Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Fixed most of the issues reported so far and a few that we found on our own - we haven't yet sorted out the cause of Wan's vmem crash on startup, though, unfortunately.

With crashing bugs, please download the free aLogcat utility from Google Play (or this alternate link), run it (preferably ASAP after the crash), and attach / PM / email us the log output.

kiraven

举人
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

I had to reenter my serial number and to redownload all addons. That wasn't mentioned in the announcement-thread, I am not sure if that is intended?

//edit:
and all my setings and flashcards are lost. I was wise enough to backup the database before, but I would prefer if it wouldn't be necessary to adjust all settings again. What went wrong/what can I do?
//edit2:
apparently I have two plecos now, the one installed via Google Play and the beta installed via apk. Old Pleco is still using my old settings :) Do they use different directories?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

kiraven said:
apparently I have two plecos now, the one installed via Google Play and the beta installed via apk. Old Pleco is still using my old settings Do they use different directories?

Sounds like you have the "CN" version - we have to give it a different app ID in order to be able to list it in Google Play alongside the regular non-CN version, so yes, the directories / settings / etc are all different.

Yiliya

榜眼

Some rare characters stopped showing, like the simplified form of song2 (in ABC).

Also, not really related to this new version, but I always wanted to mention this anyway. Some of the rare characters like 㞞 and 㹴 can be displayed using the Droid font (since they're both in CJK Extension A), there's no need to use the ugly Wenlin system for them.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yiliya said:
Some rare characters stopped showing, like the simplified form of song2 (in ABC).

Thanks - I think they might have switched from a PUA code to an Extension-B (or C?) one but not added that character to CDL yet.

Yiliya said:
Also, not really related to this new version, but I always wanted to mention this anyway. Some of the rare characters like 㞞 and 㹴 can be displayed using the Droid font (since they're both in CJK Extension A), there's no need to use the ugly Wenlin system for them.

The problem is that on Android manufacturers can and do customize their fonts - we've seen numerous devices that have stripped out Extension A for space-saving reasons or simply because the manufacturer preferred another font that lacks it. And there's not currently any performance-efficient way to determine in advance whether or not a particular character is covered by the device's Chinese fonts, so the only way to be sure is to use CDL for all the Ext-A ones.

We could add an option to override this, though, for users who know that they're covered; could also provide an option to override for Extension B if you've installed a custom Chinese font that covers that too.

Yiliya

榜眼

mikelove said:
Yiliya said:
Thanks - I think they might have switched from a PUA code to an Extension-B (or C?) one but not added that character to CDL yet.
The simplified variant of 㞞 in Wenlin 4 doesn't use a PUA code, it's U+2aa0a [CJK Extension C, Unicode 5.2]. Your PLC dictionary still displays it just fine, it's only ABC that's got broken. I've no idea why would they switch from a well established code point to something else. Maybe something got corrupted on the way? What code point is used in the new database?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yiliya said:
The simplified variant of 㞞 in Wenlin 4 doesn't use a PUA code, it's U+2aa0a [CJK Extension C, Unicode 5.2]. Your PLC dictionary still displays it just fine, it's only ABC that's got broken. I've no idea why would they switch from a well established code point to something else. Maybe something got corrupted on the way? What code point is used in the new database?

That's the code point in our database too, 2AA0A - they haven't yet given us a CDL update to cover Extension C. It was previously mapped to a PUA code point that CDL does cover. We're already doing an embedded-造字-image feature for some other dictionaries, so I think we may end up covering these cases with that.

mfcb

状元

found another serious one (exists in Beta1 and Beta2)

made a search for some cards (category + > date) and tried edit -> all -> batch > add to another category...

hangs in the progress dialog, after some time comes back, categories not changed

if you cant reproduce, i will send a logcat

also, the new shortcuts (created by pleco itself) work as i wished for, but, using swipepad (nice tool, check it out) i am not able to access them... so i still need to stick to the older versions... is there a way to put the pleco shortcuts into the lists swipepad shows in the configure slot list? or is there documentation how to start pleco (parameters?) to create the shortcut behaviour?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

mfcb said:
made a search for some cards (category + > date) and tried edit -> all -> batch > add to another category...

hangs in the progress dialog, after some time comes back, categories not changed

if you cant reproduce, i will send a logcat

Just tried to reproduce that here without success, so a logcat would be great if you don't mind.

mfcb said:
also, the new shortcuts (created by pleco itself) work as i wished for, but, using swipepad (nice tool, check it out) i am not able to access them... so i still need to stick to the older versions... is there a way to put the pleco shortcuts into the lists swipepad shows in the configure slot list? or is there documentation how to start pleco (parameters?) to create the shortcut behaviour?

