Pleco for Android Beta 2 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post bug reports on the latest beta here. When you're reporting a crash, please attach a crash log if possible; the CatLog and aLogcat utilities (free in Android Market) should make this easy. Thanks!
 

ipsi

状元
Popup definition box won't scroll anymore - this worked in B1, so something you did for B2 seems to have broken it... While I'm here, I think it would be good if hitting the back button with the popup definition window showing closed the popup, rather than going back a whole screen (e.g. Open a document, tap on a word. Hitting back should close the popup, not exit the document reader).
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, fixed version is up - thanks for reporting that. (won't be fixing all of them this quickly but I think this was one of those "screw it, I'll go back to Beta 1" bugs)
 

ipsi

状元
Sweet, that's working now.

Next (possible) bug: Open up the definition of a word; Change the character set; Click on a character; The popup definition box doesn't register the changed character set. e.g. If you've changed to Traditional, the popup box still displays in simplified, and vice-versa. It also doesn't retain the setting when going back to the search results list. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not.
 

milhouse

Member
I just did something like the following (Nexus S, Beta 2):

- Draw a character (子) in HWR
- Pick a character at the bottom and press "Done", which shows all the definitions for that character
- Press the search button, which takes me back to the HWR canvas
- Now the strokes that I draw in HWR are invisible! HWR still works, but I can't see what I'm drawing.

I changed the new HWR stroke width option from Medium to Thin, and now I can see my strokes again.

Not reproducible (sorry!) but just thought I'd mention it.

Oh, and thanks for fixing the crash reported in Beta 1 when clicking on a character in the definition!
 

Daan

秀才
Beta 2 is working just fine on my HTC Wildfire small-screen phone, thanks! I've just found two problems. The first is that voice recognition won't work. I get an error message saying that voice recognition requires an internet connection, even though I'm connected to a wireless network with perfect reception. It doesn't seem to matter whether this is 3G or WiFi. And I'm also getting the invisible-strokes problem that milhouse describes above. It mainly seems to occur when I draw a character, then pick one at the bottom, and then go back to the home screen of the phone. When I then re-enter Pleco, and draw something in the HWR box, the strokes are invisible, but I can still have it recognise what I'm drawing. I can fix this by hitting the back button on my phone and then restarting Pleco.
 

markmark1

Member
Dell Streak running 2.2.2

OCR does not recognize characters while in landscape orientation. I downgraded to Beta 1 and it also had the same problem.
 

Daan

秀才
On my HTC Wildfire: if you search by radical, you get a list of radicals, separated by numbers indicating the amount of strokes. If you tap any of these numbers, they'll be entered as a search term.

In the 字Info box, you can't swipe fields left to remove them. You can swipe them left, but they'll just pop back to where they used to be as soon as you take your finger off the screen. Oh, hang on, it worked just now...it seems I was doing it too slowly. Why not simply show a pop-up menu if you tap one of these fields?

In the Words box, you have "Starting" and "Containing", but the "g" drops off because of the screen size. Also, why is there an option "both"? It seems words starting with any given character are already included in the list shown when I press "containing". What exactly is the difference? :)
 
Droid2Global, Stock ROM, Rooted.

This only affects WidgetLocker (a lockscreen replacement) when using Pleco.

If the keyboard is open, when I lock my phone and unlock it, the keyboard is still on my WidgetLocker screen. Again, this only happens with Pleco and no other program.
 

sfrrr

状元
markmark1 said:
Dell Streak running 2.2.2

OCR does not recognize characters while in landscape orientation. I downgraded to Beta 1 and it also had the same problem.
OCR works for me on my streak with distribution froyo. Takes a few seconds to remember what it's supposed to do, then works fine. Still have the 30 second boot up, during which I see only an unresponsive black screen, but since I now expect it, I don't find it troubling.
 

sfrrr

状元
I Suddenly have a memory leak. I'm not yet certain it's from PD--I installed a few other new programs that day--and am disabling running programs and uninstalling new widgets and SD apps one at a time to try to find the source (tedious!). And, yes, I do use app 2 sd.

BTW, when pd is closed, it isn't listed in running apps, should you need to know this.
 
sfrrr said:
markmark1 said:
Dell Streak running 2.2.2

OCR does not recognize characters while in landscape orientation. I downgraded to Beta 1 and it also had the same problem.
OCR works for me on my streak with distribution froyo. Takes a few seconds to remember what it's supposed to do, then works fine. Still have the 30 second boot up, during which I see only an unresponsive black screen, but since I now expect it, I don't find it troubling.
Strange, on mine, pleco opens almost immediately, although sometimes when i press the icon, it goes to the black screen, then crashes back to the home screen, but after that, i hit it again and it opens immediately. The ocr also takes only a few seconds to open.

