Pleco for Android Beta 2 Bug Report Thread

JRyn

I'm not sure that have anyone mentioned this problem .

When I open HWR in Vertical mode then turn the phone to landscape mode, Pleco suddenly doesn't work at all, can't see any line in HWR or even can't go out of HWR mode. I have to quite Pleco and Open again to solve this problem. However, it's not a big deal anyway.

In OCR, apart of OCR doesn't work in landscape mode , it sometimes detects wrong language , English instead Chinese. So it would be nice if language can be manually chosen in OCR.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
eemeli said:
When activating the camera OCR, the image is rotated 90 degrees clockwise. If I go to settings and then tap back, the image then looks normal. Character recognition does not work in either case. When focusing on a character, the screen shows the OCR going through a list of character without settling down on one. Sometimes it tries to fit a letter from the roman alphabet. Rotating the phone or the paper does not help. Still image recognition works perfectly with photos taken with the camera.

We've had a few other reports of this, though we haven't yet managed to reproduce this on a phone here - since the Ideos X5 is relatively inexpensive perhaps we should just go out and buy one to test on. Thanks.

blackrook said:
The program works well on my Samsung Galaxy SL i9003, but there are some problems with switching dictionaries while typing in English in Search mode.

Steps to reproduce: type a word in English, then start switching dictionaries. After you switch to the last dictionary in the list and tap the button again it switches to a dictionary from the list of Chinese-English dictionaries.

This is actually by design, it's a feature we specifically added (by popular request) on iOS - since our software comes with two free Chinese-English dictionaries but no free English-Chinese ones, people often started out looking up English words with full-text searches in Chinese-English dictionary, and a lot of our users found that they actually preferred that in some cases (saves the extra step of cross-referencing words in E-C definitions to try to get a better handle on their proper usage), so the idea now is that without having to change languages you can scroll through every entry in any dictionary that matches a particular English word.

However, if you don't like this behavior you can turn it off via Settings / Dictionary / Search Settings / Full-text / Integrate into English - to avoid confusion for users who start out with only C-E dictionaries, buy an E-C one and can't figure out how to go back to full-text searching of their C-E dictionaries, we need to leave this option on by default, but we certainly realize it's not desirable for everyone.

JRyn said:
When I open HWR in Vertical mode then turn the phone to landscape mode, Pleco suddenly doesn't work at all, can't see any line in HWR or even can't go out of HWR mode. I have to quite Pleco and Open again to solve this problem. However, it's not a big deal anyway.

That one's been widely reported, yes.

JRyn said:
In OCR, apart of OCR doesn't work in landscape mode , it sometimes detects wrong language , English instead Chinese. So it would be nice if language can be manually chosen in OCR.

There's no language detection involved in OCR, it always assumes everything is Chinese... try this: put some text in front of the camera, then rotate the text around (so the camera / device stay in the same orientation, but the text is now sideways or upside-down); do the correct characters come up in any of them? Perhaps the image your phone's camera is sending to our OCR engine is upside-down or rotated.

blackrook

mikelove said:
However, if you don't like this behavior you can turn it off via Settings / Dictionary / Search Settings / Full-text / Integrate into English - to avoid confusion for users who start out with only C-E dictionaries, buy an E-C one and can't figure out how to go back to full-text searching of their C-E dictionaries, we need to leave this option on by default, but we certainly realize it's not desirable for everyone.
Yeah, I've just found it. What's more,
mikelove said:
saves the extra step of cross-referencing words in E-C definitions to try to get a better handle on their proper usage
it makes sense to me now. Thanks for answering all those questions :)

Anyone successfully installed Beta 2 on a Asus TF101? I installed on a Xoom with no problem but have not been able to get the Transformer to read the dictionary files. Error popup: "No Dictionaries Found" I have tried installing them both on the SD card and in the on-board memory. I have removed and re-installed a couple of times and am reasonably sure that I am doing everything correctly. I have tried it with the keyboard both connected and disconnected.

Sarevok

进士
I have successfully installed and ran Beta 2 on my TF101. On two different units actually, since I decided to return the first one (there were some issues with the docking station and minor lightbleed) and got a replacement on Friday. Pleco was one of the first apps I have installed (on my first Transformer, Android Market did all my previous apps installations for me once I activated the second one) and I have never encountered such problems. I have placed the PlecoData folder in the internal storage (which is for some reason also labelled as "sdcard") and I have no physical SD card inserted (neither in the tablet itself, nor in the docking station). Not yet anyways, I am planning to buy a 32 GB microSDHC card for the tablet soon...

