Pleco for Android Beta 2 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Pelleas said:
Was a little confused by the "Search" screen with opens by default and the two-pane view.
Apparently they are the same screen effectively. Now I bypass the screen in the settings and it does feel less strange.

Now I have worked it through, I think the popup problem is the only one.
I know now what's going on, so it's now fine by me.
Just realize that the final audience may be less willing to put up with quirks like this.

Thanks! Very true on the back button, but I'm not sure if the change between landscape and portrait will be a problem or not... I suppose we could default to the combined mode in both screens (or neither), but we've used this approach on iOS for the last year-and-a-half and we haven't really had any complaints about it so far...

benzhen

进士
i get a force close after selecting an image in the OCR. both on my fascinate and atrix 4g, both rooted on custom roms. didn't happen on beta 1 (only tried on fascinate), but when i downgraded on my atrix 4g and tried to load an image i also got a crash.

*edit* must be the image file it self as other files open. size is 4megs. too large?

bwtmca

Hi Mike,

First of all, i've been keeping track of this at uni since the first announcement and am very happy to see how far along it has come. Very excited about where it's going also.

I was using Flashcards this morning and found that when I first added a category and assigned words to it, all was fine. However, when I added a second category, the original one disappeared along with the words belonging to it. In addition, the new category I set up didn't appear either. When I add categories now nothing appears.

Device: HTC Desire running Android 2.2

If this relates to the fact its still early days in development, no problem, wanted to ensure it was visibile if not.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
benzhen said:
i get a force close after selecting an image in the OCR. both on my fascinate and atrix 4g, both rooted on custom roms. didn't happen on beta 1 (only tried on fascinate), but when i downgraded on my atrix 4g and tried to load an image i also got a crash.

*edit* must be the image file it self as other files open. size is 4megs. too large?

Sounds like it, yes - by 4 megs do you mean that it's 4 megapixels or 4 megabytes? (a 4 MB JPEG would strain the resources of any Android phone, but even 4 megapixels is a pretty enormous chunk of system memory)

bwtmca said:
First of all, i've been keeping track of this at uni since the first announcement and am very happy to see how far along it has come. Very excited about where it's going also.

Thanks!

bwtmca said:
I was using Flashcards this morning and found that when I first added a category and assigned words to it, all was fine. However, when I added a second category, the original one disappeared along with the words belonging to it. In addition, the new category I set up didn't appear either. When I add categories now nothing appears.

Device: HTC Desire running Android 2.2

That sounds like it might have been an issue in writing the updated flashcard data to your SD card - is this the stock Desire 2.2 firmware or a custom ROM? How recently did you purchase your SD card, and how big is it?

bwtmca

It's 2.29.405.5

Stock

The SD card is a few months old, 16gb with 5gb free. The phone also has plenty of internal storage. It's strange that now the functionality of creating categories is now just gone. Although I can try to create a category, nothing new appears beyond Flashcards and Unrecognised.

enoreus

If I turn my phone to landscape and back again when in handwriting mode the software gets into a confused state where my handwriting is invisible. The characters are still recognized, but when I press 'Done' nothing comes up. Exiting Pleco and going back in restores everything to normal.
I'm running Android 2.3.3 on an HTC Desire HD.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
bwtmca said:
The SD card is a few months old, 16gb with 5gb free. The phone also has plenty of internal storage. It's strange that now the functionality of creating categories is now just gone. Although I can try to create a category, nothing new appears beyond Flashcards and Unrecognised.

Hmm... does it help matters any if you completely power off / power back on your phone? Perhaps the file is locked down by something.

enoreus said:
If I turn my phone to landscape and back again when in handwriting mode the software gets into a confused state where my handwriting is invisible. The characters are still recognized, but when I press 'Done' nothing comes up. Exiting Pleco and going back in restores everything to normal.

I'm seeing that here too... very odd. Thanks for the bug report!

iain71

I have a Samsung Galaxy S II and generally Pleco is running well. I’m very happy with how it’s looking and I'm really looking forward to using flashcards as well.

One problem for me was that live OCR using the Galaxy S II wasn’t working at all really, but after playing around with it for a while I finally figured out that pressing the menu key then selecting settings, followed by pressing the back key to return to live OCR, results in the live OCR working perfectly.

Thanks for bringing Pleco to Android!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
iain71 said:
One problem for me was that live OCR using the Galaxy S II wasn’t working at all really, but after playing around with it for a while I finally figured out that pressing the menu key then selecting settings, followed by pressing the back key to return to live OCR, results in the live OCR working perfectly.

Interesting... how do you mean that it "wasn't working at all," was it still showing results (but just the wrong ones) or was the screen remaining blank? Could be related to another bug we've been following...

