2.0.1 (final) Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That may not get fixed until we add official support for sentence flashcards, but we can take a look and see if there's any simple way to preserve those spaces in 2.0.2 without causing problems for other functionality.

Also, when making a custom flashcard the program will not allow you to leave the "simplified" field empty. If there is nothing in this field then you cannot leave the edit flashcard screen.

In order to make custom flash cards with only traditional text I need to put the traditional characters into the simplified field - then it works. I hope this doesn't mess up anything up down the road...

HW60

状元
The following error only occurs
- in Review Only Mode (I normally use Alternating Free Answer Mode)
- when the definition of a flashcard has additional Chinese characters

In that case the Chinese characters are invisible in Review Only Mode, and also in the I(nformation) Screen and the Edit Card Screen, when started in Review Only Mode. In all other modes, especially in Free Answer Mode and Manage Flashcards, all characters are visible.

I often have Chinese characters in my definition, because I store the measure words there. My flashcard for computer is therefore 电脑 - Computer 台, and the 台 is invisible in this case. I only have custom flashcards and did not test it with dictionary related flashcards. The problem reminds me of a similar one I reported on Feb 17: there too only the Chinese characters where missing.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
llammamama - that's odd, I don't think anyone's mentioned this before - should be easy enough to fix, though.

HW60 - I'm not seeing this one here - are you sure this is separate from the Edit Card problem, i.e. the characters are always gone and aren't just missing because you added them during the session and the definition didn't update?

HW60

状元
It must have something to do with the Profile - there are Profiles which do not show the bug.

To check again I
- took the default profile in "Manage" (profiles),
- "Reset to Defaults",
- "New Flashcard Session", Test Type "Review Only", Show "Head + Pron + Defn".
- "Start Session", and all Chinese characters in the definition fields of the session are invisible.

If I change the profile I usually use for the alternating free-answer mode (Free-answer, Test on reading and writing; Read: show headword, ask for pron; write: show definition, ask for headword) to Review Only within the New Flashcard Session, I still get the standard Free-answer box for "Test on:" instead of the selection "Show:" (which seems to be a minor bug too, as I do not want to test but review). But in this mode and profile all Chinese characters are visible.

Maybe my version of Pleco has some greater bug: I just created a completely new profile, and in New Flashcard Session I find only 2 Test types (Review only, self-scored) and can only select 3 Show elements (headword, definition, headword+definition). When I select Review only and headword+definition, the complete definition is gone and I can only see the headword!

ipsi

状元
Don't believe anyone's mentioned this, and I don't recall seeing it in the list of changes:

When having audio auto-play when a flashcard pops up, the Audio will play with the last-used speaker. E.g. If, on the previous card, I had listened to the Audio three times, going Male/Female/Male, then this second card would play Male, as would each and every card after it, assuming I did not manually play the audio at any point.

However, if after some number of cards (> 1) I then play it once, I would get the female voice, and it would now default to using the female voice instead of the male voice (but will still alternate if I play it manually. This only applies to the single auto-play when a card is first shown with Audio selected). This is true both before and after the reveal. I don't believe it worked this way in 2.0.0 - instead of default to the last speaker, it would default to the alternate of the last speaker (Thus going Male/Female/Male on a card would have resulted in the next card playing with the Female audio first, rather than the Male).

I'm not sure if this was a deliberate change or not, but it seems a little odd to me, and might be better solved by having yet another option for defaulting to Male/Female when moving to a new card.

Also, a not-really-a-bug bug: When doing a CPU intensive-task (e.g. decoding an AAC+ stream that I'm pulling off the internet), I need to draw continuous strokes very slowly, otherwise Pleco seems to lose parts of them. Not sure if you can do anything about this, but there we go.

sthubbar

榜眼
Mike, great work as usual. I especially appreciate fixing the bug of jumping to the beginning of the search.

I have another interesting point / performance observation.

