Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c Bug Report / Feedback Thread

HW60

状元
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c Bug Report / Feedback Th

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
I thought of the word list of dictionary entries, when during a flashcard session I tap on a single character, tap on the right arrow > and tap on Words. It seems that the sort order of the resulting list depends on the dictionary used: the lists of all dictionaries are sorted, only the user dictionary is not. I will try to sort my input file for the user dictionary next time - maybe that solves the problem.
That probably would, yes, though it should be showing them in sorted order regardless so I'm not sure why it isn't.
I made 2 user dictionaries, one with the import file sorted by headword, one by pinyin. The sort order in flashcards / > / words follows the sort order of the import file (and so does the sort order of the user dictionary btw).

HW60

状元

Is it possible to change the font size of definitions in the main screen? Especially the Guifan definitions are to small for me. I looked at Settings / General, Settings / Dictionary, but the Main screen interface has no font size, and the Definition screen interface / Body font size does not change the definitions of GF.
Is it possible to make a full text search in the existing user manual, e.g. looking for font?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
I had been using the "fixed" setting. my goal was to review a list of characters in a certain order over and over without having to restart the test each time i came to the end. hence my desire for the fixed card order to show them by list order.
What I was attempting to do what built an effective automated way to practice tone drills as described on the Sinosplice blog http://www.sinosplice.com/learn-chinese ... ir-drills/. I have been building custom cards for all of the different pairings described and wanted to drill my self on them with the review only option. I guess i could make a txt file for use in the reader, maybe that's a better option any way...

That does make sense, actually, the "preprogrammed drill sequence" idea - strangely enough it hadn't occurred to me that that would be a good reason for category-ordered testing. Anyway thanks for enlightening me on this.

HW60 said:
I made 2 user dictionaries, one with the import file sorted by headword, one by pinyin. The sort order in flashcards / > / words follows the sort order of the import file (and so does the sort order of the user dictionary btw).

Thanks, that helps clarify what's not working correctly here.

HW60 said:
Is it possible to change the font size of definitions in the main screen? Especially the Guifan definitions are to small for me. I looked at Settings / General, Settings / Dictionary, but the Main screen interface has no font size, and the Definition screen interface / Body font size does not change the definitions of GF.

It's in the various "Entry List" settings for the main screen (since it can be separately customized for English-Chinese versus English-Chinese entries, and for portrait versus landscape orientation / keyboard-open versus closed).

HW60 said:
Is it possible to make a full text search in the existing user manual, e.g. looking for font?

Just do a Google search for:

Code:
font site:pleco.com/anmanual/

(replace "font" with whatever you want to search for)

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
Just do a Google search for:

Code:
font site:pleco.com/anmanual/
(replace "font" with whatever you want to search for)
Thank you - that will reduce my number of questions!

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
In Flashcards Self-graded, only one card to look up, after reveal entire card, then Back and skip card, Pleco goes back to the Flashcard START screen without Session Statistics. Maybe intentionally because of division by zero.
Yeah, I think that one is by design but we'll double-check that it's exiting gracefully and not crashing.

With fill-in-the-blanks, repetition of wrong answered cards, only one card to repeat, this was the screen:

No keyboard to enter pinyin, only half sized characters. I touched the brush, because I remembered that that helped sometimes in Pleco 2.3., and got the following screen:

I randomly chose two characters to finish the session, and this was the screen:
Now Pleco was frozen and could only be finished by a task killer.

Attachments

• 2012-11-10_12-29-14.png
    2012-11-10_12-29-14.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,424
  • 2012-11-10_12-29-46.png
    2012-11-10_12-29-46.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,433
  • 2012-11-10_12-30-48.png
    2012-11-10_12-30-48.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,476

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
It would be good to put that "google search" box right on the manual pages. :)

True, we really need to redesign the manual in general.

HW60 said:
Now Pleco was frozen and could only be finished by a task killer.

