Pleco for Android Beta 2 Bug Report Thread

I am able to access Guifan, but on most searches I just get the notice that that dictionary is not available in demo mode and that I can switch off demo dictionary searches. So I guess Guifan has not been implented completely, yet?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
I am able to access Guifan, but on most searches I just get the notice that that dictionary is not available in demo mode and that I can switch off demo dictionary searches. So I guess Guifan has not been implented completely, yet?

It's implemented fine, but perhaps there's something wrong with your registration transfer - if you PM me with your Registration ID I can investigate this further for you.

Another thing I noticed after playing around with full text search is that if you type a Chinese word, add the full text symbol # and then remove it again, Pleco does not go back to showing Chinese characters but stays with the English words.
Plus, while showing the containing English entries in full text search mode there still is the 中-symbol in the upper left corner instead of 英. After tapping on it I get the 英-symbol but with no results whatsoever, a second tap brings back the 中-symbol and all Chinese words containing my words. I cannot bring back the English words.

Will there be a button for switching between full text and normal search? Or do I have to enter the #-symbol manually? Thanks a lot, Michael.

mikelove said:
blackrook said:
The program works well on my Samsung Galaxy SL i9003, but there are some problems with switching dictionaries while typing in English in Search mode.

Steps to reproduce: type a word in English, then start switching dictionaries. After you switch to the last dictionary in the list and tap the button again it switches to a dictionary from the list of Chinese-English dictionaries.

This is actually by design, it's a feature we specifically added (by popular request) on iOS - since our software comes with two free Chinese-English dictionaries but no free English-Chinese ones, people often started out looking up English words with full-text searches in Chinese-English dictionary, and a lot of our users found that they actually preferred that in some cases (saves the extra step of cross-referencing words in E-C definitions to try to get a better handle on their proper usage), so the idea now is that without having to change languages you can scroll through every entry in any dictionary that matches a particular English word.

However, if you don't like this behavior you can turn it off via Settings / Dictionary / Search Settings / Full-text / Integrate into English - to avoid confusion for users who start out with only C-E dictionaries, buy an E-C one and can't figure out how to go back to full-text searching of their C-E dictionaries, we need to leave this option on by default, but we certainly realize it's not desirable for everyone.

I was also pretty confused by this in the beginning, but I'm beginning to like it. For a better understanding, couldn't you also change the symbols from 中 to 英 / 英 to 中 so people now what dictionaries they are browsing right now?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
I was also pretty confused by this in the beginning, but I'm beginning to like it. For a better understanding, couldn't you also change the symbols from 中 to 英 / 英 to 中 so people now what dictionaries they are browsing right now?

That's actually meant to indicate the search language rather than the group of dictionaries - bit confusing since when the search field is clear it means dictionaries, but we need that indicator to tell you whether the software is interpreting "ran" as an English word or a Pinyin syllable.