2.0.1 (final) Bug Report Thread

weight

举人
Mike,

I just recently started using Zhuyin a lot for input and I'm finding that I'm getting a lot of resets, usually within the first five minutes or so of doing a series of searches. I guess I wasn't using Zhuyin extensively enough during testing to catch it. I'm curious if you've seen this?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Haven't seen it, but I personally don't even know Zhuyin so I haven't been testing it much - is there any particular pattern to this, a certain word / syllable that often seems to set it off?

jiacheng

榜眼
Not sure if this is a bug or intended behavior, but I've noticed that in the flashcards, there seems to be no way to display variants of a word, and will simply pick the first variant form. for example:
my card for the following entry:

júzi*|橘/桔子|n. tangerine M:ge/²zhī

will simply display: 橘子 in a flashcard session.

I feel like it should display both forms.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's deliberate, but you can work around it in 2.0.2 beta by enabling the "head / pron from dictionary" option in the Tests panel of Advanced Settings - only works in Self-Scored but it's something at least.

Installed Pleco 2.0.1 and extended audio.
Imported ABC.txt flashcards and used them without problem.
Imported HSK.txt flashcards.
When I tried to use the flash cards it said that there were no flashcards. The categories were still there but not the flashcards.
I exited Pleco and restarted it, but when I tried to open Flashcards the following error message appeared:

Sorry, the flashcard system failed to initialize correctly - please exit Pleco, soft reset (reboot) your handheld and try again.

I performed the soft reset but the same thing happens each time.
If I try to add a flashcard, the same thing happens

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... did you install the extended audio in your iPAQ's internal memory? Perhaps it's running low on storage space - go to Start, Settings, System, Memory - how much free storage memory do you have? If you ran very low on memory it's possible that could screw up the database / prevent it from initializing or even corrupt it, and it would make sense that that second list import might push it over the edge.

Hey,
I was just getting my wife upgraded to Pleco 2.0.1, and we ran into some errors. While finishing up the final drill of her first flashcard session with 2.0.1, she got an error that required a soft reset (had to tap the button on the back). No great loss, but I started trying to find out other problems and realized that if I am in the main "Pleco Flashcards" screen and I try to turn off the power on the Palm, we get the following error, every time:

Fatal Alert
DataMgr.c, Line:10703,
Can't move open DB

Then I have to reset

Let us know how to fix this. Its not a problem on my T|X

Her specs:
Palm Tungsten E2
12.6 of 29.7 MB free
378.5M of 952.1 M free on SD Card
Palm OS Garnet v. 5.4.7

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is usually caused by the system running very low on database cache memory, which happens to be a particularly big problem on the Tungsten E2 since Palm shipped it with a smaller database cache than any other Palm OS 5 handheld before or since. Getting rid of any nonessential data files (demo / rarely-used dictionaries, extended audio) might help a bit, as could paring down the size of her flashcard database, but I'm afraid there's no simple solution for this - the E2 just isn't a very good system for running Pleco 2.0.

character

状元
Hit a strange problem where I could use HW recognition to look up 闆 bǎn but when I went to get the definition it was not in ABC (but 老闆 lǎobǎn is). On Wenlin it's both there as an independent character and part of 老闆.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In my copy of Wenlin at least it doesn't come up as an independent character - they only list it as being part of 老闆. You can get a definition for it in Pleco via Unihan, but it's not part of the ABC dictionary.

character

状元
Thanks; it was a little confusing to have the character recognized but no definition of any kind available.