Try doing a hanzi search for "还不是"

1) This practically locks up the Treo 650. I can understand that these are all common characters and it is automatically trying to do a full text search. An odd thing is that almost immediately the top left corner changes to highlighted to indicate that it is doing a full text search, and the dictionary changes to "21" to indicate that it has found something in the 21st century dictionary. Ok, I timed it, I see the upper left corner and the dictionary change after 2 seconds. The entry doesn't update until after 30 seconds.

2) The other odd thing is that if I switch from simplified to traditional, the dictionary again locks up as if it is doing a complete dictionary search again. I don't know how this is programmed, but shouldn't switching from simplified to traditional just update the current screen and not have to do some extensive dictionary search?

Keep up the good work.

sthubbar

榜眼
I saw that you removed several screen updates in this fix. I think maybe a few too many screen updates were removed.

I have noticed in two different screen that the "Wait" clock in the upper left corner is not going away after the wait is over.

I was in the "Manager Flachcards" "Batch" screen and removing some categories from cards and I saw the waiting clock in the upper left and then just never went away. I ignored it at this time because I didn't realize what was going on.

What convinced me this was a screen update problem was that I then went into the "Manage Categories" screen and selected an per level category and deleted it. I saw the waiting clock, then saw a pop up saying that it was done and I selected "OK" and then the clock was still in the upper right.

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
HW60 - I'm not seeing this one here - are you sure this is separate from the Edit Card problem, i.e. the characters are always gone and aren't just missing because you added them during the session and the definition didn't update?

I did some more testing, and this is really strange: I have one profile "Review Only" which always shows this bug. This profile is able to infect other profiles during the current session. That means: once I use the bad profile, other Review only profiles which I created before and which were without bug show the same bug when used after the bad profile whithin one Pleco session! When I quit Pleco and start again, only the bad "Review Only" profile remains bad, all other "temporarily infected" profiles are OK again. The use of the bad profile also has an influence on the creation of new profiles, which I posted yesterday.

As long as I am not able to reproduce this bug with other profiles I just will not use the bad one any longer.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 - that "greater bug" you mention was happening because the profile was set to English-Chinese instead of Chinese-English; in that mode there's no Pinyin field and only cards based on English-to-Chinese entries are available. Do you remember changing that setting or did it somehow flip on its own? Really not sure what could be going wrong with those disappearing characters, though.

Re your later post, the "infection" makes me think that this might be some larger, systemwide issue - have you tried going back into the main dictionary after exiting that profile and checking if Chinese characters still display in dictionary entries?

ipsi - I don't think that was a deliberate change, but since we made a couple of tweaks to WM audio playback in 2.0.1 I'm not too surprised - another preferences setting would probably be best, though since the female audio files still aren't technically supported at all it may have to go on the backburner until we release a better / cleaned-up version of them.

With the handwriting stroke capture skipping, we could probably fix this by putting stroke capture off in a separate higher-priority thread, but that might cause your audio playback to skip, so I'm not sure if it'd actually be an improvement...

sthubbar - the problem there actually isn't the search, it's the loading of the first result "as" - that's an extremely extremely long entry and it takes a long time to decode / reload on Palm. This is also why it's slowing down when you change character sets, reloading / re-wrapping the whole entry in traditional characters takes a while.

The "wait" cursor had problems with staying on screen in 2.0.0 too, actually - we spent a lot of time trying to fix them but they proved pretty much intractable so since it didn't actually cause any functionality problems we left it as-is. If it's not actually spinning you can assume that whatever it was waiting on has stopped and the cursor just didn't go away.

HW60

状元
I do not remember changing the setting to English-to-Chinese - I actually never use this mode. Maybe I hit some button sometime ...

After using my "bad" profile the main dictionaries are still OK and show Chinese characters within the definition field. Not all profiles can be infected, actually - my standard Free-Answer profile still shows Chinese characters when set to "Review only".

