Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

alex_hk90

状元
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

This might not be a bug (I'm probably just not understanding the dictionary groups properly) but I keep on getting stuck on the filled in (grey coloured) dictionary icon (by the results this seems to represent full-text (English) search in Chinese-English dictionaries) in the dictionary search toolbar when searching for English words. When I first search for an English word, it list definitions with matching headwords found in the English-Chinese dictionaries, and the icon in the top right is a non-filled (while coloured) dictionary icon. Then I press the icon and it shows matching entries using full-text search for Chinese-English dictionaries, and the icon in the top right is a filled dictionary icon. But when I press the icon again nothing happens, it doesn't switch back to the English headword matches. The opposite doesn't happen for Chinese searches, where it does let me loop back to the other set of results. :?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

alex_hk90 said:
I just installed 2.4.0 Beta 2 (coming from I think the latest non-beta version) and did all the updates it prompted for at the start - all looks good so far! :D I need to spend some time to work out what's going on with (and the best way of using) dictionary groups and the like, but it's kept all my settings and dictionaries and seems stable. I've just tried enabling full-text English search from a large (200,000+) entry user dictionary and it appears to work well (although it did take a long time to lock the database afterwards, a lot longer than building the full-text index itself, not that it matters too much for a one-off operation). Thank you! :)

Great!

alex_hk90 said:
This might not be a bug (I'm probably just not understanding the dictionary groups properly) but I keep on getting stuck on the filled in (grey coloured) dictionary icon (by the results this seems to represent full-text (English) search in Chinese-English dictionaries) in the dictionary search toolbar when searching for English words. When I first search for an English word, it list definitions with matching headwords found in the English-Chinese dictionaries, and the icon in the top right is a non-filled (while coloured) dictionary icon. Then I press the icon and it shows matching entries using full-text search for Chinese-English dictionaries, and the icon in the top right is a filled dictionary icon. But when I press the icon again nothing happens, it doesn't switch back to the English headword matches. The opposite doesn't happen for Chinese searches, where it does let me loop back to the other set of results. :?

That sounds like a bug, yes - we've dealt with a few similar ones already in the dictionary group system. Is this happening with your full-text user dictionary enabled? Probably something to do with that - a big source of ongoing issues with our new search code is that all of these various formats / types of search need to be consistent in how they report back how well they matched a particular search term, so that we can switch to whichever method offers the best results, and I guess that's bugged with user dictionary full-text search.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
Oops sry its a HTC one v
Well I hadnt tried before but there no flash card or audio button with the keyboard open in landscape mode either

Hmm... might have something to do with the menu button, which on newer HTCs tends to misbehave a lot - is that button visible on the right side of the toolbar? (three vertically-stacked dots)
Yeah the menu button is just fine the option to show or hide it works ok too. That and the history button are the only buttons I can show or hide with the keyboard open.

When I start the Beta 2, it tries to download the dictionary files, but I immediately get the message "Failed" and the Beta does not start. Not sure what the problem is, the normal
(CN) version of Pleco can reach the server without problems. In the message I am told to download the files from pleco.com/androidfiles, so I downloaded the basic files there. But
then the Beta tells me that these files are for a different version and does not accept them. Is there an alternative download link to get the files for the Beta 2 so I can try it out?

0815Pete

OCR - Unfortunately, I have had a couple of OCR crashes in the mere 10 minutes I was using the new crosshair now, i am back to the rectangle now, works smoother. Using a Samsung Galaxy S 2.

One more request. I noticed that during live OCR in Pulse mode, there is no "add flashcard" which is a real bummer, just "focus" and "span lines". I find Pulse mode to be the most satisfying way of OCR for my purposes. Could you bring back the "add flashcard" in your next update, please?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

andreas.koenig said:
When I start the Beta 2, it tries to download the dictionary files, but I immediately get the message "Failed" and the Beta does not start. Not sure what the problem is, the normal
(CN) version of Pleco can reach the server without problems. In the message I am told to download the files from pleco.com/androidfiles, so I downloaded the basic files there. But
then the Beta tells me that these files are for a different version and does not accept them. Is there an alternative download link to get the files for the Beta 2 so I can try it out?

Ah, looks like we forgot to upload that file to our HK mirror server - sorry about that, it's there now so if you run it again it should download correctly.

0815Pete said:
OCR - Unfortunately, I have had a couple of OCR crashes in the mere 10 minutes I was using the new crosshair now, i am back to the rectangle now, works smoother. Using a Samsung Galaxy S 2.

