MoE Minnan and Hakka dictionaries

alex_hk90

状元
My priority would be: Appendix > 異體字 > "reading" > parentheses around example tranlations.

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about this - just been a bit busy recently and now on holiday for a week so won't have much time until I get back.
In the meantime, I've updated the relevant documentation and scripts on GitHub now so it's all up to date with the latest version (MoE-Minnan-v04), including the diacritic tone Romanisation:
Pleco-User-Dictionaries/MoE-Minnan

Abun

榜眼
Haha no worries, there's no schedule to be met after all :D Also it's awesome that you're doing it to begin with, especially seeing as the immediate benefit for yourself is rather small since you don't study Taiwanese. So big thank you!

alex_hk90

状元
Haha no worries, there's no schedule to be met after all :D Also it's awesome that you're doing it to begin with, especially seeing as the immediate benefit for yourself is rather small since you don't study Taiwanese. So big thank you!

You're welcome. :)
Would you mind editing the first post of this thread to link to the Readme or the MoE-Minnan page so people can quickly find the Pleco conversion?

alex_hk90

状元
Done. Judging by the unchanged number of entries, I guess v04 doesn't contain the appendix, yet, right?
Thanks, and yes - v04 was from a few weeks ago; I just added the .pqb files and mirrors, and some additional information.

alex_hk90

状元
Any progress on the appendix files?

Sorry, I haven't had the time to look at this recently - been busy travelling and then with other (non-Pleco related) mini-projects.
Might have some time this weekend, but can't guarantee it.

alex_hk90

状元
Any progress on the appendix files?
Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about this, simply haven't had the time recently.

@mikelove Just want to check if there are any plans to make these official Pleco dictionaries before doing too much more on the user dictionary conversion?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I don't think we'd make them official Pleco dictionaries unless/until we add official support for the relevant romanizations to Pleco, which is unlikely to happen for at least a year. In fact it's likely we'll have the ability to add searchable custom fields to user dictionaries before we support any new romanizations officially in our own dictionaries. Only MoE thing we're likely to release officially in the near future is LACD.

Abun

榜眼
Sorry, I haven't had the time to look at this recently - been busy travelling and then with other (non-Pleco related) mini-projects.
No problem, I just wanted to make sure it's not forgotten :)

EDIT: Just finally got around to testing the .pqb version and for some reason it lacks tone indication completely for me (neither numbers nor diacritics). Can't quite pinpoint why because I can't inspect the code by trying to edit a card anymore.

I don't think we'd make them official Pleco dictionaries unless/until we add official support for the relevant romanizations to Pleco, which is unlikely to happen for at least a year. In fact it's likely we'll have the ability to add searchable custom fields to user dictionaries before we support any new romanizations officially in our own dictionaries. Only MoE thing we're likely to release officially in the near future is LACD.
I see, it's understandable (although regrettable from my perspective of course) that Minnan support isn't your top priority considering that the demand for other things is higher.
There is one thing I noticed recently though: Pleco converts numbers to diacritics even if the field text has "@" prefixed to it (so "@ting1" is displayed as "@tīng"). This is somewhat unfortunate for this dictionary project because the tone diacritics in Minnan are in most cases not the same as in Hanyu Pinyin (the macron marks the 7th tone for example). I thought the point in using the "@" prefix was to prevent Pleco from interpreting the field as Pinyin and applying conversions accordingly. And indeed, it does do that for all other Pinyin correction rules, just the tone conversion is still applied. Is that intentional? And if so, what is the reason for it? Would it be possible to turn that off (or add an option to do so) in future versions?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, where exactly are you seeing it do this? I just tried creating a user dictionary entry with @ting1 in the pinyin field and it seemed to work correctly, leaving it as @ting1 and not adding a diacritic; also worked fine when I exported that to a text file and reimported it. Could you give me some specific steps to reproduce this problem?

alex_hk90

状元
No problem, I just wanted to make sure it's not forgotten :)

EDIT: Just finally got around to testing the .pqb version and for some reason it lacks tone indication completely for me (neither numbers nor diacritics). Can't quite pinpoint why because I can't inspect the code by trying to edit a card anymore.

I have just tried and while the tones are not visible for me in the standard version, the numerals are visible for me in the converted version.
Also, the tones have not been coloured for me (I'm on a recent, if not the latest, Android version of Pleco: 3.2.22).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We fixed a possible bug related to this in 3.2.23 (had to do with how we treated user dictionary entries when we added them to flashcards) - does it work any better now?

Abun

榜眼
@mikelove: I had the problem with the v.4 flashcards, imported into a user dictionary on version 3.2.22 (Samsung Galaxy S3). After the update on 3.2.23 I can't recreate it anymore though, so I guess it was related to the bug you mentioned.

@alex_hk90: Yeah, stupid me, I loaded the standard version instead of the numeral version :rolleyes: Going to try the numeral version later but I have no doubt that that was the issue. Apologies.

alex_hk90

状元
@alex_hk90: Yeah, stupid me, I loaded the standard version instead of the numeral version :rolleyes: Going to try the numeral version later but I have no doubt that that was the issue. Apologies.

Just checking in to say that I haven't forgotten about the remaining additional items for this. I should have some time over the Christmas and New Year holidays to complete them. :)

alex_hk90

状元
I just realised that it's been over 8 months since the above post...
Is there still any demand for the additional items?
I've been caught up with various professional studies which has taken up some of the free time I previously had for this kind of thing.