Pleco 4.0

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, both of those are already implemented for 4.0. (that includes importing them from Anki, at least with image files)

LeonardoM

秀才
@mikelove
Since new Apple Silicon Macs will support iPhone/iPads natively, are you considering stop Mac Pleco developing entirely? I would understand that, from an economic perspective. But, I mean, it would just so much greater if there was an app developed specifically for the Mac.. :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
With iOS 14 you can kind of target both at the same time, so that’s what we’re doing (and were planning even without Apple Silicon).

The Tams

With iOS 14 you can kind of target both at the same time, so that’s what we’re doing (and were planning even without Apple Silicon).
I am glad you are still supporting mac separately; I have an Android phone but a Mac laptop. I would love to be able to use Pleco with better posture.

1602293876414.png

alex_hk90

状元
I am glad you are still supporting mac separately; I have an Android phone but a Mac laptop. I would love to be able to use Pleco with better posture.

View attachment 3372
While not fully a substitute for a native desktop application, people have had success with using Pleco on desktops via Android emulators or controllers such as scrcpy:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Honestly, we did need a bottom-up rewrite - lots of 20-year-old Palm code that we couldn't really do much with - but it probably would have been better in retrospect to devote a larger % of our time to ongoing improvements in our existing app and not even talked about a larger update. We could have kept quietly working on it for years, vaguely responding to feature suggestions that were coming in 4.0 but impractical in 3.x as something we might consider some day, and made some modest but meaningful improvements to 3.x in the meantime to satisfy a lot of the more pressing feature requests.

We actually have been backporting various bits of 4.0 to 3.x when we can - "New OCR" for example was originally a 4.0 thing, and there's actually quite a lot of new 4.0 code in the last few minor iOS updates where Apple+licensor requirements forced us to swap out some parts of our old document reader with new ones ahead of schedule. But if this were done not simply out of convenience / necessity but as part of the overall roadmap, and allowing for upgrades even to code that we were absolutely sure we would be throwing away altogether in 4.0, it would have probably improved quality of life for our users in the meantime.