Sorry about that. Would you mind sending me a crash log? Download and run "aLogcat" to generate one, then "Share" it with support@pleco.com. (this works best if you do it immediately after a crash)

0815Pete said:
One more request. I noticed that during live OCR in Pulse mode, there is no "add flashcard" which is a real bummer, just "focus" and "span lines". I find Pulse mode to be the most satisfying way of OCR for my purposes. Could you bring back the "add flashcard" in your next update, please?

Was there one before? We can certainly add one but your question suggests that there already was one and I don't believe we ever had one to take out.

renovator

榜眼

This is a very minor bug but thought better to report. When doing flashcards, tapping on the keyboard keys normally brings up box with the character that has been tapped each time a character is tapped. In all modes except for flashcard mode this works properly. In flashcard mode, however, the box comes up briefly as it is supposed to everytime a key is pressed but the box is blank (no character shown). This was working fine in 2.3.14 but the beta 2.4.0 version has this problem. I am on an HTC One x using standard HTC Sense Input keyboard. Other than that, beta is awesome. Thanks Mike.

0815Pete

Just sent the log crash file.

And no, there was never an "add flashcard" in pulse, it was misleading of me. If you could put it in there, that would be great. :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

renovator said:
This is a very minor bug but thought better to report. When doing flashcards, tapping on the keyboard keys normally brings up box with the character that has been tapped each time a character is tapped. In all modes except for flashcard mode this works properly. In flashcard mode, however, the box comes up briefly as it is supposed to everytime a key is pressed but the box is blank (no character shown). This was working fine in 2.3.14 but the beta 2.4.0 version has this problem. I am on an HTC One x using standard HTC Sense Input keyboard. Other than that, beta is awesome. Thanks Mike.

Hmm... could you try submitting an answer and see if it grades it correct / incorrect even if the characters aren't appearing? This could be a simple font-too-big-for-the-box issue. Also, does it help if you go into "Test Settings" and turn off "Use builtin input method"?

renovator

榜眼

In all modes, the answer grade bar information appears to update correctly. In ReviewFlashCards>TestSettings>Unchecked Use builtin input method I have the problem but it is my preferred keyboard as it has the 5 tone buttons at the bottom of the keyboard. In ReviewFlashCards>TestSettings>Checked Use builtin input method, there is no problem and the box populates with each character as pressed but I don't really like this keyboard as need to type in the tone number after each pinyin entry. One correction, however, I have now carefully looked at the blank box each time I type a character and see a very faint rendering of the character. The character does not appear to be missing from the box but the font color of the character is identical or near identical to the color of the box which makes it virtualy impossible to see.

mikelove said:
renovator said:

Hmm... could you try submitting an answer and see if it grades it correct / incorrect even if the characters aren't appearing? This could be a simple font-too-big-for-the-box issue. Also, does it help if you go into "Test Settings" and turn off "Use builtin input method"?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

renovator said:
In all modes, the answer grade bar information appears to update correctly. In ReviewFlashCards>TestSettings>Unchecked Use builtin input method I have the problem but it is my preferred keyboard as it has the 5 tone buttons at the bottom of the keyboard. In ReviewFlashCards>TestSettings>Checked Use builtin input method, there is no problem and the box populates with each character as pressed but I don't really like this keyboard as need to type in the tone number after each pinyin entry. One correction, however, I have now carefully looked at the blank box each time I type a character and see a very faint rendering of the character. The character does not appear to be missing from the box but the font color of the character is identical or near identical to the color of the box which makes it virtualy impossible to see.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were referring to the answer boxes rather than the keys - anyway I'm definitely seeing this issue now, thanks!

alex_hk90

状元

mikelove said:
That sounds like a bug, yes - we've dealt with a few similar ones already in the dictionary group system. Is this happening with your full-text user dictionary enabled? Probably something to do with that - a big source of ongoing issues with our new search code is that all of these various formats / types of search need to be consistent in how they report back how well they matched a particular search term, so that we can switch to whichever method offers the best results, and I guess that's bugged with user dictionary full-text search.
Thank you for the quick response. :) I disabled full-text search for my user dictionaries, and then removed those dictionaries from search (unticking the "Use in search" option) altogether but it didn't seem to have any effect. I found an easy workaround though - when it's stuck on the grey-coloured dictionary icon (English full text search), while clicking that icon again doesn't do anything, if I click the language icon (英) to bring it to 中, and then again back to 英 it then returns to the white-coloured dictionary icon (English headword search). :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

alex_hk90 said:
Thank you for the quick response. :) I disabled full-text search for my user dictionaries, and then removed those dictionaries from search (unticking the "Use in search" option) altogether but it didn't seem to have any effect. I found an easy workaround though - when it's stuck on the grey-coloured dictionary icon (English full text search), while clicking that icon again doesn't do anything, if I click the language icon (英) to bring it to 中, and then again back to 英 it then returns to the white-coloured dictionary icon (English headword search). :)

Hmm... in that case, would you mind telling me a specific search term that triggers this plus the names / priority order of your installed dictionaries? That should let us reproduce this here.

alex_hk90

状元

mikelove said:
Hmm... in that case, would you mind telling me a specific search term that triggers this plus the names / priority order of your installed dictionaries? That should let us reproduce this here.
Every search term I've tried triggers it.

