3.1.2/3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

etm001

状元
Definitely still not seeing this - could you let me know exactly which screen you're launching Edit Card from?

Organize cards -> [choose category] -> [choose card] -> edit card text -> [select pinyin or definition field]

Attached is a screenshot of the keyboard after selecting the definition field. Am I doing something wrong or have something misconfigured?

Attachments

• 2014-02-25 19.44.32.png
    2014-02-25 19.44.32.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 643

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, that's because you're using the iOS floating keyboard option - drag the keyboard back to the bottom of the screen (tap and drag the button on the bottom right corner) and that should get it to behave again. In theory we'd like to be able to support scrolling around it, but iOS TextView scrolling is so dysfunctional at the moment that frankly we'd have to spend way too much time doing that than we can really justify given the small number of users who actually keep their keyboards in that position.

etm001

状元
Geez don't I feel stupid - I didn't even know floating keyboard was an option, I just thought it was how they keyboard was displayed in iOS 7. Well, consider me one happy customer now, thanks!

Paul Duke

进士
Two questions:

1) Wild card characters. Is this gone in Version 3? I found this very useful in version 2. Just the other day I was trying to remember ~~白雪 and it took me a while to figure out 阳春白雪. With the old version I would have had it in seconds.

2) The function to move flashcards from one category to another is weird.
I go into a category of flashcards.
Click edit in the upper right
Select a card
Click "move" at the bottom
Get a list of other categories
Click the category I want to move the card to
Am returned to the original category
The card I wanted to move is still there
The other category does not have that card

Is there something I'm misunderstanding? Is that "Move" button for something else? Seems like the same behavior with copy.

However after fiddling around with the "batch" button I was able to move some flashcards with some fairly unintuitive guessing as to what to do.

Feature? Bug?

Thanks. PD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@etm001 - no problem!

@Paul Duke - 1) Not gone, we just eliminated the dedicated button; you can type a ? or a @ on your keyboard as a single-character wildcard and a * or a $ as a multi-character one.

2) That's a bug - you're using an outdated version of Pleco (3.1.0), update to the latest version and that will fix it.

JD

状元
Sometimes when I use the CHAR tab and go to a component, if I press the head character with the CHAR tab still selected, the following shows up in the popup definition (this is not the case with any other tab selected):

.45 (21C):
N.[复数] . 45 s, . 45' s<fd/>
1 英寸口径的手枪
2 英寸口径的手枪子弹
ADJ.
1 英寸口径的手枪的
2 (使用)直径.45英寸子弹的

Found a reproducible example of this, if you haven't already found one.
1). Search for 绿 and select the first one.
2). Go to the Chars tab
3). Select 录 from the Components section.
4). When the new screen comes up, touch the header character at the top of the screen (the char in 3)
5). You should see something like in the quote above.

Shun

状元
I remember reading about this, but can't find it now. Reading a 14-page PDF document using Pleco 3.1.2 on an iPad 3, I get 4-second delays before the popup definition is displayed. The text highlight appears right away, just the bubble takes longer. The iPad had just been restarted. I can send you the PDF if necessary.

Paul Duke

进士
@etm001 - no problem!

@Paul Duke - 1) Not gone, we just eliminated the dedicated button; you can type a ? or a @ on your keyboard as a single-character wildcard and a * or a $ as a multi-character one.

2) That's a bug - you're using an outdated version of Pleco (3.1.0), update to the latest version and that will fix it.

Thanks much for the reply!

laobaigou

举人
If you are looking at a document in the Reader, and you click a character and then hit the megaphone icon, then a || (pause) symbol appears to stop it playing, but if to go into the dictionary and by mistake you tap the speaker icon for an example sentence (in HDC/PLC) there doesn't seem to be a way to shut the darn thing up. No pause/stop icon. Is that true? That would be a nice thing to have. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No pause button for those yet, yeah - might make sense to have the audio button itself serve that function but the threading is kind of tricky and we'll probably save that change for 3.2 (when we no longer have to worry about how things will behave on iOS 6).

Shun

状元
When going into 弹 (pinyin "tan2") I get a fine definition using all of my dictionaries, also only of the character pronounced "tan2". If I then want to see all words containing the character (frequency sorting is turned on in
Settings), I run into two issues I couldn't find the solution to in the manual:

- The results are mixed with words containing a different character, the 弹 that's pronounced "dan4".
- I only get results from a single dictionary, in this case the MoEdict.

I include a screenshot. My Manage Dictionaries settings should be normal.

A common character like 好 hao3 worked better, here word occurrences are selected from all dictionaries, but different characters like 好 hao1 are also included. If there's a setting to change this behavior to only include exact character matches, I apologize in advance.

image.jpg

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - looks like a glitch in the pronunciation filter for WORDS that's excluding the non-user-dictionary "tan2"s. (we don't currently pronunciation-filter user dictionaries in that screen, so it's normal that you'd see all of the results from MoE in it but not normal that you'd be missing the results from other dictionaries)

Shun

状元
Yes, I think I can confirm that.

What about if I search for the pinyin "hao" without specifying the tone, I get a list with 好 "hao1", then 好 "hao3", and then 好 "hao4". Next are 号 "hao2" and 号 "hao4". The frequency sorting seems to group characters of the same character shape and frequency-sort entire groups, ordered by tone number. If the dictionary engine has frequency data for each character-pronunciation combination, shouldn't each character-pronunciation combination be frequency-sorted individually?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, but checking the data it looks like in that particular case, 好 is so much more common than 号 that all of 好's pronunciations (all three of which are reasonably widespread) end up ahead of any of 号's.

Shun

状元
But then the problem remains that "hao3" should come before "hao4" and "hao1". In different characters that look alike, the one with a first tone always comes before one with a second, which comes before one with a third tone, and so on.