2.0.1 (final) Bug Report Thread

jiacheng

榜眼
I just tested the theory, and it seems to hold.

I created a category called Test, with two subcategories, T1 and T2. I added a single card to both the T1 and T2 subcategories. When you go to calculate the statistics on Test, it shows there being 2 cards under that category In this case, the card I chose has a high score, yet it shows the 1 phantom card as being in the 0-100 range.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Reproduced and fixed - thanks for being persistent, turns out that the flag telling SQLite to only count distinct cards was not getting set correctly and it was in fact double-counting cards that belonged to multiple subcategories.

peter04

hi Mike - using Pleco 2.0.1 with dobod S600 (HTC with slide-out keyboard). However, when I try to type text into the main input field of the dictionnary using the hardware slide-out keyboard, I only get numbers (i.e. digits, instead of text). In the old Pleco 1 it was possible to just switch the keyboard entry method to letters (from numerical), but it seems this is no longer available in Pleco 2 (btw I have the same problem with Opera 9.5).

thanks for helping -
Peter

peter04

mike - thanks for fast reply. I've seen that entry by hejincong. Unfortunately I'm not a power-user and don't want to go mess around with the registry. Was just hoping there would be an easier solution... seems we people with hardware keyboards are about to die out?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There are plenty of people with hardware-keyboard-equipped PDAs, actually, and HTC's got some new ones in the pipeline for '09, so I don't think they're dying out anytime soon. They just present a particular problem for Pleco since in order to get Chinese character support working reliably on non-Chinese phones we had to replace Windows Mobile's painfully buggy text / font-handling system with our own, and hence keyboard drivers / input systems that are designed around standard Windows text fields aren't going to be able to interact with our software without some additional hacking.

Registry-hacking on Windows Mobile is pretty safe, though - there's a free registry editor program available here and as long as you don't start randomly deleting things it's unlikely you'd manage to screw up your phone much. In all our years of developing Windows Mobile software we've never managed to screw up the registry enough to require a hard reset.

sthubbar

榜眼
Seem to have found a Pinyin processing bug.

In the TL dictionary entry for 教训 jiao4 xun4, highlight the bie2ren2 pinyin text in the example sentence "Ni3 ke3yi3 bu4 tong2yi2 bie2ren2 de..."

Now paste this text somewhere, like the search line and it should show up as "bier2en2" instead of "bie2ren2".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This seems to have been covered by a couple of our other Pinyin bug fixes, so if you install the just-released 2.0.2b1 that should hopefully take care of it.

sthubbar

榜眼
Great, thanks.

Here is a cosmetic bug for 2.0.2b2. :)

On the review flashcards screen, can the "New Flashcard Session" button be changed to "Review Flashcards". It's just that if I'm restarting a previous session it's not a "New" session so the button is inaccurate and possibly misleading. Saying "Review Flashcards" would cover both new and previous flashcard sessions which is what the button actually offers.

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'd rather not change that in a .0.x release, it's been named "New Flashcard Session" since 1.0 so unexpectedly changing it in a minor release might confuse people. We can think about it in 2.1, though.

sthubbar

榜眼
OK, I understand. I think in 1.0 there was no option to resume previous flashcard sessions so all sessions were new and that button made sense. Since version 2.0 has been introduced the ability to resume previous sessions was introduced and so the button has been misleading since the introduction of 2.0.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Good point about new resume option, perhaps we could relabel that button when there's a session waiting (though I suspect anyone who manages to find the "allow edits during sessions" checkbox will be a pretty advanced user anyway).

And you're right, bie2ren2 still doesn't copy correctly when you copy-and-paste it outside of Pleco to another application - should be easy to fix for b2, though. (in 2.0.0/2.0.1 it also didn't copy correctly with Copy to Input or copying-and-pasting within Pleco, but now it does work correctly in those at least)

Consistent Crash

Pleco 2.0.1 on HP iPAQ211. Other programs: only CEStar Suite 2.8 R3.
Consistently, but I never know when it will happen, Pleco does not reopen when I try to use it again. I click on the icon and nothing happens, it appears that the icon accepted my click, but nothing happens. I go into check which programs are running and Pleco is there, so I select it and click Activate...still nothing. Then from the same screen I tell it to Stop Pleco. It does this, but then I still cannot restart Pleco, all other programs continue to work, just not Pleco. When all else fails, I perform a soft reset, then my handheld remains STUCK in the soft reset screen and will not continue... all I can do is a hard reset and start over. This has happened many times. I didn't have this problem on any of the betas. I will try the new beta 2.0.2. Anyone else experience this?

John Owens
HP iPAQ211
WM6
CE Star Suite 2.8 R3

Pleco 2.0.1 on HP iPAQ211. Other programs: only CEStar Suite 2.8 R3.
Consistently, but I never know when it will happen, Pleco does not reopen when I try to use it again. I click on the icon and nothing happens, it appears that the icon accepted my click, but nothing happens. I go into check which programs are running and Pleco is there, so I select it and click Activate...still nothing. Then from the same screen I tell it to Stop Pleco. It does this, but then I still cannot restart Pleco, all other programs continue to work, just not Pleco. When all else fails, I perform a soft reset, then my handheld remains STUCK in the soft reset screen and will not continue... all I can do is a hard reset and start over. This has happened many times. I didn't have this problem on any of the betas. I will try the new beta 2.0.2. Anyone else experience this?

