2.5.0 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexis

状元
I'm loving the pleco beta so far.

Noticed a few things (I'm using iOS7 GM):

- Audio is really quiet. In Settings -> Audio, the volume is set to 10, but when you click on it, the selection is set to 1. If you change the volume, it always reverts to 1 when you go back in the volume selection screen. I already downloaded the male and female files.

-After downloading a free add-on, keeps the "size in MBs" button, which makes it look like you still need to download it. Suggest doing the same as paid add-ons, replacing the button with a right arrow, and making the text grey.

- Stroke order okay up to 9th stroke (ie displays 9/14 in a 14 stroke char; but after that displays "1...".

Last edited:
The first impression is good! The new icon is neat and the new fonts, too.

A couple of quick observations:

1. How does one look up a word / browse through words in a specific dictionary?
2. I like how CC-CEDICT now also supports the look-up by Taiwan pr.
3. I also like how it now merges entries with variant characters in the same way ABC handles those.
4. If you look up 四害 and check the CC section of the definition, there are spaces missing in DaMaqueYundong.

Hi,

I like the new look, especially the multi-dictionary display.

Was able to check out the beta for a couple of hours. One thing I noticed when launching the app was the fish character was on the screen for a long time, the app took a long time to load. Now the app won't open, it crashes. I'll try restarting my iPad and see if that helps.

Do I need to be connected to the internet for the beta to work? Lost internet connection and it was crashing; got back online and am able to open the app.

I'm using an iPad 2, with iOS 6.1.3 (10B329)

Will report back later with more feedback.

Alexis

状元
- I had left Pleco in the "about" screen last night. When I opened Pleco today I got the pop-up message "PSPDFKit Evaluation Thank you for testing the evaluation version of PSPDFKit. The demo is time-limited and will close now. Select 'Open Website' or instructions how to obtain a license." I pressed OK and Pleco crashed.

- When I go to "Help" I get the following message:
Not Found
The requested URL /manual/250/index.html was not found on this server.

- in the OCR menu O have three menu items: "Live OCR" , "Open Still Image", and "asset". Pressing "asset" takes me to the OCR still image screen the last image i was OCRing open.

- in the history screen, the top navigation bar overlaps the entry panel such that the top of the entry is obscured.

Last edited:

yoose

探花
I got a pop several times saying that my PSPDFKIT license has expired and to go to a website to get a license. Its not consistent and I cant duplicate it on demand.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks.

Alexis - noted on audio / stroke. The "size in MBs" button should go away after you download the add-on - were you waiting on that screen while it downloaded or did you switch to a different screen and then go back?

golden chyld - you can pick an individual dictionary by tap-holding on the dictionary switch button, or enable them for quick button-tapping access by turning off the "skip on button tap" option for them in Manage Dictionaries.

Slim Smith - does it load faster if you turn off the option to automatically check for updates? (you can do that in Settings / Miscellaneous) This may also be a function of TestFlight's reporting / crash log collection system.

Alexis/yoose - PSPDFKit is a known problem, has to do with the beta using a different ID from our official app. Oddly enough there's no way to simply load that PDF library on demand, it has to be activated on startup and even if you don't view a PDF it still dies after an hour.

Alexis - manual hasn't been updated yet. "Asset" should have a more intelligent name but the other items in that menu are actually a history of recently opened files so that's basically what it's supposed to be doing.

Alexis

状元
False alarm on the audio too quiet. It plays fine on headphones. my ipad speaker just happened to break in the past couple days :( Though, The setting oddity still applies.

While downloading I turned off the ipad, and probably switched out.

yoose

探花
Some additional findings.