Sarevok, thanks for the quick feedback.

I copied the PlecoData directory to main system memory again and then rebooted, but Pleco still did not find the database files. Since you do not have a SD card, I tried removing the SD card and then rebooting. This time Pleco found the database files. I was able to re-insert the SD card afterward and it continues to work with out a problem. Thanks again!

cirrus888

秀才
The registration keeps re-setting every 24 hours or so on my LG - P990 (optimus 2x). I don't reboot or anything like that re starting the phone although I do update and install other software everyday.

This is quite an annoying issue.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
cirrus888 said:
The registration keeps re-setting every 24 hours or so on my LG - P990 (optimus 2x). I don't reboot or anything like that re starting the phone although I do update and install other software everyday.

Hmm... do you find that any of your other Pleco settings are being reset at the same time that your registration disappears? If the device's unique ID were changing then you'd be getting error messages about re-registering too soon, so it seems like the problem must have something to do with the storage of your registration data.

cirrus888

秀才
mikelove said:
cirrus888 said:

Hmm... do you find that any of your other Pleco settings are being reset at the same time that your registration disappears? If the device's unique ID were changing then you'd be getting error messages about re-registering too soon, so it seems like the problem must have something to do with the storage of your registration data.

Yeah everything gets reset, I just checked and its done it again. The welcome message pops up and tells me the version I'm using will expire in October. The flashcards I saved however are still there.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
cirrus888 said:
Yeah everything gets reset, I just checked and its done it again. The welcome message pops up and tells me the version I'm using will expire in October. The flashcards I saved however are still there.

Well that clarifies it a little at least. Is the main Pleco app installed on an external SD card? Can you try moving it to internal memory and see if that helps matters any? Have you noticed similar behavior in any other apps (settings / bookmarks disappearing)?

Flashcards are stored using a different system so they wouldn't be affected, but if your phone isn't able to store and retrieve basic application preferences then there may be an issue here that goes beyond Pleco.

cirrus888

秀才
mikelove said:
cirrus888 said:

Well that clarifies it a little at least. Is the main Pleco app installed on an external SD card? Can you try moving it to internal memory and see if that helps matters any? Have you noticed similar behavior in any other apps (settings / bookmarks disappearing)?

Flashcards are stored using a different system so they wouldn't be affected, but if your phone isn't able to store and retrieve basic application preferences then there may be an issue here that goes beyond Pleco.

I thought installing the main pleco app on the internal memory card was automatic so I checked that before you mentioned it above. It was installed on the external SD card so I moved it to the internal one but alas it still resets itself so it didn't solve that problem. I will try uninstalling and re-installing again.

This doesn't happen in any of the many other apps I use. I do appreciate your continued support.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
cirrus888 said:
I thought installing the main pleco app on the internal memory card was automatic so I checked that before you mentioned it above. It was installed on the external SD card so I moved it to the internal one but alas it still resets itself so it didn't solve that problem. I will try uninstalling and re-installing again.

This doesn't happen in any of the many other apps I use. I do appreciate your continued support.

Do you have any other apps that were installed outside of Android Market?

There could be some sort of an issue in your custom MoDaCo firmware that relates to saving preferences for non-Market apps - there's a lot of complicated stuff going on behind-the-scenes with file access permissions and it's possible they might not have tested thoroughly on whether non-Android-Market apps could create their preferences with the correct permissions.

Uninstalling and reinstalling might help, but my other recommendation would be that you upgrade to a newer version of your firmware (if they have one) - that might fix the bug. The fact that we haven't had any other reports of this yet (in spite of having a bunch of other customers with P990s) makes me think it's firmware- rather than hardware-related.

batmantis

I just updated my att motorola atrix to 2.3 and I'm finally able to install the pleco app due to att enabling the installation of third party programs. I downloaded and installed the 146 mb file on the android page, however when I run pleco it doesn't detect any dictionaries. I'm not sure whether this is a software bug or a user error on my part, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

cirrus888

秀才
mikelove said:
cirrus888 said:

Do you have any other apps that were installed outside of Android Market?

