[Unofficial] Feature Request / Suggestion List

Shun

状元
Flashcards: Component character hint

I have a feature idea for a post-4.0 version. When studying multi-syllable words in the English-Chinese direction in Flashcards, in addition to showing the English meaning, Pleco could show the English meanings (and only the English meanings, without any Chinese characters that give away the solution) of all the constituent characters as a hint.

For example: Instead of/in addition to displaying "telephone; phone" when asking for 电话, Pleco could display "electricity" and "word; talk" for 电 and 话, if we assume that the user didn't know the solution for the composite word. The user is then expected to enter "电话". Especially for more advanced vocabulary, I imagine this could be a winning way of giving the user a hint when they need it, making them use the knowledge they probably already have and strengthening their sense for how Chinese words are composed.

For such special app behaviors, what may be ideal for a post-4.0 release of Pleco is a simple scripting language that would allow users to automate various operations in Pleco—such as the one above—and share their scripts with other users.

Maybe there are even more elegant ways of achieving this effect, I just wanted to bounce this idea off the forums. Do others also feel such a feature would help their studying in a productive way?

Cheers,

Shun

Last edited:

jurgen85

探花
On my keyboard you can hold down the number keys for a short period to enter superscripts like ⁰¹²³⁴. Sometimes I do this on accident, and it can take a while to notice what went wrong with the search. Could the search engine treat superscript numbers like normal numbers? (this could possibly be useful for some fringe copy-paste searching too)

I realize this might fall under the overheating spacebar user error category but I also don't see any harm. In fact, why not throw subscripts in there too for good measure!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I think this might already be supported by default, but if not it would be quite easy to do with an expert mode customization. (can apply any arbitrary text transformation to search input)

Arqui3D

举人
Reading speed statistics
Hi! Please add this one, if it hasn't been added already.
The following stats could keep you motivated to develop the habit of reading more:

-Minutes in chapter and minutes left in book, similar to Kindle.
-Reading speed per day.
-Dictionary lookups per thousand characters, per day.

Lately I've been practicing touch typing on a website, and the stats keep me going! I think Pleco could do something similar.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not currently supported, but certainly possible as a potential 4.1 or later feature - speed calculations are a little dicey though given that an awful lot of the content people read in Pleco is transient stuff in the clip reader / web reader / OCR / etc and not just all easily trackable e-books.

Arqui3D

举人
easily trackable e-books.
Hi, Mike. Thanks for your reply. That's what I was thinking about: e-books. Both native Pleco e-books and epub/txt files loaded by the user.
This would benefit sales of Pleco e-books, because people would have extra motivation to finish a book, and after finishing one, they'll want more.