to encounter characters which need F though (but I do frequently use some from E so I do need that).

I could of course use HanaMin only as a fallback font and FZNewShuSong for the rest, but with the former being Songti and the latter Heiti, they don’t mix very well.

In any case, maybe we should move this discussion to a different thread if you’re interested in pursuing it further ;)

Shun likes this.
  4. Shun

Shun 状元

I agree that Pleco's behavior is proper, there just seems to be an issue with the underlying data. I agree with Abun because the way it's displayed in the Dictionary, you'd have two 聽s and no 者. Of course, a Google search returns no matches for a variant where the 者 (after the slash) could be replaced by 聽 (before the slash).

Nice font research! No worries, I had just guessed it was Source Han Sans because of the way it looked. ;)

Abun likes this.
  5. Abun

Abun 探花

Yes, variant deletion for the flashcard works as it should. The problem is the variants are indicated incorrectly. As it is, the entry appears as 言者無心听/聽聽/者有意 (i.e. 聽 is treated as a variant for 听 and 者 is treated as a variant for the second 聽). As a result, the traditional field when exported to a flashcard shows – with variants deleted: 言者無心听聽有意. And I think we can all agree that that is not an acceptable variant spelling for 言者無心,聽者有意, much less the standard one ;)

6. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

@Abun - thanks.

We actually support the extended font on Android too - download that in "Add-ons" and you can use whatever CJK font you like for non-extended characters. And NewShuSong is a SongTi like HanaMin so they should go together pretty well.

7. Shun

Shun 状元

Just to explain my incorrect "Source Han Sans" guess. A small number of characters have a sans-serif font, maybe 1% of all characters. (for an example, see the lower half of screenshot) The remainder are serif fonts.

extended font.png

The rarest characters at the end of the list are smaller & look like the character components in CHARS. Presumably, those aren't part of HanaMin.

extra rare.png

The world isn't perfect, so Pleco has its conundrums, as well, right? :)

8. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

That's because we fall back on the system PingFangSC/TC fonts (which look very very similar to Source Han Sans) first, before falling back on HanaMin. I suppose if you've selected FZNewShuSong as your default font it would make more sense for us to favor HanaMin over them but this is one of those things that comes up so infrequently that we don't spend a lot of time thinking about it :)

Shun likes this.
  9. Shun

Shun 状元

Great, thanks! :)

10. also: 天珩字库 seems to be the only font that supports all ext. f characters atm

11. Abun

Abun 探花

Yep, that’s what I’m using on Pleco. I referred to the Ubuntu repository version because I checked the support on my desktop (I have no idea what characters were added in Ext. F so I just looked up the wiki page with my browser font set to HanaMinB).

Right, I got it mixed up with Source Han Sans… Weird seeing as the name should have given it away^^"

Thanks, I’ll make sure to look it up!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 4:44 AM