John Owens
HP iPAQ211
WM6
CE Star Suite 2.8 R3

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Haven't had any other reports of this recently AFAIK - what do you mean by the handheld getting "stuck" on the soft reset screen? If you soft reset again after that happens, does that fix it? That kind of problem I'd actually be more inclined to attribute to CE Star than Pleco, our code doesn't even run until you actually tap on the Pleco application icon while CE Star reloads itself during startup and hence would be more likely to cause problems during a soft reset. But it's strange that this would happen only after updating to 2.0.1 - did you make any other changes to your system configuration at around the same time?

mikelove said:
Haven't had any other reports of this recently AFAIK - what do you mean by the handheld getting "stuck" on the soft reset screen? If you soft reset again after that happens, does that fix it? That kind of problem I'd actually be more inclined to attribute to CE Star than Pleco, our code doesn't even run until you actually tap on the Pleco application icon while CE Star reloads itself during startup and hence would be more likely to cause problems during a soft reset. But it's strange that this would happen only after updating to 2.0.1 - did you make any other changes to your system configuration at around the same time?

-By "stuck on the soft reset screen" I meant that when Pleco (only Pleco) wouldn't open, I would press the iPAQ211 soft reset button, then the HP screen would appear showing the ROM version of my iPAQ 211 but it would stay there and never go on to the MS Windows Mobile screen. All i could do then was to press the soft reset again...but the same thing would happen "stuck on the HP reset opening screen". So I would be forced to do a hard reset to return to the factory defaults.

Since the ONLY reason I own a PDA is to be able to use Pleco...I am a devoted customer ;), I do not have any other software installed on my handheld. This problem would appear whether or not I installed CE Star Suite or in what order I installed CE Star. I tried to upgrade to the 2.0.2 beta version, but it was worse, both time I tried this the install went well, but when I tried to open Pleco, all I would get was the word "Pleco" at the top of the screen and the rest of the screen would be blank, white.

The only other difference I can think of between my beta installs and this final release version it that previously I always did a manual install. Since the final release I have started using the Automated Install.

Good news is I have now got Pleco to work... at least for the last 10 minutes... by NOT checking the "Instance Access" install option. I had a thought that maybe this was causing a conflict... still not sure if this was the problem, but it is working for the moment.

On this install I only installed "pc201.exe" and did not select the "Instant Access" or "Flashcard Converter" options.
Then I re-ran the automated installer "pc201.exe" and installed the unlock key.
After checking that the program was working properly, I then installed the Extended Audio (male voice) "pc200-xaudio.exe".
Then I checked that everything was working properly and finally I manually copied the 2.0.2 beta1 file "Pleco.exe".

So far so good. It would be nice to have the "Instant Access" but I can live without it if this is the only way to get Pleco to work on my system.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Best regards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well that's very puzzling - the "Instant Access" option in the installer doesn't change anything about your system configuration, it just puts an extra little application called "PlecoLaunch" in your program launcher screen. You can actually still use IA even without that installed, just highlight a word in another application and launch Pleco (from the Start menu or a button) and it should look up the highlighted word by default. But PlecoLaunch wouldn't do anything unless you opened it...

This sounds random enough that I'd almost be inclined to attribute it to a hardware problem - since Pleco's presumably occupying most of the storage memory on your iPAQ, if there was a faulty chip / bad block of storage somewhere Pleco could be running into it each time you reinstall. Of course that also means passing on the blame for this to HP, which is kind of a cop-out - so you really didn't change anything about your configuration when you reinstalled other than not installing the Instant Access Launcher utility?

Thanks Mike.
I'm not sure how Instant Access is loaded, I thought it was always running in the background, waiting for my prompt for usage.
The ONLY difference that I made to the installation was not selecting the one checkbox "Instant Access".

I also first assumed that it was a hardware problem, possibly my SD card which is 8GB. This is the same card I used during the beta period, which didn't have a problem.

New update: After Pleco was running great for 1 1/2 days I decided to install CE Star Suite... Instant problem. During the CE Star installation I went ahead and included the handwriting recognition option "Penpower". If I want Chinese in my other text documents and don't want to hassel with Pinyin input then this is needed. I'd don't suppose there is a way to use the Pleco handwriting recognition module in other word documents... is there?

After installation, when I tried to open Pleco, I got a message that Pleco.exe was an untrusted or unrecognized program (or something to that effect). I thought that this was strange, as I had been using Pleco 2.0.2b1 for 36 hours and had no problem with this message. On the message screen, I agreed to trust Pleco.exe, then the messages kept repeately popping up, something like "Windows Mobile has experienced a serious problem with Pleco.exe, do you want to send Microsoft a report of the error? The only way I could get rid of the message was to soft reset the handheld. This happened many times, then I remembered that the message about Pleco.exe being an untrusted program, so I manually copied the Pleco.exe file from the 2.0.2b1 folder on my PC to the handheld directory...now it is working again. 很奇怪!!!

I hope it keeps running, but if not I may try installing to a different SD card or possibly to my handheld's internal memory.
Any thought? Is there a different handwriting recognition program that works better with Pleco than CE Star. I've seen mention of a ZA4? on this site, but when I check out their site it is too difficult to find which version I should use on my handheld.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
So that untrusted message came up after you installed CE-Star, but you didn't change your Pleco application at all? Did the message also come up the first time you ran 2.0.2b1?

That untrusted error is supposed to appear when an application isn't code-signed (we sign all of the release versions of Pleco, but we don't sign the beta-test ones), but once you've approved it Windows Mobile keeps a record of it and won't bring up that error message again unless the application changes. So the fact that the error was coming up again means that either the Pleco application file was changed - if it didn't come up the first time you ran 2.0.2b1 I'd say it's because you'd accidentally installed 2.0.1 again, if it did come up I'd say it's because the application file was corrupted somehow - or that something else happened to screw up Windows' database of approved applications.

There's no way to use Pleco handwriting recognition inside of any other software, unfortunately, and while ZTA4 is lovely it doesn't do handwriting input but only Pinyin.