This sounds like it might be a hardware bug now - we just ordered an HTC One X (ought to have one anyway since it's one of our most popular devices and we don't have many HTCs at the moment) so hopefully we can sort it out once that arrives.

ckatt

状元

Three things I would love to see in a future release
If I am in the reader or the ocr module and I open the settings menu it would be more convent to be taken directly to the settings for that module rather than the main settings screen.

I think some reorganizing for the flash cards set up would be beneficial. The main thing is I would like to be able to access the organize cards screen after taping the green icon rather than have to go through the main dictionary screen. In fact I think much of that first flash card set up screen could be a sub menu of the second.

I noticed the other day that, on my phones web browser, long taping the back button opens the history screen. would it be possible to have a similar function in pleco? Also, I love that the history is broken down by where you searched from but it would also be nice to have one unified list too.
PS
do you think we will see another beta or the final version as the next release?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
If I am in the reader or the ocr module and I open the settings menu it would be more convent to be taken directly to the settings for that module rather than the main settings screen.

That one we actually used to do, then decided not to because we found it annoying in our testing to get to a different screen depending on where you accessed Settings from (a lot of them are useful in other places, you might want to change your dictionary search order during OCR for example). However, in the next beta the settings screen will remember / return you to your last screen if you were there recently, which should help matters a little at least.

ckatt said:
I think some reorganizing for the flash cards set up would be beneficial. The main thing is I would like to be able to access the organize cards screen after taping the green icon rather than have to go through the main dictionary screen. In fact I think much of that first flash card set up screen could be a sub menu of the second.

Not quite sure how we'd make that easier unless we gave it a dedicated launch icon - is that what you're looking for?

ckatt said:
I noticed the other day that, on my phones web browser, long taping the back button opens the history screen. would it be possible to have a similar function in pleco? Also, I love that the history is broken down by where you searched from but it would also be nice to have one unified list too.

It's a bit non-standard so I'd generally rather avoid making the back button do that - also then have to worry that a manufacturer might take over that gesture (or that Google might, for that matter) and leave us really out of luck. However, there's an option in Settings to add a history button to the toolbar if that helps any.

ckatt said:
Also, I love that the history is broken down by where you searched from but it would also be nice to have one unified list too.

Actually surprisingly tricky, but if we get other requests we can certainly consider it.

ckatt said:

Oh yes, should be out any day now - we're waiting on our HTC One X to arrive so we can fix a few bugs that seem to be specific to that and get those fixes tested by y'all.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
However, in the next beta the settings screen will remember / return you to your last screen if you were there recently, which should help matters a little at least.
will that be specific to the module? i guess i'll have to see how this goes, my situation is made worse by the unpredictable nature of the back button as i described earlier. the other day when i launched the flash cards by the green icon it took me into the settings (must have been there last) and hitting back took me to the home screen. 很奇怪。

Not quite sure how we'd make that easier unless we gave it a dedicated launch icon - is that what you're looking for?
no not a dedicated icon, ist just that some of the options on the first flash card screen i use all the time (ie organize cards and search cards) and others almost never (export cards , back up database ect). often i am testing myself on some cards when i decide there is something i what to change, but i can't hit the back to get to organize cards, i have to hit home then launch the dictionary and then pick flash cards from the option menu. of course if i had started the flash cards this way in the first place then the back button would take me there so it ends up making the flash cards icon less useful, that said i do like the fact that the first screen is skipped with i use the green icon because most of the stuff on that screen i don't use very much and it gets me into the test quicker.

It's a bit non-standard so I'd generally rather avoid making the back button do that - also then have to worry that a manufacturer might take over that gesture (or that Google might, for that matter) and leave us really out of luck. However, there's an option in Settings to add a history button to the toolbar if that helps any.
Truth is i don't use the history that much i just accedently stubled on the feature the other day and have since found it useful in the browser so i thought i could work in pleco too. any possibility of pleco using other gestures? maybe a three finger long tap to turn on night mode?

ckatt said:
Also, I love that the history is broken down by where you searched from but it would also be nice to have one unified list too.