The priority order of my dictionaries are (under "Manage Dictionaries"):
---
[Dictionary Name] ([Use in toolbar]; [Show in menu]; [Use in search])
---
Chinese -
CC-CEDIT (No; Yes; Yes)
Pleco C-E (No; Yes; Yes)
ABC Compr. (No; Yes; Yes)
Tuttle (No; Yes; Yes)
Freq. 3000 [User Dictionary] (No; Yes; No)
AV Chinese [User Dictionary] (No; Yes; No)
YEDICT [User Dictionary] (No; Yes; No)
Adso (No; Yes; Yes)
Oxford C-E (No; No; No)
Guifan (No; No; No)
Unihan (No; Yes; Yes - Only as fallback)
HanDeDict (No; No; No)
---
English -
NWP (No; Yes; Yes)
21cn (No; Yes; Yes)
ABC E-C (No; Yes; Yes)
LDC (No; Yes; Yes)
DeHanDict (No; No; No)
Oxford E-C (No; No; No)
C&T Biz (No; No; No)
---

Dictionary Groups
---
Chinese -
All Chinese Dicts (Yes; Yes; Yes)
Full-text, Eng Dicts (Yes; Yes; Yes)
Full-text, Chn Dicts (No; Yes; Yes)
---
English -
All English Dicts (Yes; Yes; Yes)
Full-text, Chn Dicts (Yes; Yes; Yes)
Full-text, Eng Dicts (No; Yes; Yes)
---

Example search: "chalk"
---
English (white dictionary icon):
chalk
chalk and cheese
chalk and talk
chalk bed
chalk up
chalky
---
Chinese (grey dictionary icon):
粉笔
白垩
白粉
---

Thanks again. :)

ckatt

状元

Is there some way to disable the welcome from nshowing when there is nothing in the search box? I miss being able to easly browse through a dictonary. This was really useful with smaller custome dictionaries
Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

alex_hk90 said:

OK, we'll investigate further - thanks!

ckatt said:
Is there some way to disable the welcome from nshowing when there is nothing in the search box? I miss being able to easly browse through a dictonary. This was really useful with smaller custome dictionaries

We actually moved that function to the "Browse Dictionary" screen, accessible from Manage Dicts or by tap-holding on any dictionary entry - we've been playing around with something to replace the Welcome message, but in general we felt like having the list show search results one minute and full-dictionary browsing the next was causing too much confusion. Maybe one of the things we could replace Welcome with would be a link to that screen? What other dictionary-specific results / options might be useful there?

mfcb

状元

found a strange one:

upgraded my phone to 4.0.4 (so i cant say it was at 4.0.3 as well, since i did not use flashcards due to massive workload these days)

when i do a flashcard session, i ALWAYS use my bluetooth headset to listen to the male voice (did not test female yet). yesterday i experienced that pleco does not read about 50% of the words anymore after revealing the card. these words have no bluetooth sound also in normal dictionary mode: example 员,塬. these two are yuan2, but its not that easy, already said its about 50% of the words...
also when the 员 is in a compound it could be read, or not.

without the BT headset the words have sound ...

rebootet the phone, tried the SAME words again, same effect...

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
alex_hk90 said:

OK, we'll investigate further - thanks!

ckatt said:

We actually moved that function to the "Browse Dictionary" screen, accessible from Manage Dicts or by tap-holding on any dictionary entry - we've been playing around with something to replace the Welcome message, but in general we felt like having the list show search results one minute and full-dictionary browsing the next was causing too much confusion. Maybe one of the things we could replace Welcome with would be a link to that screen? What other dictionary-specific results /ptions might be useful there?
Ah yes I had found that screen but I didn't know you could get to it by tap holding. That helps , still I find the welcome screen to but useless after one read so I still prefer the old way unless there is something better.

mfcb

状元

maybe i remember it wrong, but wasn't there a setting to switch on android status bar in reader and/or flashcard interface?

cant find it now (searched through all settings several time, i think) and have a strong desire for that option...

ckatt

状元

Ok not a bug just a request. It would be nice for there to be an option to create a new category when you long tap to add a flash card to a category. Maybe a button at the end of the list of existing categorys for making a new.