PlecoDict 1.0 Bug Report Thread

zig2101

秀才
mike,
i think my problems might be related to chaiusa's.
however, i have 13.9 megabytes free and i thought that would be more than enough to handle all the custom dictionaries.

i also get the same error message when importing flashcards, even the the flashcard files weren't that big to begin with either.

thanks!

chaiusa

举人
Mike,

I try to check what dict causes my problem.

It seem like the problem happened after loading and using UNIHAN.

A

Anonymous

Unable to install ABC dictionary

Thanks to Mike for his answer and email. I was able to install the PlecoDict and everything but the ABC Dictionary and get it to work. I tried copying the PlecoDict to the card (it was the only thing big enough to clear enough space) and the ABC Dictionary to RAM. That worked, but I could not copy the ABC Dictionary to the card afterwards -- it just would not show up in the "copy" menu. So I had to give that up. Tried several times to install it to the card again, but it just won't.

Sigh. How much do I have to pay to buy it on the card?

zig2101

秀才
i freed up more space and now have over 25 megabytes of memory free on my palm. i get the same error chaiusa got when importing the hsk flashcard list.

koreth

榜眼
I've lost the handwriting recognizer! I did a hard reset and restored from backup today, and now when I run PlecoDict I get an error message about not being able to find the handwriting recognition data files. I reran the 1.0 upgrade installer again hoping it'd install the files, but no luck. Guess I'll try downloading the full 1.0 release and see if it'll let me install those files.

koreth

榜眼
Nope, no luck -- I downloaded the Windows installer but I don't see anything in the list of installable files that looks like it's related to handwriting recognition. Tried installing the main application program again, but that didn't help.

Next I suppose I'll try uninstalling the whole app and reinstalling it. After backing up my flashcards, of course...

koreth

榜眼
Reinstalling PlecoDict from scratch fixed the problem. Whew. FYI, I see that the "PlecoDict HWR Database" file is not marked with the "backup" flag, which certainly explains why I lost it.

David

举人
JMA

If you haven't tried it already try this: delete pleco dict from ram (try to get as much free space as possible), install ABC file directly to sd card, THEN install the rest of Plecodict to RAM.

Hotsyncing is kind of unpredictable for large files like that, but this method seemed to be more successful for me.

koreth

榜眼
It seems like 1.0 is a lot less stable than beta 3. I have had several system resets while using it today. Unfortunately I can't give you any details beyond that; the error log (##377 on my Sprint Treo) just says "A reset was caused on 5/17/05 at 10:48 pm while running 'PlecoDict': Fatal Exception".

In this case I was in the middle of entering some pinyin text into the text entry field. But I don't think I was doing that last time it crashed.

I sure wish PalmOS had protected virtual memory -- it's annoying to have to wait for the whole device to reset when one program crashes! But that's not Pleco's fault...

koreth

榜眼
Nitpicky trivial bug: on the Rank Testing Settings dialog (from the Card Settings dialog) the fields for frequency and spacing should be numeric. Right now you can enter letters into them.

goulniky

榜眼
I managed to freeze my UX50 by (mis)typing zh@ng instead of zhang in the ABC input field (with @ as the single character wildcard). This is repeatable.

Attachments

• Pleco Flashcard Database.pqb
    1.4 MB · Views: 353
A

Anonymous

David said:
JMA

If you haven't tried it already try this: delete pleco dict from ram (try to get as much free space as possible), install ABC file directly to sd card, THEN install the rest of Plecodict to RAM.

I'll try! Right now I have everything but ABC working fine. Tried using the recommended program to install the ABC to SD card without using Hotsync. That worked, but then PlecoDict stopped working.
When I deleted ABC from SD card, the Palm still showed the same amount of memory used on the SD card, nothing was freed up! At this point I'm afraid even to insert the SD card in the Palm. It's the kiss of death. Last night the thing even stopped hotsyncing for three hours. I was ready to resurrect my Palm Vx and make do with Oxford.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous said:
David said:
JMA

I'll try! Right now I have everything but ABC working fine. Tried using the recommended program to install the ABC to SD card without using Hotsync. That worked, but then PlecoDict stopped working.
When I deleted ABC from SD card, the Palm still showed the same amount of memory used on the SD card, nothing was freed up! At this point I'm afraid even to insert the SD card in the Palm. It's the kiss of death. Last night the thing even stopped hotsyncing for three hours. I was ready to resurrect my Palm Vx and make do with Oxford.