Actually surprisingly tricky, but if we get other requests we can certainly consider it.

I had a feeling you would say that, else wise we would probably already have it.

ckatt said:
Oh yes, should be out any day now - we're waiting on our HTC One X to arrive so we can fix a few bugs that seem to be specific to that and get those fixes tested by y'all.
Good to know. Hopefully it will also fix the problems i have with my One V. 加油!

mfcb

状元

maybe too late for next beta, but what disturbs me most with the new start icons, is that the feature "read clipboard" cant be deselected for them seperately.
in fact i want that only for the reader, but not for flashcard or dict session, as i start the flashcards to do some reviewing (and dont want to look up the phrase from some time before again) or i start the dict to look up english/german -> chinese translation.
if pleco would remember, that the clipboard was evaluated already and is since then unchanged, this might help as well...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
will that be specific to the module? i guess i'll have to see how this goes, my situation is made worse by the unpredictable nature of the back button as i described earlier. the other day when i launched the flash cards by the green icon it took me into the settings (must have been there last) and hitting back took me to the home screen. 很奇怪。

Should all be getting better / more logical in the next beta, yes.

ckatt said:
no not a dedicated icon, ist just that some of the options on the first flash card screen i use all the time (ie organize cards and search cards) and others almost never (export cards , back up database ect). often i am testing myself on some cards when i decide there is something i what to change, but i can't hit the back to get to organize cards, i have to hit home then launch the dictionary and then pick flash cards from the option menu. of course if i had started the flash cards this way in the first place then the back button would take me there so it ends up making the flash cards icon less useful, that said i do like the fact that the first screen is skipped with i use the green icon because most of the stuff on that screen i don't use very much and it gets me into the test quicker.

Would it help if we added an Organize Cards menu option during flashcard tests?

ckatt said:
Truth is i don't use the history that much i just accedently stubled on the feature the other day and have since found it useful in the browser so i thought i could work in pleco too. any possibility of pleco using other gestures? maybe a three finger long tap to turn on night mode?

Very dicey on Android since there's no good way to register something like this app-wide - we'd have to tediously code support for that gesture into two dozen different Activities and test / resolve any integration quirks in each one.

ckatt said:

Any that you haven't reported?

mfcb said:
maybe too late for next beta, but what disturbs me most with the new start icons, is that the feature "read clipboard" cant be deselected for them seperately.
in fact i want that only for the reader, but not for flashcard or dict session, as i start the flashcards to do some reviewing (and dont want to look up the phrase from some time before again) or i start the dict to look up english/german -> chinese translation.

This one has been fixed already for the next beta - now the other icons don't pass through the section of our app that was triggering that before.

mfcb said:
if pleco would remember, that the clipboard was evaluated already and is since then unchanged, this might help as well...

It actually is supposed to do that already - are you sure that the clipboard hadn't changed? Any chance the app might have crashed immediately after you opened it with that clipboard the first time?

mfcb

状元

mikelove said:
mfcb said:

It actually is supposed to do that already - are you sure that the clipboard hadn't changed? Any chance the app might have crashed immediately after you opened it with that clipboard the first time?
right now i cant reproduce, but had that several times before. did not experience any crashes (except in flashcard module)

workflow normally as follows:
during the day - copy a message from QQ, open reader clipboard displayed first time, sometimes i save a new flashcard(maybe that has an influence)
later (sometimes hours) - open with dict icon - leads to reader with same old clipboard
- or open flashcards - leads to reader with same old clipboard

if it happened just once, i would not have mentioned it, because at first i always assume the error to be in front of the touchscreen, hehe

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
Would it help if we added an Organize Cards menu option during flashcard tests?

I guess that would work, if its the easiest option. still it seems to me that that putting in under the more settings options, Card selection, scoring, ect., would make more sense. usualy i can wait 'til i'm done my current test to reorganize something. often i just need to browse my flash cards. oh, it would be cool if there were a way to play the audio while in that "organize cards" list too.

