Outlier Dictionary of Chinese Characters

Discussion in 'Future Products' started by mikelove, May 13, 2015.

1. John Renfroe

John Renfroe 举人

Yes, both are included. You can download either, or both.

Wan likes this.
  2. phz

phz 秀才

This product is a nice addition even for young learners to recognize the sound and semantic components.
    Looking forward to more entries and feature additions. There's a good chance that I will spend more money than I should ^^

3. pdwalker

pdwalker 进士

Just to note: While I have not used the Outlier dictionary a lot, I do look and I am starting to guess character pronunciations based on the little I have learned from the Outlier dictionary so far.

Wan and alex_hk90 like this.
  4. 澳

举人

I read on Outlier's blog that update 1.1 is nearly here. Does Pleco have any news on this front?

5. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

Just that update 1.1 is nearly here :)

6. John Renfroe

John Renfroe 举人

Data sent to Pleco. It was a bigger update than we even realized. :)

Announcement here, along with details about all the new stuff in this release.

sobriaebritas and lovepleco like this.
  7. lechuan

lechuan 秀才

Just wondering, is the long term plan to keep this is a standalone dictionary? Or are there plans to install it as an add-on that will integrate with the "CHARS" tab?

Normally, I look in the dictionary listings for definitions, and click on the CHARS tab to find out more about a character.

8. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

Long-term plan is to integrate it - actually the plan is that the tabs themselves will be customizable in 4.0 or 4.1.

lovepleco, JD and Alexis like this.
  9. John Renfroe

John Renfroe 举人

It's out! Here's a screen shot:

[​IMG]

More screen shots and info about this release available here.

alex_hk90 and Furio Petrossi like this.
  10. Better and better!...

JD and John Renfroe like this.
  11. pdwalker

pdwalker 进士

pretty!

[edit:] I was about to ask why I couldn't see the coloring, but then I read your update notes.

Update your copy of Pleco folks! Don't be dumb like me and wonder why you are not seeing everything.

sobriaebritas and John Renfroe like this.
  12. not to nitpick but: ancient forms, red/black simplified characters and stroke order doesn't look nearly as crisp or clean on andorid

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 3.28.30 PM.png

13. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

They look clean here - what brand / model of phone + version of Android is this?

Screenshot_20170713-105032.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  14. ARChon Custom Runtime 2.1.0 - x86_6441.4410.238.0 // Pleco Chinese Dictionary 3.2.23

15. Archon + Pleco 3.2.47, not so bad: anyway ARChon is not Android (perhaps it's similar to Chromium OS, but I'm not an expert...)
    My nexus5x & Android 7.1.2 has a better image.

Attached Files:

16. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

Ah, yes, probably some combination of the lower resolution of (most) desktop screens + ARChon not shipping with a very good image scaling algorithm. We're thinking about adding support for embedded vector images (SVGs) in our 4.0 update, which might render better.

17. sobriaebritas

sobriaebritas 榜眼

Just a suggestion. In entries like 高, to add this piece of information: "高 gāo is a sound component in 膏 搞 稿 敲 (among other characters)".

18. John Renfroe

John Renfroe 举人

That sort of thing will be in the Essentials and Expert Editions. Check out the "System" tab in the entries for 立, 各, and 尚 in our demo for an idea of what that may look like (though the actual implementation may be different).

sobriaebritas and alex_hk90 like this.
  19. Dunhuang17

Dunhuang17 Member

How do I buy this?

I have looked everywhere in the 'Add Ons' section but I can't find it...

How much is it in £ Pounds? I want the Expert edition.

20. John Renfroe

John Renfroe 举人

Only the Mini Edition is currently available in Pleco. The Essentials and Expert Editions can be pre-ordered through our website. If you pre-order, you'll get the current version plus updates until your chosen version is complete.