In the clipboard history, using the kai font, on one entry where I looked up 论坛, i see 4 boxes with "?" in them like there are characters missing that it cant display, but there shouldn’t be any characters there, hopefully the file upload of the screenshot works, if not I will email it to you mike.

in the download section, if you press pause all, it still says pause all after that instead of something like resume all. not a big deal overall.

i have the beta version on my iPhone still on 6.1.3. I updated my iPad to iOS 7 and when I tried to restore my purchases, it says "This is not a Test User account. Please create a new account in the Sandbox environment. [Environment: Sandbox]"

In Settings->Audio->Text-to-speech->Sentence Voice is the option suppose to control the voice of the reading in the document reader such as the clipboard as well as the sentences in the dictionary section? I select Cantonese and the sentences are still read in Mandarin, the Cantonese recordings work for individual words. I know you said the TTS is still experimental and maybe the Cantonese option doesn’t work yet, but wanted to make sure.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alex - Ah, thanks for the update.

yoose - Thanks for the screenshot email.

The Test User problem relates to this being a beta, nothing to worry about.

The sentence voice option only applies if you haven't bought our TTS add-on (since it doesn't support Cantonese) - we should probably either hide the option in that case or keep it but put up some sort of warning that you're using Apple's TTS even though you've bought ours.

EDIT: The built-in TTS system doesn't work on iOS 6, they only made it accessible to developers on iOS 7. So that's why you're not getting Cantonese TTS in sentences.

Last edited:

BanMai

秀才
I encountered a problem when adding a flashcard from search. When I try to scroll through my multitudes of flashcard folders, the text gets all messed up. See screenshot.

Also, I know that I can have a folder within a folder in the Flashcards organizer, but I can't add words from the dictionary to those folders inside. So I just end up making folders for each chapters from my books, which can get disorganized...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 729

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually an iOS 7 bug, but we probably do need some kind of workaround.

For the subcategories, turn on "Multi-level cat prompt" in the Flashcards section of Settings.

moelicious

秀才
I can't get testflight working properly. I've received the beta testing eMail yesterday, but the link doesn't work for me. I can only see the PLECO beta file download site from my desktop PC, as soon as i try it on the iPad, it's gone and I get this error message.
My iPad runs iOS7 now, I've tried re-installing the testflight certificate over and over, restarted the iPad, it didn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 729
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 587

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you sure this device is actually registered for the beta? I have you down with an iPhone 4 - we were only able to authorize one device per tester.

moelicious

秀才
With the iPhone4 it seems to be the same issue, right now with iOS7 and last night while still running iOS6 on the iPhone4. I can see the beta file from my desktop browser, but not on the iPhone. Anything that could be done or did I screw it up beyond repair? Thanks.

Attachments

• testflightwindows.jpg
    testflightwindows.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_1136.PNG
    IMG_1136.PNG
    54.5 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_1137.PNG
    IMG_1137.PNG
    58.5 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_1138.PNG
    IMG_1138.PNG
    67.4 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_1139.PNG
    IMG_1139.PNG
    91.3 KB · Views: 764

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oddly enough it looks like for some reason your access to the beta had been disabled in the permissions screen. (and only yours, not any other tester's) Anyway I've fixed that now so if you try again it should hopefully work.

moelicious

秀才
Wow, thanks a lot, it is downloading at the moment. Really looking forward to testing the new Pleco and leaving a review later.

BanMai

秀才
I tired purchasing the new fonts but it gives me an error message: "Catalog Not Loaded. Sorry, we're having diffuclty fetching current price information from Apple's servers - please wait a few seconds and try again"

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Email us with your Registration ID and we'll activate them for you for free - Apple's system won't let us sell IAP in a beta app.

yoose

探花
Alex - Ah, thanks for the update.

yoose - Thanks for the screenshot email.

The Test User problem relates to this being a beta, nothing to worry about.

The sentence voice option only applies if you haven't bought our TTS add-on (since it doesn't support Cantonese) - we should probably either hide the option in that case or keep it but put up some sort of warning that you're using Apple's TTS even though you've bought ours.

EDIT: The built-in TTS system doesn't work on iOS 6, they only made it accessible to developers on iOS 7. So that's why you're not getting Cantonese TTS in sentences.

hi mike,

well the problem is with my iPad it wont let me restore purchases, so the paid package I had from before doesn’t work, including the handwriting and flashcards which I use a lot. any work around on this?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Do you still have the old app installed? If so, just copy over the Registration ID and you should be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.