[Unofficial] Feature Request / Suggestion List

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Can you include/exclude specific subcategories to this function?

Yes.

Could there be a button to add score to a flashcard whenever I have it popup in the reader (would be a great addition for getting rid of marked words if you already know them).

Already supported - doesn't trigger when you pop up a word, but rather you can set a filter for words that are masked by default (in which case the bubble will show a 'tap to reveal') and if you then tap to reveal the word it'll perform the score transformation of your choice.

jiangxia

I was trying to create flashcards for the vocabulary by search certain keywords. Let me explain with an example,

For example, I want to create deck of internet slangs. So I search "internet slang".... I get a bunch of search results. I want to batch add these to a new deck. I once did one by one but it's too hard and time consuming.

Is it possible to to make a deck from search results. For example, I want to make a deck for all the search results of the keyword "opp." Or "coll."

Miguel

状元
Already have a feature to highlight words in flashcards in documents.

Highlighting words added from within this specific document would be an interesting idea; we already do have an option to insert a link to the document in the card, wouldn't be too hard to add a feature that extended that in 4.1 or 4.2 or whatever.

Can you do that while reading an ebook inside of the Reader?

Miguel

状元
I know if mentioned before in other post but I'm still looking forward to:
-Show the color tags in the Pop up definition and while testing flashcards. So I don't need to go to the dictionary and back to know to which category that word belongs to.
-Also about flashcards tests. I'd like also to be able to hide/show the example sentences (just like in the dictionary)
Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Is it possible to to make a deck from search results. For example, I want to make a deck for all the search results of the keyword "opp." Or "coll."

No, not supported at the moment. I’d be a little nervous about that for copy protection reasons, actually - would be pretty easy to generate a list containing, sayevery single entry in ABC in order to export it.

Can you do that while reading an ebook inside of the Reader?
Yes, at the moment it works with any supported document type, even EPUBs and (non-scanned) PDFs.

-Show the color tags in the Pop up definition and while testing flashcards. So I don't need to go to the dictionary and back to know to which category that word belongs to.

In the works, yeah. Though I expect a lot of people will prefer tag color word highlighting.

I'd like also to be able to hide/show the example sentences

You mean as a toggle?

Miguel

状元
Yes, at the moment it works with any supported document type, even EPUBs and (non-scanned) PDFs.
How can I do it? I am using Android version and can't find it

In the works, yeah. Though I expect a lot of people will prefer tag color word highlighting.
That would be interesting too but in my case would not be so interesting since I have a lot of tags and would look like a bit messy for me. I like to see all the text in black (that is how we see texts all around anyways), and just check the words that I want and see their category tag in the pop up

You mean as a toggle?
Like the little button that collapses or shows all the sample sentences in the definition section

Weyland

探花
[NOT SURE IF BUG]

The reader's pop-up dictionary doesn't recognize entries that have punctuation.

1618991844637.png
1618991861402.png

1618991884935.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, the problem there was is the alternative was constantly finding words split by commas that weren’t actually words.

For 4.0 we now have a “punctuation can go here” flag in our search index so that we can match on punctuation-split words, but it’s been a very hairy feature to implement so I can’t promise it’ll actually ship.

Weyland

探花
I'm guessing all of these phrases/idioms that suffer from this problem are more than 6 characters in length. With most Chinese words being bisyllabic, wouldn't the issue be mostly mitigated if you excluded all entries that had less than 6 characters?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm guessing all of these phrases/idioms that suffer from this problem are more than 6 characters in length. With most Chinese words being bisyllabic, wouldn't the issue be mostly mitigated if you excluded all entries that had less than 6 characters?

Yes. But there are a lot of other benefits to adding pattern detection code so we're trying to solve everything that way - if we end up having to get rid of that we might consider a 6 (or 8) character cutoff then though.

Miguel

状元
Would it be possible to add in the flashcards a button to change between dictionaries before revealing the card? For me would be useful when I'm checking definitions of words and I have to know the hanzi and pronunciation. Sometimes I'd like to be able to change between PLC and CC dictionaries.

Weyland

探花
Make it possible to create dictionary entries while in the reader, and have the option to have said entries be limited to that specific file/book.

I'm currently reading a book that has a lot of pseudo-English names (made up by the writer) which are transcripted into Chinese characters. And while I have memorized the transcription table, it is sometimes a bit difficult to keep track of characters/place names, or even specific items within a story. Some light novels have a thousand+ chapters, and a light novel like 《武炼巅峰》has a story that is almost 18 million characters long. My story isn't even a fraction of that, and I'm starting to lose track. I would search the documents for mentions of said person/place, but due to my novel having a few thousand pages it also crashes every time I do a search. So, having a kind of system where you can make dictionary entries specific to a document would be really helpful.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Would it be possible to add in the flashcards a button to change between dictionaries before revealing the card? For me would be useful when I'm checking definitions of words and I have to know the hanzi and pronunciation.

That should be doable with custom settings, not something we built specifically but I don't believe there's anything that would stop you from customizing a test that way. (dictionary remap buttons can be added / invoked at any stage in a custom test)

Make it possible to create dictionary entries while in the reader, and have the option to have said entries be limited to that specific file/book.

First part of this is already supported, document-specific glossaries are an interesting idea - the question is whether we'd do them via flashcards (which are now searchable exactly like any other dictionary) or a separate user dictionary.

Hi! Is it possible/difficult to add the option "Remember the state of invert/orient buttons at the corners of the Screen OCR window"? I'm learning Chinese words in the thematic dictionary (pdf format) at the moment. Every new screen I have to rechoose the horizontal orientation of the characters again and again, 'cause Screen OCR automatically sets the vertical orientation, which often leads to translation of the first characters in the neighboring lines as one word instead of the actual word in the first of those lines (see the screenshot). It would be cool to be able to permanently set the states of those buttons (or at least the orient button) bypassing their automatic behavior. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-25-14-30-35-673_com.obreey.reader.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-25-14-30-35-673_com.obreey.reader.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Will add that to our to-do list, thanks.

Have you thought about simply opening the PDF in Pleco (as a Still Image for OCR)? That way you wouldn't have to keep fiddling with Screen OCR.

Will add that to our to-do list, thanks.

Have you thought about simply opening the PDF in Pleco (as a Still Image for OCR)? That way you wouldn't have to keep fiddling with Screen OCR.
I don't think that'll do for me, 'cause there are some features in Pocketbook Reader (which I use) that miss or I can't find in Pleco Still OCR like script reading mode (no pages), night mode, margins crop, etc. Anyway I really believe that Still OCR has its own functionality while various readers their own and it would be unreasonable in most cases to try to replace them with Still OCR. That's why I'm glad to hear that you added my request to to-do list. The Pocketbook Reader + Screen OCR bundle works like a charm for me. Only the functionality in my request lacks to make me completely happy. Thanks once more.

Kurent

Hi!
I have a minor suggestion. The stroke order tab on the definition screen can be customized to display a character and its stroke order either on a blank background or on different grids (2x2, 2x2 + diagonal, and 3x3). It would be nice if the handwriting input screen could also be customized the same way. I like using the Fill-in-the-blanks flashcard test set up so that I answer with a character that I write on the screen. The background there is blank, but I think it would be helpful if there was also the option to set it to those same grids available in the stroke order tab.
Thank you for making such a great app!

Kurent

That's actually already an option - Settings / Handwriting Input / Background.
Thank you for replying. I cannot find this option in my app. I did, however, find it in the manual for Pleco for iPhone, but not for Android, which I am using. I assume this setting is only available on iPhone (it is actually really a minor thing, I can live without it).