Mine is stock froyo too. It is rooted, but that shouldn't make any difference.
 

LaoYou

Member
LaoYou said:
Using: HTC Desire Z
Android version: 2.2.1

In dictionary if I search for something, mybe Dog, I get a list of words including dog.
I then tap one, mybe Gou, and it opens a explination of the word Gou.
I then tap the chinese character and I get at pop-up where I can switch between different dictionarys.
If I then tap the chinese character in this pop-up the program com.pleco makes a "unexpected stop" and crashes.
If I do this in 2.3b2a there is no crash but nothing happens. Should it be that way?

/LaoYou
 

sfrrr

状元
horseclass said:
sfrrr said:
markmark1 said:
Dell Streak running 2.2.2

OCR does not recognize characters while in landscape orientation. I downgraded to Beta 1 and it also had the same problem.
OCR works for me on my streak with distribution froyo. Takes a few seconds to remember what it's supposed to do, then works fine. Still have the 30 second boot up, during which I see only an unresponsive black screen, but since I now expect it, I don't find it troubling.
Strange, on mine, pleco opens almost immediately, although sometimes when i press the icon, it goes to the black screen, then crashes back to the home screen, but after that, i hit it again and it opens immediately. The ocr also takes only a few seconds to open.

Mine is stock froyo too. It is rooted, but that shouldn't make any difference.
I should have said mine is rooted and unlocked. And, as for the boot-up, I've tried, while the screen is still black, to hit where I imagine there would be buttons, but makes no difference. If I wait, as I said, PD boots up. So far, hasn't crashed back to home screen.
 

haiku575

Member
Running the Beta on an HTC Incredible S. (Android 2.3.3 HTC Sense 2.1)

After installing the Beta yesterday, I'm noticing the back of the phone feels warm to the touch even when the screen's been off for more than an hour.
Battery use (usually very good on Incredible S) is way up - dropped from full to 60% in about three hours this morning. Only app used was Pleco and for no more than 15 minutes in total - phone is still feeling warm.
It feels like there's a Pleco process running in the background that's not being shut down properly - Pleco is not showing up as a running process, however.

Also, checking the battery use, Pleco is not showing up at all although it was the only app used today.

Everything else is working great though and I've just bought the OCR and stroke order modules.

Pure speculation: there may be something particular to the Incredible S camera module - I noticed the popular Camera360 app absolutely killing my Incredible S's battery, whilst it's perfectly fine on my wife's HTC Aria.
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ipsi said:
Next (possible) bug: Open up the definition of a word; Change the character set; Click on a character; The popup definition box doesn't register the changed character set. e.g. If you've changed to Traditional, the popup box still displays in simplified, and vice-versa. It also doesn't retain the setting when going back to the search results list. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not.
The latter part of that is intentional - works that way on iOS too - though it creates enough confusion among users that we should probably change it. The former I'm not sure about though it would probably be best if we're consistent on the same screen...

milhouse said:
I changed the new HWR stroke width option from Medium to Thin, and now I can see my strokes again.

Not reproducible (sorry!) but just thought I'd mention it.
Can't seem to reproduce it here either... very odd. Anyway let me know if it happens again and we can certainly investigate further.

Daan said:
Beta 2 is working just fine on my HTC Wildfire small-screen phone, thanks! I've just found two problems. The first is that voice recognition won't work. I get an error message saying that voice recognition requires an internet connection, even though I'm connected to a wireless network with perfect reception. It doesn't seem to matter whether this is 3G or WiFi.
That might be because your phone is running firmware that doesn't include voice recognition support - we should probably have a different error message for those cases.

Daan said:
And I'm also getting the invisible-strokes problem that milhouse describes above. It mainly seems to occur when I draw a character, then pick one at the bottom, and then go back to the home screen of the phone. When I then re-enter Pleco, and draw something in the HWR box, the strokes are invisible, but I can still have it recognise what I'm drawing. I can fix this by hitting the back button on my phone and then restarting Pleco.
Does this happen consistently (every time you do this)? Seems like we really do need to get a Wildfire in here...

markmark1 said:
OCR does not recognize characters while in landscape orientation. I downgraded to Beta 1 and it also had the same problem.
Might be a wonky camera driver that's flipping the image / not reporting the orientation correctly - if you turn the text you're looking at upside down, does it read it correctly then? If not, what about a single character turned sideways?