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
Any that you haven't reported?

I don't think so. not that others haven reported already. my main problem is the unpredictably of the launch icons. half the time they work and half the time the wrong module launches, or nothing at all.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

mfcb said:
right now i cant reproduce, but had that several times before. did not experience any crashes (except in flashcard module)

Well the new launch behavior in the next beta should fix it - please let us know right away if you see it again in that.

ckatt said:
I guess that would work, if its the easiest option. still it seems to me that that putting in under the more settings options, Card selection, scoring, ect., would make more sense. usualy i can wait 'til i'm done my current test to reorganize something. often i just need to browse my flash cards.

Not quite understanding this... so you want it in the "Flashcard Testing" screen so that you have a slightly faster way to get at it? Seems like the main problem you were describing was the difficulty of accessing it during a flashcard test, which this would fix nicely.

ckatt said:
oh, it would be cool if there were a way to play the audio while in that "organize cards" list too.

This one's pretty well locked-in but we can look at that for a future one. (not too hard, just a context menu item)

ckatt said:
my main problem is the unpredictably of the launch icons. half the time they work and half the time the wrong module launches, or nothing at all.

That should almost certainly be fixed in the new beta.

ckatt

状元

Not quite understanding this... so you want it in the "Flashcard Testing" screen so that you have a slightly faster way to get at it? Seems like the main problem you were describing was the difficulty of accessing it during a flashcard test, which this would fix nicely.

AH, no i guess i was unclear. its not that i need it during a test per say its just that sometimes i start a test from the green icon, and other times i have been using the dictionary first. now if i had began the test by the green icon i cannot get to the organize cards screen without exiting the program and relaunching with the standard icon.
This just seems odd to me, that i cannot organize or browse through my flash cards by using the flash cards icon.
likewise if after a test i want to check my statistics i have to exit to the home screen, then relaunch pleco and open the flashcards through the menus to get to the statistics screen. My suggestion was that these options should be moved to the menu that comes up when you tap the green icon, or a sub menu of it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
AH, no i guess i was unclear. its not that i need it during a test per say its just that sometimes i start a test from the green icon, and other times i have been using the dictionary first. now if i had began the test by the green icon i cannot get to the organize cards screen without exiting the program and relaunching with the standard icon.
This just seems odd to me, that i cannot organize or browse through my flash cards by using the flash cards icon.

Ah, well that one should definitely be fixed in b4.

ckatt said:
likewise if after a test i want to check my statistics i have to exit to the home screen, then relaunch pleco and open the flashcards through the menus to get to the statistics screen. My suggestion was that these options should be moved to the menu that comes up when you tap the green icon, or a sub menu of it.

The green icon now takes you to the first flashcard screen (the one with Organize etc), but if you were in the middle of something else like a flashcard test it'll take you back to that instead.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
The green icon now takes you to the first flashcard screen (the one with Organize etc), but if you were in the middle of something else like a flashcard test it'll take you back to that instead.

Well there we go then. that's probably the best and easiest solution. :D

kyococo

秀才
flashcard bug in Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c

There is an issue with the flashcards:
- clicking on the pencil open a window that no longer cover the complete screen. The window is too tiny to be useful as a drafting area
- subsequently, clicking again does not remove the draft area which covers the test drawing area and hinder it until restart.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

kyococo said:
- clicking on the pencil open a window that no longer cover the complete screen. The window is too tiny to be useful as a drafting area

That one's actually by request - a lot of people wrote and said they wanted to maintain access to the buttons while drawing, so they wouldn't have to keep tapping on that pencil button all the time.

What type / model of device do you have? Perhaps we could make this optional on devices with smaller screens, or something like that.

kyococo said:
- subsequently, clicking again does not remove the draft area which covers the test drawing area and hinder it until restart.

That one's news to us - again, which model of device do you have? And which version of Android is it running?