2sls

Hi Mike,
I'm running a Motorola Droid X with Gingerbread(2.3.3) on a stock rom. I am barely able to hear the audio pronunciations even with maximized volume- anyone else encounter this issue or this may be phone specific?

Edit: Actually more specifically, the actual volume does not respond at all to the volume keys.

iain71

By "wasn't working at all" I mean specifically that it seems unable to lock onto a particular character. It continuously scrolls through lists of characters but is unable to select anything to fit, not even a character that''s wrong. Sometimes (like right now) it appears to work OK without going through the sequence of selecting the settings and pressing the back key but usually what happens is the above.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
2sls said:
I'm running a Motorola Droid X with Gingerbread(2.3.3) on a stock rom. I am barely able to hear the audio pronunciations even with maximized volume- anyone else encounter this issue or this may be phone specific?

Other people have complained about the volume, but not that it's this low... are you sure that all of your various volume sliders are maximized? (and not just the ringer volume)

iain71 said:
By "wasn't working at all" I mean specifically that it seems unable to lock onto a particular character. It continuously scrolls through lists of characters but is unable to select anything to fit, not even a character that''s wrong. Sometimes (like right now) it appears to work OK without going through the sequence of selecting the settings and pressing the back key but usually what happens is the above.

Hmm... well we haven't been able to duplicate this here yet, but we'll keep working on it; thanks!

matai

Mike

I have the demo version running on a nexus S. Everything is running smoothly except I can't find the button to switch the preference between simplified and traditional characters. The iphone manual says it should be next to the button to switch dictionaries but I can't find it.

Thanks

马太

Felth

秀才
I'm having the disappearing character writing on my galaxy tab 7. Disappears when changing fromlandscape. They return when I exit and re enter.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
matai said:
I have the demo version running on a nexus S. Everything is running smoothly except I can't find the button to switch the preference between simplified and traditional characters. The iphone manual says it should be next to the button to switch dictionaries but I can't find it.

It's in the menu bar, "Character Set."

Felth said:
I'm having the disappearing character writing on my galaxy tab 7. Disappears when changing fromlandscape. They return when I exit and re enter.

Yeah, seems to be pretty much ubiquitous - thanks!

marchey

milhouse said:
I just did something like the following (Nexus S, Beta 2):

- Draw a character (子) in HWR
- Pick a character at the bottom and press "Done", which shows all the definitions for that character
- Press the search button, which takes me back to the HWR canvas
- Now the strokes that I draw in HWR are invisible! HWR still works, but I can't see what I'm drawing.

I have the same issue when I put my HTC Desire HD down on a table. Then the display switches to landscape mode. After this, I can still draw on the screen, the character suggestions keep appearing indicating that character recognition is working. When I pick a character though the canvas remains the drawing canvas and there is no visible dictionary entry. Backing out of and entering the application again, solves the problem. It is reproducable.

I'll also experiencing the handwriting problem marchey mentioned.

Will a future update of Pleco allow for Chinese text entry in Landscape mode? Google Pinyin is still just working for me in Portrait. I often switch to Pleco while holding my phone sideways. It's a drag to keep changing the orientation while I work.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
murrayjames said:
Will a future update of Pleco allow for Chinese text entry in Landscape mode? Google Pinyin is still just working for me in Portrait. I often switch to Pleco while holding my phone sideways. It's a drag to keep changing the orientation while I work.

Do other keyboards work correctly for you in landscape? We certainly do support landscape text input, but some keyboards don't implement a specific Android programming interface that lets apps override the normal Android behavior of their interface disappearing altogether when entering text in landscape mode, and it seems like Google Pinyin (ironically enough) might be one such keyboard.

eemeli

There's a problem with the OCR on my Huawei Ideos X5 (Huawei U8800 in some countries) running Android 2.2.1.

When activating the camera OCR, the image is rotated 90 degrees clockwise. If I go to settings and then tap back, the image then looks normal. Character recognition does not work in either case. When focusing on a character, the screen shows the OCR going through a list of character without settling down on one. Sometimes it tries to fit a letter from the roman alphabet. Rotating the phone or the paper does not help. Still image recognition works perfectly with photos taken with the camera.

Note that the phone goes automatically into landscape mode when going to record a video instead of taking a photo using the stock camera application. Also, the camera does not seem to focus automatically when recording a video using that software.

blackrook

The program works well on my Samsung Galaxy SL i9003, but there are some problems with switching dictionaries while typing in English in Search mode.

Steps to reproduce: type a word in English, then start switching dictionaries. After you switch to the last dictionary in the list and tap the button again it switches to a dictionary from the list of Chinese-English dictionaries.