Daan said:
On my HTC Wildfire: if you search by radical, you get a list of radicals, separated by numbers indicating the amount of strokes. If you tap any of these numbers, they'll be entered as a search term.
Ah, definitely want to fix that - thanks.

Daan said:
In the 字Info box, you can't swipe fields left to remove them. You can swipe them left, but they'll just pop back to where they used to be as soon as you take your finger off the screen. Oh, hang on, it worked just now...it seems I was doing it too slowly. Why not simply show a pop-up menu if you tap one of these fields?
Quite right, a popup would be better since we don't actually need to do anything else when you tap on them. (even if we do we could make it a tap-hold option)

Daan said:
In the Words box, you have "Starting" and "Containing", but the "g" drops off because of the screen size. Also, why is there an option "both"? It seems words starting with any given character are already included in the list shown when I press "containing". What exactly is the difference?
Containing should only give you words where it's the second character or later - is it not doing that now?

sixstringedmatt said:
If the keyboard is open, when I lock my phone and unlock it, the keyboard is still on my WidgetLocker screen. Again, this only happens with Pleco and no other program.
We kind of man-handle the keyboard into opening / closing when we tell it to and it sounds like it's staying open when it shouldn't in this case - we'll try testing with that program and see if we can sort this out, though it may be tricky if we can't get Android to tell us when the lock screen is about to appear.

sfrrr said:
Still have the 30 second boot up, during which I see only an unresponsive black screen, but since I now expect it, I don't find it troubling.
You normally have a zillion files on your SD card, right? The bootup is probably a consequence of that - we made our startup file search very wide-ranging since we don't have an automated installer yet and don't know where people's files will land.

sfrrr said:
I Suddenly have a memory leak. I'm not yet certain it's from PD--I installed a few other new programs that day--and am disabling running programs and uninstalling new widgets and SD apps one at a time to try to find the source (tedious!). And, yes, I do use app 2 sd.

BTW, when pd is closed, it isn't listed in running apps, should you need to know this.
Certainly could be Pleco, there's a lot of funky memory management going on. Are you sure Pleco is actually running when it's not listed in running apps?

LaoYou said:
If I do this in 2.3b2a there is no crash but nothing happens. Should it be that way?
Yes, works the same on iOS though we probably should get momentum scrolling working at some point.

haiku575 said:
Running the Beta on an HTC Incredible S. (Android 2.3.3 HTC Sense 2.1)

After installing the Beta yesterday, I'm noticing the back of the phone feels warm to the touch even when the screen's been off for more than an hour.
Battery use (usually very good on Incredible S) is way up - dropped from full to 60% in about three hours this morning. Only app used was Pleco and for no more than 15 minutes in total - phone is still feeling warm.
It feels like there's a Pleco process running in the background that's not being shut down properly - Pleco is not showing up as a running process, however.
Not quite sure what that would be, but we'll do some debugging and see if we can nail it down - do you remember what interface you were in Pleco (and how long you'd been actively using it) when you turned the screen off?
 

Daan

秀才
Does this happen consistently (every time you do this)? Seems like we really do need to get a Wildfire in here...
No, it seems impossible to reproduce this. For example, when I just opened Pleco for the first time today, the strokes were invisible. Then I closed it again and reopened Pleco; HWR was working just fine. Then I selected a character, got the demo-version pop-up, closed Pleco, and reopened Pleco. HWR was still working just fine, and it seems whatever I do, I can't break it myself. It does only seem to be a problem when starting Pleco after not using it for a while - perhaps there's some caching issues going on?

Sometimes even restarting Pleco won't help, though, and you need to change the stroke width before your strokes will become visible again, as milhouse described.

Containing should only give you words where it's the second character or later - is it not doing that now?
Oh, that's exactly what it's doing - sorry, wasn't thinking straight!
 

Daan

秀才
That might be because your phone is running firmware that doesn't include voice recognition support - we should probably have a different error message for those cases.
I was just talking about this with my flatmate, who works as an Android developer too. He said I probably needed to download and install Google Voice Search from the Android Market in order for voice recognition to work in Pleco, if this was not packaged with the phone by default (it wasn't). I just installed Voice Search, and voice recognition is working smoothly now on my Wildfire, both in Pleco and in other apps. So if you're going to implement some kind of error message other than "you need an internet connection", maybe you could just suggest installing that app?
 

enoreus

Member
I have also had the problem with power consumption when the phone is off as reported by haiku575. It happens consistently when I leave Pleco in OCR/camera mode. I have tried this with both beta1 and beta2.

I'm running Android 2.2.1 on an HTC Desire HD.
 
Top