Conclusion: the ABC Dictionary cannot be installed on my system. I tried what David recommended; once again installation of ABC stopped at 128 K. Meanwhile, my SD card is ruined: twice I tried to use Softick's CardInstall program to install ABC directly on card. Both times it left files of 17M on the card which cannot be accessed and cannot be deleted.

I would be interested to know if anyone has succeeded in installing the whole system on a Tungsten E, and how they did it.

What recourse do I have? Back to the Palm Vx and the old Oxford Concise? Pay extra to have the whole thing on an SD card (not yet available as far as I know)? Yet I bought this Tungsten E and the SD card entirely for the sake of this dictionary -- having been an enthusiastic user since Pleco brought out its first version.

Meanwhile, I cannot even seem to get authenticated to join this forum, but that's another issue....

goulniky

榜眼
Can't you use FileZ, FileProg or some other freeware file manager to delete those 17Mb files ?

With FileZ you would first set the filter to Size > 16 and navigate the SD card. With FileProg you can do a Search on parts of the filename over the whole card (Tool/Search File). After you've located the file (which may have a temp. name) you may need to change the file attributes before you delete it.

Ross

Handwriting Input - Magnification not working

I cannot get character magnification to work in the handwriting input screen. I hold my stylus on the character and drag it off (as per the instructions) but nothing happens.

Character magnification works fine in the definitions screen (although it's a little slow reading the large font from the SD Card).

I'm using a Treo 600 with Palm OS v.5.2.1.

Does this work for anybody else? Any suggestions for what I could try to make this work?

cheers
Ross

A

Anonymous

goulniky said:
Can't you use FileZ, FileProg or some other freeware file manager to delete those 17Mb files ?

With FileZ you would first set the filter to Size > 16 and navigate the SD card. With FileProg you can do a Search on parts of the filename over the whole card (Tool/Search File). After you've located the file (which may have a temp. name) you may need to change the file attributes before you delete it.

Thank you!! That worked, anyway. Now I have an empty card. If I could only get the ABC dictionary on it, my life would be complete.

Since I can't: is there any way to get the CEdict and Unichan to work with Plecodict? I really need more characters than Oxford supplies.

goulniky

榜眼
Could it be that your CardInstall program copied ABC to the wrong place on the card? Pleco should advise what folder to move it under, and how to get PlecoDict to recognize it.
I also had problems when I installed those beta2 files, there was no way I could free 17Mb on my UX50 and I couldn't get HotSynch to install to card, I think what I did is use Pilot Install instead but it wouldn't work over USB so I used the infrared link and it took forever :(

A

Anonymous

goulniky said:
Could it be that your CardInstall program copied ABC to the wrong place on the card? Pleco should advise what folder to move it under, and how to get PlecoDict to recognize it.
I also had problems when I installed those beta2 files, there was no way I could free 17Mb on my UX50 and I couldn't get HotSynch to install to card, I think what I did is use Pilot Install instead but it wouldn't work over USB so I used the infrared link and it took forever :(

Well, I tried PilotInstall (I'll try anything). There didn't seem to be any way to get it to install to the card instead of to RAM. I tried again and again and it always loaded about halfway and then said "device full." At least it didn't leave any garbage or mess anything up!

Since my T|T is notoriously low on memory, I copied the dictionaries directly to the SD card. I can only highly recommend this procedure, as I found out that it is much more reliable. Get a USB-based card reader (my ASUS laptop came with a passive SD card PCMCI reader). Copying then is much easier and you can immediately copy the files to a directory you like. For instance, I store all PlecoDict-related files in a separate directory.

beirne

进士
Conclusion: the ABC Dictionary cannot be installed on my system. I tried what David recommended; once again installation of ABC stopped at 128 K. Meanwhile, my SD card is ruined: twice I tried to use Softick's CardInstall program to install ABC directly on card. Both times it left files of 17M on the card which cannot be accessed and cannot be deleted.

What do you mean by CardInstall? Did you try Softick Card Export II? If so did you unmount the virtual drive on the Mac before disconnecting the Palm? Also, did you install the SDIO patch from Palm that the recommend for the Tungsten E?

Attachments

• alogcat.2011-12-17-08-13-56-0800.txt
    28.2 KB · Views: 494