2.5.0 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoose

探花
Not sure if this has been mentioned: when searching for words in the dictionary, the characters/letters "jump up" and "levitate" until the keyboard is closed and the cursor disappears; then they go back down. I can send a screen shot if you need one.

i have the same problem and emailed Mike about it before this thread got started, he said its related to the fonts.

sk

beautiful beta. thanks for all the work. the new version is far more intuitive.

first observations:

- If selecting 'history' in either OCR mode I am stuck and can't return without restarting the app
(maybe I am missing something here)

- first time I opened the sidebar from Live OCR and selected 'Search' the app crashed. Couldn't reproduce this so far.

and some minor observations:

- the blue highlights in the search results for English words are very dominant.
Unfortunately setting the 'tint/highlight color' also changes the menu highlights.

- 'Welcome! Enter your search!' becomes a bit redundant after a while.

[iphone 5 // ios 6.1.4]

Earl

举人
I'm using a jailbroken iPad 2 (iOS 6.1.2) [10B146]

I love the new design. Hovever, I would suggest adding a switch for turning off side bar gestures. I would prefer tapping the sidebar grabber to initiate the slide open action. Currently, it's just too easy to inadvertently invoke the sidebar.

dcarpent

榜眼
I ran into a rather serious problem. This is on my iPad3. I scanned a chapter of a book, saved it as a pdf, ran OCR on it and then uploaded it to Pleco. I opened it in the Reader and all seemed fine. The next time that I opened Pleco I saw a screen that had the normal banner for the Reader across the top, with the title "Chapter 14" (the chapter I had been reading) and a empty dark grey screen below; no text. The button to access the pull out menu was showing at the top but was unresponsive. The program had basically frozen. I had updated to iOS 7 the say before, though had had no problems up to last night, so I don't know if this is relevant or not. Anyway, after figuring out how to shut down an application on iOS 7 is killed Pleco are restarted it. Same result. When it launched it was still frozen with the same blank screeen. Basically I can no longer access the beta version on my iPad. I tried turning the iPad off and restarting it, but same result. When I launch it I get a blank dark grey screen with a white band across the top saying "Chapter 14". Any ideas of how to get beta working again?

Earl

举人
Landscape Mode:
..Flashcards:
......Show: Definition
......Test type: Fill-in-the-blanks
......Prompt for: Pinyin

has content display problems.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sk: OCR history already reported, thanks. We'll see if we can find the crash in our logs.

With the highlights, we actually thought they were insufficiently dominant before which was why we made that switch - also blue text on iOS 7 implies tappability so we thought it might get confusing to just randomly blue-color parts of results.

"Welcome" is redundant / annoying, yes - fill-in for something better that we're still writing.

Earl: in iOS 7 Apple has actually adopted a not-easily-disableable systemwide swipe gesture to go back to the previous level screen, so we use it in the sidebar for consistency. So there's not really any point to making it optional because people will be stuck with it anyway in iOS 7. Is there anywhere in particular that you've found it going off when it shouldn't be? (we know that's happening in flashcard fill-in-the-blanks and we think we've fixed that for the next beta but we weren't aware of any other problem screen)

dcarpent: if you swipe left-to-right that should get the sidebar to appear so that you can switch out of this screen. Otherwise, go into the system Settings app / Pleco and enable the switch to reset everything to defaults.

Earl: yeah, seeing that here too - very odd.

Earl

举人
sk: OCR history already reported, thanks. We'll see if we can find the crash in our logs.

With the highlights, we actually thought they were insufficiently dominant before which was why we made that switch - also blue text on iOS 7 implies tappability so we thought it might get confusing to just randomly blue-color parts of results.

"Welcome" is redundant / annoying, yes - fill-in for something better that we're still writing.

Earl: in iOS 7 Apple has actually adopted a not-easily-disableable systemwide swipe gesture to go back to the previous level screen, so we use it in the sidebar for consistency. So there's not really any point to making it optional because people will be stuck with it anyway in iOS 7. Is there anywhere in particular that you've found it going off when it shouldn't be? (we know that's happening in flashcard fill-in-the-blanks and we think we've fixed that for the next beta but we weren't aware of any other problem screen)

dcarpent: if you swipe left-to-right that should get the sidebar to appear so that you can switch out of this screen. Otherwise, go into the system Settings app / Pleco and enable the switch to reset everything to defaults.

Earl: yeah, seeing that here too - very odd.

Mike: Clipboard Reader:: Select Text:: Extend text selection to the right opens sidebar.

Alexis

状元
Just in case this got missed:

- in the history screen, the top navigation bar overlaps the entry panel such that the top of the entry is obscured.

yoose

探花
for the flashcards, after i finish a session (i have it on repeat incorrect words, with loop and shuffle turned on) it brings me to the "New Test Session" screen that has an option to "begin new test". When i press that it just goes to the flashcard screen with the "session complete" popup and tells me that I have no cards due. i select stop and it doesn’t take me back to the main flashcard screen, instead it takes me back to the "New Test Session" screen again. To exit that loop I go to the sidebar and select "New Test" at which point a popup asks if i want to cancel my current session, which should have ended by itself.

other test settings:
Test type: self-graded
Show: Characters
Subject Selection: Simple

BanMai

秀才
This is what Alexis was talking about...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 531

dcarpent

榜眼
"if you swipe left-to-right that should get the sidebar to appear so that you can switch out of this screen. Otherwise, go into the system Settings app / Pleco and enable the switch to reset everything to defaults." I tried both of these methods and neither worked. I still see only a dark grey screen, even after the reset.

