Pleco 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

榜眼
I agree with @rizen suha on eating natural; however, to get your vitamin D levels into the green zone during winter, I think you have to take it as a vitamin D3 supplement (optimally in an oily solution), because you can't get it directly from food, and as we know, in the sunny season, the body is able to make it from the sunlight on the skin. I like fiber-rich foods, too.
Yes, most definitely. I cut all bread and pasta from my diet long ago and try to eat mostly meats, beans and greens. Mood changes are noticeable. Vitamin D supplements, however, are still quite important. I don't mean to sound like a self-medicating quack here, but there is a chance that many severe cases of covid are somehow linked to vtm D deficiency. My dad has been taking it for years, prescribed by his doctor, and my mom started taking it recently prescribed by her (different) doctor, precisely because it might prevent covid complications. The latter said there is absolutely no harm in me taking it as well, even though I'm not in any risk group.

And I double down on the cold showers. It's good stuff.

Shun

状元
Yes, most definitely. I cut all bread and pasta from my diet long ago and try to eat mostly meats, beans and greens. Mood changes are noticeable. Vitamin D supplements, however, are still quite important. I don't mean to sound like a self-medicating quack here, but there is a chance that many severe cases of covid are somehow linked to vtm D deficiency. My dad has been taking it for years, prescribed by his doctor, and my mom started taking it recently prescribed by her (different) doctor, precisely because it might prevent covid complications. The latter said there is absolutely no harm in me taking it as well, even though I'm not in any risk group.

And I double down on the cold showers. It's good stuff.

That's great to hear. I would be cutting down on most carbs, as well, but for some reason my body isn't quite made for an exclusively low-carb, high-protein, high-fiber diet—I never really managed to feel sated without at least 20-30% of carb calories in the diet. Perhaps I need the energy boost.

When someone says a particular food is good for you, it's my belief that one cannot simply look at the effects that food may have in isolation, but rather one would have to look at all the foods that person is regularly consuming to be sure what the effects are, because they all interact with each other long-term.

I agree that cold showers are great for the metabolism and circulation, but I guess exercise should have a similar effect (among others) if that's what you prefer.

I also read vitamin D3 is the vitamin most commonly missing during winter among people living north of the 40th (or 35th) parallel. IIRC, at least 50% of all people are said to have a deficiency during winter at least. But I'm pretty sure Mike knows this fact and has taken it all along. :)

Last edited:

Fernando

榜眼
I haven't cut carbs completely, I still eat rice and the occasional potatoes, carrots, etc. Beans also have carbs and they're very good for you. If I eat zero carbs I'll also feel hungry all the time.

Shun

状元
Misinterpreted, sorry. But still in any case, congratulations on managing it this way! For others reading this, it's that easy, and so beneficial.

Shun

状元
Thanks, that's a beautiful Latin font, and a clear black-on-white design! The night mode will surely look enticing like this, as well.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
To be clear, the example sentences in the search results are not going to be a standard thing, they're just turned on at the moment in order to really hammer our smooth scrolling support :)

Weyland

探花
Not trying to keep it secret:

~twitter~

I kind liked being able to hide the menu. I don't exactly need access to the reader/flashcards/addons/settings 95% of the time I'm using Pleco. Will the old layout be (partially) supported?

Also, I'm guessing, the stroke/chars/words tabs will still be accessible somehow even though they're not shown?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I kind liked being able to hide the menu. I don't exactly need access to the reader/flashcards/addons/settings 95% of the time I'm using Pleco. Will the old layout be (partially) supported?

We’re still using that old layout on iPad, but we’re not currently planning to keep it on iPhone.

However, each section will still have a top left popup navigation menu (to quickly jump between, say, different reader documents), so if we get a lot of complaints, it would not be at all difficult to add an option to make that menu also replace the tab bar. But I don’t think it’s something we’ll ship with initially.

But yes, this is just the search screen and the regular definition screen still works pretty much the same as it did before.

Fernando

榜眼
Looks very nice. I just hope there will still be an option to turn off tone coloring. I know it's a useful feature for a lot of people, but I personally find it distracting.

Weyland

探花
Looks very nice. I just hope there will still be an option to turn off tone coloring. I know it's a useful feature for a lot of people, but I personally find it distracting.

I'm assuming that just like the in the current version you can go into Settings > (General) Colors > Tone Colors and change things around. No?

岩恩

秀才
Thank you much for sharing the video of the new UI. It looks fantastic. The bottom bar, IMO, will be so much more smooth, nice, efficient.
Blessings on the work.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Does the bottom bar disappear once you start scrolling?

No, we considered that but thought it would be too confusing for users (not obvious how to get it to reappear). If we get a lot of complaints about that, we'd probably take it as another argument for adding an option to restore the sidebar menu, per my earlier comment to @Weyland.

No, we considered that but thought it would be too confusing for users (not obvious how to get it to reappear). If we get a lot of complaints about that, we'd probably take it as another argument for adding an option to restore the sidebar menu, per my earlier comment to @Weyland.
Well, from the iOS standpoint: assuming most users use Safari it’d be the same way Safari works: when you start scrolling the bottom bar would disappear to give you more screen real estate and reappears once you scroll up again... an everage iOS user should know that much... :)

It’s kind of a pity that the bottom bar will take up screen real estate in Pleco 4.0. Why not just make it an option to either keep it there at all times or hide it as you start scrolling?

(Or a sidebar option as you mentioned would be good too.)

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Tab bars are very different from toolbars, though - if you look in the App Store or Music app e.g. you'll see that the tab bar never vanishes. Apple's interface guidelines are perfectly OK with toolbars hiding (and they provide all sorts of useful APIs for that) but state that tab bars should remain visible everywhere except modal interfaces (and any system to make them hide on scroll would have to be something we did ourselves as the system provides no support for it).

But it's quite easy to remove the tab bar altogether and put a popup menu in the top left corner to navigate between sections, so as I said, if a lot of people are unhappy with this change (after actually trying it :)) we'll be happy to consider adding an option for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.