PlecoDict 1.0 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is part prudence and part superstition - perhaps by inviting the bugs in I can somehow reduce their number :D

Anyway, feel free to post any bugs you may encounter with PlecoDict 1.0 in this thread. If any significant ones crop up we'll fix them in a 1.0.1 release within a week or two.

Attachments

• alogcat.2011-09-12-11-41-02-0600.txt
    16.3 KB · Views: 523

chaiusa

举人
somthing wrong

Mike,

i got 2 things wrong.

1. i can't see the content of LDC English-Chinese Wordlist though i put in in proper place (other dictionaries are fine)

2. I got error and reset every time i load Practical Chinese Reader (any file) flashcard.

i got these errors though i redo again and again.

james

koreth

榜眼
Not exactly a bug, but someone else had mentioned this back in the beta and you replied that it'd be easy to fix for 1.0:

The popup list of flashcard categories (when clicking on the "add card" button in the toolbar) is only 4 lines high, which means you have to scroll back and forth through the list if you have more than 4 categories. It should either resize based on the number of categories or be taller by default.

zig2101

秀才
i often get these "index out of range" errors in the 1.0 release:

DataMgr.c, Line:9529,
Index out of range

this happens sometimes while looking up characters using handwriting recognition or when i imported the flashcards from website.
i've got a tungsten C and i've been using plecodict since beta 1 without these kinds of errors before.

thanks

chaiusa

举人
hand writing recognizer causes problem

mike,

one more problem.
with handwriting, radical, penpower input, when i write more than 2 characters with no meaning, I always got error and reset.

please fix this, i think it is critical bug, i don't think i see this in beta3.

i think plecodict 1.0 is likely to be buggy than beta3.

james

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
chaiusa - the LDC wordlist is actually an English-to-Chinese file, so you'll need to switch to that mode to use it. The flashcard crash and search crash both sound like they're memory-related; how much free storage memory is there on your Palm?

zig2101, same goes - we didn't make any changes at all to the PlecoDict database system between Beta 3 and 1.0, so it's very likely that this is related to some change in your system's configuration, most likely a reduction in the available memory.

The extra 1.2 MB of storage space occupied by the new handwriting recognizer database might be part of the problem - deleting the old handwriting recognizer files (PlecoDict HWR SC/TC ...) will free up several hundred K. And every custom dictionary you add increases the memory requirement (even on the SD card, it's more data that PlecoDict needs to cache and keep track of), so you could try deleting a few of those and see if that makes any difference.

koreth - we did fix the categories elsewhere, but we didn't fix them in the main screen because those lists are also used for a lot of other things - resizing the list based on the selected button is doable, but trickier than resizing it within the flashcard system.

Attachments

• Pleco_Flashcard_Database[1].pqb
    677 KB · Views: 364

chaiusa

举人
mike,

my palm still has 7-8 mb memory. now i can't use it so i go back to beta3 with no problem. this is so obvious i have some problems with 1.0.

*tell u a bit in detail, when i got error in pleco 1.0, a message shows somethin like cache can't be created (it is not exact, i can't read it in time coz i use crash program to reset my palm)

thanks for quick reply

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Does it say "can't find cache entry to evict" or something along those lines? That's definitely an out-of-memory error, but it really shouldn't be showing up on a device with that much free memory... are you still using the TH55 or have you switched to another Palm model?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Apologies if this seems like a stupid question, but how much memory is it exactly? Go to the "Info" screen and check the first number after "Free Space". Also, are you using MSMount or another such database loading system extension?

chaiusa

举人
free space:7.8M of 32M

i don't use MS Mount.

but i use (i will tell u i feel it can cause this problem)

-zlauncher

-lancher (this is new program in the market, it allows th55 to work in landscape mode. personally i think it probably causes problem, but why it doesn't with beta3)

chaiusa

举人
Mike,

now i reload pleco 1.0.

earlier i did trial and error to try to find the cause.

i think this one is quite obvious.

i did load all dictionaries into memory stick, after i played around with every dicts, the problem happened.

after that, i took all dicts out (except abc and oxford), no error happened.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... if you repeat the same procedure with Beta 3 (load all dictionaries to Memory Stick and play around with each of them in turn), does the problem occur then? If we can narrow this down definitively to something in the Beta 3 to 1.0 switch then it should be easy to fix.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well in that case it must be some sort of long-standing bug in the file caching system... this may take a little while to fix, unfortunately, but in the meantime we'll put up a warning message on the (already difficult-to-find) add-on download page advising customers to limit themselves to 1 installed add-on dictionary at a time unless their Palm has an enormous amount of free RAM.

Thanks very much for your help in diagnosing this.

A

Anonymous

Complete failure

I have been trying all afternoon to install. I removed my old Oxford Dictionary and downloaded the complete PlecoDict files.

ABC will not install (on my SD card) -- HotSync constantly interrupted.

Worse, when I try to open PlecoDict it always crashes my Tungsten E with the message "Fatal error -- Line:270 Error loading header record -- probably a corrupted file.

I've taken it off and tried hotsyncing it and reinstalling it, always get same error.

I don't think I have any applications that are interfering -- I do have CJKOS and that's the only non-Palm application.

Any suggestions?

beirne

进士
ABC will not install (on my SD card) -- HotSync constantly interrupted.

You may need to copy the file directly to the card by mounting it on your PC. Real big files just don't go to the card well via a hotsync. Softick's Card Export is good for that if you don't want to get a card reader.

Attachments

• Pleco Flashcard Database.pqb
    780 KB · Views: 398

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
(also responded by e-mail, but for the record:)

Another way to do this is to clear out 18MB or so worth of free space in your Palm's internal memory, install the ABC database to that, and then copy it from there to your SD card. The freeware utility Filez (http://www.nosleep.net) makes transfers like this very easy.

This actually won't work on the newest models like the Tungsten E2/T5 and Treo 650, because they can (generally) only accept files of 10MB or smaller into internal memory. But the T5's Drive Mode works with any operating system, and the E2/650 should be able to handle a 17 MB sync to card without too much difficulty.

Or you could just buy one of our soon-to-be-available SD Card copies of PlecoDict and circumvent the whole mess that way.