Outlier Dictionary of Chinese Characters

Shun

状元
I have the same problem. It shows them as installed under the Installed area, but they stay listed in the Updated area even if I refresh it. They work in the rest of the app, just the Add-ons screen has that quirk. (iOS, Pleco v3.2.32)

Reactions: JD

JD

状元
Refresh the file list (swipe down on iOS / tap the reload button on Android) and they should work correctly.
Tried that several times, including restarting app (iOS, stop app, and swipe up to close) but this is still what I see:
(They’ve been “installed” twice now)
017EB6EA-2412-4E6E-8A34-65B399AB5512.png

shaluig

举人
There was a bug on Android for me, too, indicating the download failed and asking me to go to pleco.com/androidfiles .
I tried a second time and everything went smoothly.
Maybe we are too many downloading at the same time ?

Shun

状元
There was a bug on Android for me, too, indicating the download failed and asking me to go to pleco.com/androidfiles .
I tried a second time and everything went smoothly.
Maybe we are too many downloading at the same time ?

I think the problem you're describing could have been a separate problem. I guess on the iOS side, it has to relate to how the dictionaries are registered. I just tried updating my Android phone, they installed without any residue. So the possible registration probem is limited to iOS.

I also noticed that on Android, only the Outlier Mini (Simplified and Traditional) were offered for download and installed, while on iOS, four dictionaries were offered, Outlier Mini Simp. & Trad., and Outlier Essentials Simp. & Trad. (That could also have to do with the different Registration IDs on the two devices.)

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If refreshing doesn't help, try background-killing and reopening Pleco, or if you don't know how to do that, rebooting your phone; that should get it to reload. (problem was some bad cached data)

Shun

状元
Oh yes, it now works as expected; should've tried that. Yes, sometimes I'd like to kill an app with "kill -9 [app]" on iPhone—but not Pleco, of course. :)

JD

状元
If refreshing doesn't help, try background-killing and reopening Pleco, or if you don't know how to do that, rebooting your phone; that should get it to reload. (problem was some bad cached data)

I had fully closed (iOS: double click home and swipe up) Pleco iOS several times, but the Updates still remained

HOWEVER: I did a full reboot (hold down home & power until logo appears) and restarted Pleco. The downloads had to again download & install (third time), but this time they are no longer on the Updated list.

n9

秀才
Are the stroke order diagrams in your dictionary really necessary? I think most people who get your dictionary also got the diagrams from Pleco itself, and it takes up space.

Are the stroke order diagrams in your dictionary really necessary?
Maybe they're not really necessary. Then again, if there weren't any, someone might come up and ask for them.
I don't find it necessary to repeat the indication "How to use this info" in every entry, but some people may find it necessary, specially at the beginning.

Last edited:

Ash

进士
@n9 : they aren't necessary if you feel you don't need them. But, we can't not put them in there for that reason. What we might could do is make it to where they are hidden and you have to expand them or something. I don't know what level of effort that would be though. It's also something that would probably have to wait until the dictionary content is complete.

@sobriaebritas : Kind of the same issue. There isn't a good way to do that. If you don't put it in every entry, people aren't going to see it. if you tell them "go read this document before using the dictionary" they probably won't and might not even see where you've asked them to go look.

Hongtaiji

I am not sure if I just misunderstand something, but I have the impression, that there are a lot of weird errors in the dictionary. I bought the Expert edition yesterday and some entries seem very strange.

For example, 金 shows a single dot as its Ancient form in the OTC dictionary, not the actual ancient form depicting a copper crucible.

Jin as a radical/component form shows 许 under stroke order in the OTC dictionary.

無 shows the simplified form of the 金 component under Ancient form and 镜 under stroke order.

And this is just from a quick glance through a few characters.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We’re investigating a bug there- if you delete one of the two versions (simplified or traditional) and then exit / reopen Pleco, does that get the characters to appear normally?

Hongtaiji

We’re investigating a bug there- if you delete one of the two versions (simplified or traditional) and then exit / reopen Pleco, does that get the characters to appear normally?

Yes! That actually worked. Great. Will I be able to re-download the Simplified Version or can I only use when Version to be bug-free?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We should have a fix in a day or two, at which point you can download the updated databases to have access to both again.

Peter

榜眼
Fix is up now, sorry about that. (entirely on our end, related to not having enough PUA codepoints assigned to cover the 20,000+ images Outlier is now including in each edition of their dictionary)

When viewing an Outlier entry, I find that scrolling stutters when I scroll over the stroke order diagrams. My phone is fast otherwise.

Peter

榜眼
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 with MIUI 10 (~Android 8.1).

To describe it further, as the Outlier Dictionary stroke order diagrams comes into view, scrolling stutters. Example 睿 entry. Not a show stopper, Pleco is still usable.