There could be some sort of an issue in your custom MoDaCo firmware that relates to saving preferences for non-Market apps - there's a lot of complicated stuff going on behind-the-scenes with file access permissions and it's possible they might not have tested thoroughly on whether non-Android-Market apps could create their preferences with the correct permissions.

Uninstalling and reinstalling might help, but my other recommendation would be that you upgrade to a newer version of your firmware (if they have one) - that might fix the bug. The fact that we haven't had any other reports of this yet (in spite of having a bunch of other customers with P990s) makes me think it's firmware- rather than hardware-related.

OK I uninstalled and re-installed it about 5 days ago and you know what ? so far so good ... it hasn't rebooted to the your software will expire in October screen yet.

Thank you for your continued support.

I didn't change firmware I only did a re-install of pleco.

Also to answer your other question about other apps outside of the Android Market is yes I have and I didn't come across any re-setting software just Pleco.

batmantis said:
I just updated my att motorola atrix to 2.3 and I'm finally able to install the pleco app due to att enabling the installation of third party programs. I downloaded and installed the 146 mb file on the android page, however when I run pleco it doesn't detect any dictionaries. I'm not sure whether this is a software bug or a user error on my part, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hello,

i successfully installed the full bundle on my Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Two days ago i got my Galaxy S2 and tried to make install according to the instructions. I have the same error message like badmantis. "No Dictionaries found". No dictionaries were found on your system, please double check ......

I installed the 146 MB on the external SD Card as said in the instructions. USB Mode off. The main app has been installed as said in the instructions - when started i get the error.

Regards
Haoge

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
batmantis said:

Are you sure you installed it per those instructions? You don't want to copy that file to your SD card, you want to extract its contents to a folder (it's a .zip archive) and copy the "PlecoData" folder inside of it to the root directory of your SD card.

Masterploxis said:
i successfully installed the full bundle on my Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Two days ago i got my Galaxy S2 and tried to make install according to the instructions. I have the same error message like badmantis. "No Dictionaries found". No dictionaries were found on your system, please double check ......

I installed the 146 MB on the external SD Card as said in the instructions. USB Mode off. The main app has been installed as said in the instructions - when started i get the error.

So you reinstalled it on the SD card of your Galaxy S2? In the same location, i.e. there's a "PlecoData" folder in the root directory of your SD card and inside of that folder are a bunch of .pdb files? Does it help matters any if you reboot your phone?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
cirrus888 said:
OK I uninstalled and re-installed it about 5 days ago and you know what ? so far so good ... it hasn't rebooted to the your software will expire in October screen yet.

Thank you for your continued support.

I didn't change firmware I only did a re-install of pleco.

Also to answer your other question about other apps outside of the Android Market is yes I have and I didn't come across any re-setting software just Pleco.

Great! If the problem happens again then let us know, otherwise we'll assume it was just a glitch in the initial installation.

mikelove said:
batmantis said:

Are you sure you installed it per those instructions? You don't want to copy that file to your SD card, you want to extract its contents to a folder (it's a .zip archive) and copy the "PlecoData" folder inside of it to the root directory of your SD card.

Masterploxis said:
i successfully installed the full bundle on my Galaxy Tabo i got my Galaxy S2 and tried to make install according to the instructions. I have the same error message like badmantis. "No Dictionaries found". No dictionaries were found on your system, please double check ......

So you reinstalled it on the SD card of your Galaxy S2? In the same location, i.e. there's a "PlecoData" folder in the root directory of your SD card and inside of that folder are a bunch of .pdb files? Does it help matters any if you reboot your phone?

Hello,
Thanks Tor your fast response. I had to copy the plecodict folder (the unzipped one) to the sd card of my device. NOT TO THE EXTERNAL SDCARD.

Keep up your good work and thanks for this nice piece of software.

Cheers
Andy

batmantis

Masterploxis said:
Hello,
Thanks Tor your fast response. I had to copy the plecodict folder (the unzipped one) to the sd card of my device. NOT TO THE EXTERNAL SDCARD.

Keep up your good work and thanks for this nice piece of software.

Cheers
Andy

This worked for me as well. Thanks.

jamesquek

举人
At the 字info section, after you chose certain fields and then flick it off, you can't choose them again. I had the Cangjie field on for quite a while but after flicking off inadvertently, I couldn't find it anymore. In fact, a lot more fields were cast in the some black hole.