Pleco 4.0

(Knowing nothing of the complexity to implement it, or any UI guidelines) could the tab bar work like the current Favorites screen? i.e. allow the user to decide which items are on it and so quickly accessible?

Looking at the video above, I see "Add-ons" there, which while obviously very important, I don't use particularly frequently. Generally I prefer not seeing anything I'm not using at the time, so the way the Favorites screen currently works is great. Quick and unobtrusive.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Possibly, the tricky thing is that each tab's UI is a bit different and so it would take some work to customize each tab to include / not include specific child items. (but we'll have to do some of that anyway for the sidebar on iPad)

But actually I think we're probably going to end up putting a link to Add-ons at the top of Settings instead (with a nice attractive "Upgrade to Pleco Plus" banner or some such) and separating the test / organize flashcard functions into two tabs, at least that's the way we're currently leaning. While they're both flashcard-related, there's a strong likelihood people will want to do both of them at the same time, whereas with for example Live OCR now being part of Reader we think it's much less likely somebody is going to want to be reading a document and live OCR'ing another document at the same time. We had originally been planning to have you just tap on the Flash button to toggle between testing and organizing, but that's not a standard gesture and nobody will know about / use it.

(also, honestly, after doing some testing with this it's a little too easy to jump into add-ons by accident; we obviously do want to sell stuff, but we don't want people to feel like if they use our app incorrectly they're going to be charged for something they didn't want, or else many of them will simply choose not to use our app at all)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I should add that Organize is getting a bunch of nifty new functionality that makes it all the more useful as a primary tab:

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 12 Pro - 2020-12-28 at 11.11.11.png

(haven't converted the New Card / Category / Search buttons into floating ones yet, but we will)