3.1.2/3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Should be up shortly, version history here.

Absent any more serious bug discoveries, 3.1.34 probably won't be out for another month or so, will very likely be the last release in the 3.1.x series, and because of that will also very likely be the last release of Pleco that's compatible with iOS 6. So if you're an iOS 6 user with no plans to upgrade in the near future, please let us know if there's anything about 3.1 that's bugging you enough that it will keep you from enjoying Pleco in the long term if we don't address it in 3.1.4.

We're combining 3.1.2 and 3 in this thread since the only thing we changed in 3.1.3 was the emergency iOS 7.1 bug fix - everything else here is still pending for 3.1.4.

Last edited:

etm001

状元
I thought I mentioned this in the 3.0.0 thread, but perhaps not. There are different places in Pleco where the iOS keyboard covers the field in which data is being entered. For example when editing a custom card, the keyboard overlays on top of the pinyin and definition fields. Or, when choosing to split a card category, the "split into categories of" field is similarly obscured by the keyboard. Is this a Pleco issue or an iOS issue? It's really frustrating.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
iOS 6 or 7 / iPhone or iPad? And by 'covers' do you mean that it covers it so that it's impossible to access at all, or just that you have to scroll down to access it?

etm001

状元
iOS 7. It covers it so that it's impossible to access. There's no way to scroll the window such that I can move the fields up and above the keyboard in order to see what I'm typing.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not seeing this here at all - just tested on a small and a large-screen iPhone plus an iPad, all with iOS 7. "Split into categories of" is particularly puzzling since the keyboard shouldn't even get that high on the screen.

What specific model of device (iPhone or iPad) do you have? Is this iOS 7.0.4 or some other version? Which system keyboard are you using? And is your device jailbroken?

Hi Mike,

Why is that when I edit a definition in the USR dictionary, the asterisks disappear.

Pic 1 shows the text which I've copied and pasted in from Skritter.
Pic 2 shows when I edit it (sometimes I change the story slightly at a later date).

I use the asterisks to highlight the word which is a building block of the character. Helps me memorise characters better (using Heisig).

Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 581
Sometimes when I use the CHAR tab and go to a component, if I press the head character with the CHAR tab still selected, the following shows up in the popup definition (this is not the case with any other tab selected):

.45 (21C):
N.[复数] . 45 s, . 45' s<fd/>
1 英寸口径的手枪
2 英寸口径的手枪子弹
ADJ.
1 英寸口径的手枪的
2 (使用)直径.45英寸子弹的

I'm very pleased with version 3 in general; the only thing I miss from version 2 is the "components" capabilities. Is there a reason why the new version has a more gimped directory of component characters as opposed to the exhaustive links offered in the older version? For instance, for the character 屬, in the old version there is an exhaustive list of components; on the other hand the new version, while adding a radical field, has only one component listed. I often used these links to group and study characters by similarities of modern form.
IMG_5133.PNG
IMG_0797.PNG

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That old Chars data came from the CDL database that we licensed from Wenlin for stroke order; the new one is assembled from some open-source data plus a good bit of editing on our end. However, the new data should be pretty comparable in most characters - it looks like in this particular case there's a database glitch (didn't drill down into a particular properly); 尸 and 氺 should be showing up along with 蜀. So we'll try to fix that for 3.1.3.

The main intentional difference is that we no longer display all of those empty / definition-less intermediate components we used to display in version 2; to be honest, they weren't arranged that consistently (not every character with a particular combination would show up), and in a lot of cases, slight graphical variations on the same component would show up separately. We're working on a feature to let you search for a character as a combination of components, but that probably won't be supported until 3.2 or 3.3; in the meantime, we feel that the greater consistency of this system makes it a net improvement over the old one.

尚 shàng/cháng doesn't show up as a component of 常 cháng (shown as 吊 + 龸, but with radical 巾) or 党[黨] dǎng (simplified shown as 龸 + 兄, but with radical 儿, traditional with only 黑). 償 cháng shows 亻/人 as only component.
龸 has no dictionary entries and is what you called an "empty/definition-less component". But I still think it is it helpfull to be able to click on it and see its compounds.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
常 is a tough one - probably should be listed under both breakdowns. (We're not going for linguistic accuracy here but rather for visual logic)

龸 we would still display, I said "intermediate component" by which I meant something that's a meaningless combination of two other components. The single component comprising 尸 and 氺, for example.

yuvalcho

举人
Not sure if it's even a bug, but in the beigining of version 3, each dict had the plus "+" button next to it in order to add it as a flashcard, plus even showing u if it's in the DB...now it's gone...is it on purpose? is it a disabled feature that i have to look up in the settings somewhere hidden?

etm001

状元
I thought I mentioned this in the 3.0.0 thread, but perhaps not. There are different places in Pleco where the iOS keyboard covers the field in which data is being entered. For example when editing a custom card, the keyboard overlays on top of the pinyin and definition fields. Or, when choosing to split a card category, the "split into categories of" field is similarly obscured by the keyboard. Is this a Pleco issue or an iOS issue? It's really frustrating.

Not seeing this here at all - just tested on a small and a large-screen iPhone plus an iPad, all with iOS 7. "Split into categories of" is particularly puzzling since the keyboard shouldn't even get that high on the screen.

What specific model of device (iPhone or iPad) do you have? Is this iOS 7.0.4 or some other version? Which system keyboard are you using? And is your device jailbroken?

Sorry, I realize now that "split cards into categories" is not covered by the keyboard - the keyboard appears below and flush with the field without obscuring it.

In regards to the edit card-->pinyin and definition fields, I did report the problem correctly, i.e., the fields are covered by the keyboard. This is on an iPad 3, iOS 7.0.4, non-jailbroken. I have traditional Chinese pinyin/zhuyin/handwriting keyboards enabled, in addition to English. I should note that this problem exits when using the iPad in landscape orientation - the fields are not blocked by the keyboard in portrait orientation.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Definitely still not seeing this - could you let me know exactly which screen you're launching Edit Card from?