Earl

举人
I'm using a jailbroken iPad 2 (iOS 6.1.2)

Pleco Audio Bug Report

1. Open Mobile Safari to a page with HTML5 audio.
2. Choose audio; it will play with appropiate volume (full volume)
3. Open Pleco and play the audio for a word in the dictionary
4. Task switch to Safari and play the same audio. (very low volume)
5. Close Pleco from the taskbar
6. Task switch to Safari and play the audio again. (full volume!)

sych

榜眼
If I'm in Flashcards and I tap a word in the dictionary entry, then try to add it as a Flashcard and get the "duplicate card" prompt (pictured), then hit Card Info, the prompt closes and I do not see any card info. Instead I am returned to the flashcards session.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 507
Sometimes when you are inside the definition window of an entry and you swipe to the right (as in trying to go to the previous page), the keyboard pops out from the left (along with the previous page). I can't really reproduce it, but it just happens on random.

EDIT: ok, I'm able to reproduce it now. It seems to happen every time you clear the Search field and then look up any character/word.

Steps to reproduce the bug:

1. Enter any py into the Search field.
2. Tap on any random character/word entry that shows up.
3. Slowly start swiping from left to right and you'll notice the keyboard appearing from the left.
4. When you've swiped completely, you'll be back on the previous page (i.e. search results).
5. Now you can clear the Search field and perform a new search and retry steps 1-3.

Last edited:

Alexis

状元
In the "purchased but not D/L'd" page of add-ons, is it possible, for the add-on being currently downloaded, to use the same download progress icon that is used in the App Store? With the swirly thing it looks like they're all waiting, but not downloading.

Note: I am using the "Download All" button. All the add-ons in the list say "download in progress", but most of them are actually queued. Suggest having the status "queued" and only changing to "download in progress" when it is downloading.

Also, if I cancel a download, they show up under the installed add-ons page (but probably shouldn't).

Last edited:

Alexis

状元
- In Reader -> Web Reader -> "eyeglass icon", Can HTML tags be automatically parsed out of the results?

- In Reader -> Open File, can PDF and ePub files show up with icons that display their respective file extensions instead go the generic TXT icon?

Last edited:

Earl

举人
Choose dictionary: does not let you choose a dictionary if you have too many dictionaries installed.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    143.2 KB · Views: 523

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Earl - Yeah, we need to block that gesture in a few other places it seems. (would be much easier if we just required iOS 7 since there's a clean systemwide way to do it on that)

Alexis / BanMai - thanks; those split views are really dicey in general, particularly on iOS 7 with its flexible interpretations of default scroll positions.

yoose - ah, seems like we're not resetting the session-in-progress flag correctly in that case - thanks. However there is no more "main flashcard screen," so it was actually taking you back to the correct place, it's just that it shouldn't have been prompting you to end an in-progress test that wasn't actually in progress.

dcarpent - did you reboot your iPad after turning on that 'reset all settings' switch? Might be that Pleco was still running - the switch only takes effect on startup. (mainly designed to deal with startup crashes rather than frozen screens)

Earl - that Safari bug is an odd one; have you turned down Pleco's audio volume setting to something other than 10?

sych - thanks.

golden chyld - this seems to be an iOS 7 issue, actually; the problem is basically that the keyboard is sliding in before the rest of the search screen does, right? But it's vanishing again if you slide back / cancel the swipe gesture?

Alexis - yeah, we definitely need to update that part of the UI; to be honest Add-ons was redesigned at the very last minute when we realized that there were about to be too many items to get by without some sort of hierarchical view and we realized that the original had been done badly enough (when nobody here knew anything about iOS development) that it needed a major rewrite. So that's getting a lot of attention now and should be considerably better shortly.

HTML tags generally do get parsed out of those results - are you seeing a lot of them or just the occasional one or two? Better folder / file icons are coming, just trying to decide on the proper icon set.

Earl - are you able to scroll down in that list by dragging it? (looks like buttons but it's actually not)

Earl

举人
Earl - Yeah, we need to block that gesture in a few other places it seems. (would be much easier if we just required iOS 7 since there's a clean systemwide way to do it on that)

Alexis / BanMai - thanks; those split views are really dicey in general, particularly on iOS 7 with its flexible interpretations of default scroll positions.

yoose - ah, seems like we're not resetting the session-in-progress flag correctly in that case - thanks. However there is no more "main flashcard screen," so it was actually taking you back to the correct place, it's just that it shouldn't have been prompting you to end an in-progress test that wasn't actually in progress.

dcarpent - did you reboot your iPad after turning on that 'reset all settings' switch? Might be that Pleco was still running - the switch only takes effect on startup. (mainly designed to deal with startup crashes rather than frozen screens)

Earl - that Safari bug is an odd one; have you turned down Pleco's audio volume setting to something other than 10?
Mike - I tried all Pleco volume settings with the same results.

sych - thanks.

golden chyld - this seems to be an iOS 7 issue, actually; the problem is basically that the keyboard is sliding in before the rest of the search screen does, right? But it's vanishing again if you slide back / cancel the swipe gesture?

Alexis - yeah, we definitely need to update that part of the UI; to be honest Add-ons was redesigned at the very last minute when we realized that there were about to be too many items to get by without some sort of hierarchical view and we realized that the original had been done badly enough (when nobody here knew anything about iOS development) that it needed a major rewrite. So that's getting a lot of attention now and should be considerably better shortly.

HTML tags generally do get parsed out of those results - are you seeing a lot of them or just the occasional one or two? Better folder / file icons are coming, just trying to decide on the proper icon set.

Earl - are you able to scroll down in that list by dragging it? (looks like buttons but it's actually not)
Mike - no it does not scroll

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Seems like a glitch on Apple's end, then, since action sheets are supposed to scroll when they have too many items - anyway we'll have to rig up some sort of workaround, then, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.