Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

ckatt said:
OK maybe this is a weird request but it could be useful for a lot of people.
most phones a have sensor on them to know when the phone is against your ear so it can turn the screen off. would it be possible to use this switch to play the audio for a dictionary entry or flash card? often when i'm in a crowded or loud place it's not that convenient to turn the volume up really loud and even then i sometimes cant hear a word to clearly or i hit the wrong button because i'm trying to hold the speaker on the back of my phone to my ear while pressing a button on the front. this would also free up some button space for me in the dictionary as it could be a good alternative to having the play audio button on the menu bar since i could just cover the sensor with my finger.

Might work in conjunction with auto-advancing / text-to-speech flashcards. However 2.4 is likely to get one more beta and then be released without many additional new features (just some design tweaks), since we need some of the code changes in it in order to properly support the 'early access' classical / TCM / etc dictionaries we're about to release and we'd rather not have to backport them to 2.3.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
OK maybe this is a weird request but it could be useful for a lot of people.
most phones a have sensor on them to know when the phone is against your ear so it can turn the screen off. would it be possible to use this switch to play the audio for a dictionary entry or flash card? often when i'm in a crowded or loud place it's not that convenient to turn the volume up really loud and even then i sometimes cant hear a word to clearly or i hit the wrong button because i'm trying to hold the speaker on the back of my phone to my ear while pressing a button on the front. this would also free up some button space for me in the dictionary as it could be a good alternative to having the play audio button on the menu bar since i could just cover the sensor with my finger.

Might work in conjunction with auto-advancing / text-to-speech flashcards. However 2.4 is likely to get one more beta and then be released without many additional new features (just some design tweaks), since we need some of the code changes in it in order to properly support the 'early access' classical / TCM / etc dictionaries we're about to release and we'd rather not have to backport them to 2.3.

do what you need to do. If this feature shows up some day though, i'll be quite happy.

ckatt

状元

ckatt said:
mikelove said:
ckatt said:
Oops sry its a HTC one v
Well I hadnt tried before but there no flash card or audio button with the keyboard open in landscape mode either

Hmm... might have something to do with the menu button, which on newer HTCs tends to misbehave a lot - is that button visible on the right side of the toolbar? (three vertically-stacked dots)
Yeah the menu button is just fine the option to show or hide it works ok too. That and the history button are the only buttons I can show or hide with the keyboard open.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
Yeah the menu button is just fine the option to show or hide it works ok too. That and the history button are the only buttons I can show or hide with the keyboard open.

We weren't able to reproduce this, but I realized I never asked if you're using Pleco in "2-panel mode" - are you? The buttons won't appear otherwise since there's no selected entry which you might potentially create a flashcard from or play audio from - to do that from just a list of entries you'd need to tap-hold on the entry in question and select the appropriate menu option to listen to or flashcard-ify it.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:

We weren't able to reproduce this, but I realized I never asked if you're using Pleco in "2-panel mode" - are you? The buttons won't appear otherwise since there's no selected entry which you might potentially create a flashcard from or play audio from - to do that from just a list of entries you'd need to tap-hold on the entry in question and select the appropriate menu option to listen to or flashcard-ify it.

I am using two panel mode but it seems that when the keyboard is open it is effectively pushed into one panel mode. I think just a rewording in the option screen could clear this up under the heading of "CONTROLS (KEYBOARD OPEN)" the bracketed note stating "(only in two-panel layout)" should also indicate that "Keep definition visible" must also be checked.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
I am using two panel mode but it seems that when the keyboard is open it is effectively pushed into one panel mode. I think just a rewording in the option screen could clear this up under the heading of "CONTROLS (KEYBOARD OPEN)" the bracketed note stating "(only in two-panel layout)" should also indicate that "Keep definition visible" must also be checked.

Good point, I'll make a note to add that.