[Unofficial] Feature Request / Suggestion List

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
the Expert mode in the upcoming version 4?

Yes.

will this behavior show regular definition screen (thus hiding what you have been reading) or the part-screen popup window (in the top, like the current clipboard popup does, not distracting from your current reading)?

The former - a full-screen definition, but in a popup with a "Done" button rather than replacing your existing search screen work.

Cameroon

探花
Great news! Is it possible to post a screenshot? Or maybe somewhere there's a screenshot teaser gallery for version 4?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's not really any different from the regular definition screen, just presented modally.

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 12 Pro - 2022-02-07 at 10.20.45.png

Shun

状元
Love the fonts, both the Latin and the Chinese ones! Also, compliments on the general design overhaul; it looks even more beautiful and clearer than a well-designed printed dictionary.

Cameroon

探花
Thank you! A real good-looking UI. Great job!

And as I notice, there's a button beside the 'Done' title which resembles some 'make it smaller' one. If it is, then it would be great thing for the popup usage scenario. If not... well, will have to get used to living without it. not big an issue actually

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's for compacting definitions, actually (hiding examples / tightening word wrap), not for shrinking the whole window.

Dictionary request: Swedish - Mandarin
Would be amazing if Pleeco could offer a Swedish - Mandarin / Mandarin - Swedish dictionary. The selection on the market for electronical dictionaries between Swedish and Mandarin is really poor. I only know of one, which only goes Swedish --> Mandarin, and you have to pay them monthly... (Biggest drawback to be honest). Would also be great to be able to have all my Chinese dictionaries gathered in one place (Pleco). I know most Swedish people are quite proficient in English, but when you get to a higher level, or want to look up vocabulary quickly (I study interpretation), it becomes quite neccessary to have a dictionary for Swedish-Chinese.

The name of the dictionary I've found is Svensk-Kinesiska ordboken, by Stephen Chen.

Fernando

榜眼
This probably has been said already, but I think Mike Pleco is leaving a lot of $ on the table by not offering Chinese-Japanese dictionaries or even Japanese-Japanese and Japanese-English ones.

Unless, of course, there's something ridiculously difficult about licensing Japanese dictionaries, which, honestly, wouldn't surprise me.

Shun

状元
As you say, I can confirm first-hand that Japanese publishers are a rather close-knit community, they usually won't just let any foreigner come in and license one of their books. If one of them has accepted you, then they all will. This has to do with Japanese culture. But I agree such a dictionary would make a nice addition to Pleco.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We do have options for dictionaries translating between other languages like Japanese and English, because the international rights for those frequently go through US/UK publishers who can then turn around and license them to us.

For Japanese-Chinese however we'd need either a Japanese publisher or a Chinese publisher, the former are an uphill battle but we have at least some hope with the latter. But it should be possible to put out a pretty good functional Japanese user dictionary in 4.0, so if people start using Pleco with open-source Japanese dictionaries that certainly might help us make our case to publishers.

Fernando

榜眼
But it should be possible to put out a pretty good functional Japanese user dictionary in 4.0, so if people start using Pleco with open-source Japanese dictionaries that certainly might help us make our case to publishers.

Besides user-created dictionaries I think there're also those like the ones offered at jisho.org, sort of the Japanese equivalent of CEDICT. Is that what you mean? It would also be nice to see Pleco features like OCR and handwriting recognition working for kana/kanji.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Besides user-created dictionaries I think there're also those like the ones offered at jisho.org, sort of the Japanese equivalent of CEDICT. Is that what you mean?

Yes - users could import those dictionaries into Pleco.

It would also be nice to see Pleco features like OCR and handwriting recognition working for kana/kanji.

That's more of an uphill battle; even ignoring the potential cost (and there are some free possibilities) we'd have to build in a bunch of extra code libraries, which - since both Google and Apple require that all machine code be built into the app / not downloaded separately - makes our app more bloated for everyone.

Fernando

榜眼
we'd have to build in a bunch of extra code libraries
Isn't OCR a separate download? It's on my list as a 2.5MB add-on. Or I guess this is just to enable extra code that's already there?

Yes - users could import those dictionaries into Pleco.
I only dabble in Japanese, nothing serious, but it'd be very nice to have jisho offline and in one place. Still, without handwriting recognition I think that'd be a non-starter. It's very useful for beginners and even free options have that.

Another useful feature that'd make a huge difference is Japanese tonal information. Of the Japanese dictionaries I've used only Midori offers that and it's a relatively recent addition.