You can download the old launchers at http://cdn.pleco.com/androidapps/plecodroid-launchers-111202.zip but I don't see a way to reach the new ones from SwipePad - very odd, actually, they ought to be coming up in its "Shortcuts" list but they're not.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yiliya said:
mikelove said:
Yiliya said:

Update on this: Wenlin promptly and graciously supplied us with a table mapping Extension C codes back to PUA, so we'll use that with our next build of the ABC database and get these hundred or so characters to render correctly again.

ckatt

状元

In the colour picker it doesn't show dark colours. You can pick them for the text etc but the picker dosnt show the black. Also o can't het the flash card or audio button to show in portrait mode with the keyboard open.
Cheers

kiraven

举人

mikelove said:
kiraven said:
apparently I have two plecos now, the one installed via Google Play and the beta installed via apk. Old Pleco is still using my old settings Do they use different directories?

Sounds like you have the "CN" version - we have to give it a different app ID in order to be able to list it in Google Play alongside the regular non-CN version, so yes, the directories / settings / etc are all different.

yes, thank you. So if i wanted to change to the normal version, I only have to move/merge the content of the pleco-folders in /Android/data ?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
In the colour picker it doesn't show dark colours. You can pick them for the text etc but the picker dosnt show the black.

Oh, you're right - heh, didn't realize that it was a transparent color spectrum image on top of a black background. Easy fix anyway, thanks.

ckatt said:
Also o can't het the flash card or audio button to show in portrait mode with the keyboard open.

There may not be room for them in the toolbar - what model of phone are you using now? Does it help if you turn on the "Hide menu button" option (if your device is showing an onscreen menu button)?

kiraven said:
yes, thank you. So if i wanted to change to the normal version, I only have to move/merge the content of the pleco-folders in /Android/data ?

Yes - identical directory structure within that, but we have to keep the names separate so that Android will clean things up correctly if you uninstall our app.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
Also o can't het the flash card or audio button to show in portrait mode with the keyboard open.

There may not be room for them in the toolbar - what model of phone are you using now? Does it help if you turn on the "Hide menu button" option (if your device is showing an onscreen menu button)?
I'm using an HTC
Nothing seems to make it work. It can show all the buttons when the keyboard is closed though. The input bsquishedracter but all the buttons are there. But with the keyboard open the input box is 5 or 6 characters wide but i can't get the extra buttons to show.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
I'm using an HTC

Which model? (sorry, but we need specifics in order to find the exact screen resolution for it)

ckatt said:
Nothing seems to make it work. It can show all the buttons when the keyboard is closed though. The input bsquishedracter but all the buttons are there. But with the keyboard open the input box is 5 or 6 characters wide but i can't get the extra buttons to show.

Hmm... are you sure you changed the options for when it's in portrait and not landscape mode? Does it work if you change them in landscape (if you then test this with your device in landscape orientation)?

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
I'm using an HTC

Which model? (sorry, but we need specifics in order to find the exact screen resolution for it)

ckatt said:

Hmm... are you sure you changed the options for when it's in portrait and not landscape mode? Does it work if you change them in landscape (if you then test this with your device in landscape orientation)?

Oops sry its a HTC one v
Well I hadnt tried before but there no flash card or audio button with the keyboard open in landscape mode either

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
Oops sry its a HTC one v
Well I hadnt tried before but there no flash card or audio button with the keyboard open in landscape mode either

Hmm... might have something to do with the menu button, which on newer HTCs tends to misbehave a lot - is that button visible on the right side of the toolbar? (three vertically-stacked dots)

leutnerm

When I long-press on the dict button in reader, I can only choose from a list of 8 "CFDICT". Apparently, they're just all named CFDICT. But when I click on the first, I get the one I set first on the list. So it's just the wrong names (CFDICT for every dict).
Minor bug, but a bit annoying.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

leutnerm said:
When I long-press on the dict button in reader, I can only choose from a list of 8 "CFDICT". Apparently, they're just all named CFDICT. But when I click on the first, I get the one I set first on the list. So it's just the wrong names (CFDICT for every dict).
Minor bug, but a bit annoying.

Heh, that's a funny one - reminds me of a scene in "Being John Malkovich." Reproduced successfully, thanks.

alex_hk90

状元

I just installed 2.4.0 Beta 2 (coming from I think the latest non-beta version) and did all the updates it prompted for at the start - all looks good so far! :D I need to spend some time to work out what's going on with (and the best way of using) dictionary groups and the like, but it's kept all my settings and dictionaries and seems stable. I've just tried enabling full-text English search from a large (200,000+) entry user dictionary and it appears to work well (although it did take a long time to lock the database afterwards, a lot longer than building the full-text index itself, not that it matters too much for a one-off operation). Thank you! :)