As I said I will not use the bad profile in the near future, so if I cannot reproduce the bug by other means I have no idea what I can do to show what can happen with my profile. So probably we should leave the problem for the time being, if you have no other suggestion.

On the HTC Diamond (dopod S900, WM 6.1, Chinese), in the Document Reader, text copied from a Word doc and sourced into the Reader from the clipboard, the bookmarks won't take ... I can create (name) them, but tapping and holding the Bookmark icon brings up an empty Manager screen ... On the Jump-to screen, the Bookmark field also is blank ...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 - could be a bug screwing up the profile settings, I guess, though I thought we'd fixed all of those a while ago. With all of the fiddling around we did with flashcard settings controls in 2.0.1 it's possible we could have missed something... could you send me a copy of the flashcard file by any chance? Perhaps that'll shed some light on this. (apologies if I already asked for / got that, just remind me and I'll dig it out of the e-mail archive)

tianjinpete - that's normal, there's no way to bookmark text in the clipboard since those clipboard texts can't be saved / retrieved later in Pleco.

sthubbar

榜眼
I'm not sure if this is a design design or not. I'm noticing inconsistent behavior when entering the "Manage Flashcards" screen.

If I have a category selected the software automatically performs a search for all cards that match that category and there is some delay depending on the size of the flashcard database.

If I have "pron" selected, no automatic search is performed and the system is immediately responsive.

I would prefer turning off the automatic search.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That is a design decision, actually, though a debatable one I suppose - something we can consider changing when we introduce the category-search-specific "organize flashards" screen (similar to Manage Cards in 1.0) we're planning for 2.1.

mikelove said:
tianjinpete - that's normal, there's no way to bookmark text in the clipboard since those clipboard texts can't be saved / retrieved later in Pleco.

Mike, fair enough ... I was wondering, for texts read in from the clipboard, since I know the % depth read (I can "jump to" any point in the text), is there a way to create quick-and-dirty "virtual" bookmarks pegged to that % depth ? Typically I read in temporary-use texts and want to jump back and forth within a text to make comparisons ... To keep track, I write down the % read, but that's kind of cumbersome, and doesn't pinpoint the exact text I'm looking for ...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That certainly should be possible, yes - all bookmarks are "virtual" until you close the document anyway, we just don't bother loading the bookmarking system in clipboard texts or Send to Reader.

sthubbar

榜眼
Feature request:

Remember the Advanced flashcard search settings.

It appears that with Pleco 2.0.1 that when entering the "Advanced" tab of the "Manage Flashcard" screen, the most recent simple search over writes any previous advanced searches. For me, it makes much more sense to remember the advanced settings. It is more likely for me that I might have an advanced search criterion that can't be easily done with the simple searches. I usually want to just tweak that advanced search a little. I would prefer to not have to remember and redo the advanced search each time.

ipsi

状元
When using the full-screen option for the main Pleco display, if I hit the power button on top of my Treo Pro to turn the display off, then turn it on again, Pleco will no longer be in full-screen mode, but not all areas of the code have been informed of this, and so I need to hit the button twice (not once) to make it full screen again. I assume the first time it's just telling something to turn off full-screen, which does nothing as that's already been done.

sthubbar

榜眼
Where are the dictionary preferences, like search order, stored? My request is that they are stored on regular internal memory on the Palm.

What happened was that I had to reinstall the Pleco files on the expansion card. Nothing was changed on the handheld. So far, it looks like all of my preferences, including flashcards and userdict entries are safe. I just oddly noted that the dictionary search order was lost.

BTW, two of my highly technical friends, who are also Treo 650 users, and owners of Pleco 2.0 mentioned to me that they both had lost their flashcards and were baffled because they perform daily syncs of their Palm. I explained to them about the hidden internal memory storage of flashcards and how to move it to regular memory. I would be surprised if there aren't many customers losing flashcards and user dict entries with this default usage of hidden internal storage.