Import flashcards and test based on order in imported file

Mythaar

秀才
I'm currently going through HSK 5 based on the BLCUP textbook. This means that I'm learning these words in batches of 30-40, and in order to match up with the exercises and explanations, I have to learn them "batch-by-batch".

However, this is very frustrating, as I'll have to update my file and re-import it into Pleco 36 times. So, is there a way for me to simply write out all of the words, and have Pleco add the new ones to my daily learning based on the order they are in the file? So it would look something like:

File
- block 1
- block 2
- block 3
(no separators, in this order)

Pleco tests
- day X: 20 from block 1
- x+1: remaining 20 from block 1
- x+2: first 20 from block 2
... and so on

Is this achievable or do I have to manually re-import the file dozens of times?

Shun

状元
Hi Mythaar,

I'll try to help figure out a good solution, but first I'll need to ask a couple of questions. I don't know your knowledge level, so apologies if I explain anything you already know.

However, this is very frustrating, as I'll have to update my file and re-import it into Pleco 36 times.

Are you updating your flashcards text file on your Mac/PC because you wish to have the exact word definitions from the textbook, rather than the (longer) definitions from the PLC Pleco dictionary, for example?

If you are happy with Pleco-supplied definitions, then tapping the "+" button in a Dictionary screen (long-press for change of category) for each new word should be a lot faster than updating the text file and importing it again.

So, is there a way for me to simply write out all of the words, and have Pleco add the new ones to my daily learning based on the order they are in the file? So it would look something like:

File
- block 1
- block 2
- block 3
(no separators, in this order)

How are you doing it without separators?

You can separate the list of words by category by inserting lines such as

// /Block 1/First 20

Then all the words that follow the separator will go into the category specified in the separator.

If you have the flashcards database structured like this:

/Block 1/First 20
/Block 1/Last 20
/Block 2/First 20
/Block 2/Last 20

and you add the vocab to this category structure, you can select exactly which categories you wish to study under New Test/Card categories. So when you don't have enough time, you only select the most recent one or two categories, or when you wish to do a deeper repetition, you select more of the earlier ones.

Are these suggestions helping you along?

Cheers,

Shun

Mythaar

秀才
Are you updating your flashcards text file on your Mac/PC because you wish to have the exact word definitions from the textbook, rather than the (longer) definitions from the PLC Pleco dictionary, for example?

If you are happy with Pleco-supplied definitions, then tapping the "+" button in a Dictionary screen (long-press for change of category) for each new word should be a lot faster than updating the text file and importing it again.
I'm doing it like this because I think it's faster than searching up forty words and pressing the plus button. Although it takes a minute or two to send to my phone and import, I can type forty words on the computer a lot faster than forty words on the phone + opening up the entry for each of them and changing their categories.

/Block 1/First 20
/Block 1/Last 20
/Block 2/First 20
/Block 2/Last 20

and you add the vocab to this category structure, you can select exactly which categories you wish to study under New Test/Card categories. So when you don't have enough time, you only select the most recent one or two categories, or when you wish to do a deeper repetition, you select more of the earlier ones.
I can see how this suggestion would work, but I think it would be less than optimal as if I want to be reviewing all HSK 5 words, I'd have to go through 30+ separate categories.

How are you doing it without separators?
Right now, I'm just making my list longer and longer by adding new words in bulk and then reviewing them until I finish the chapter. When I start a new chapter, I add all words from that chapter to the list, re-import, etc.
1624448478999.png

But thank you for trying to help me out with this, I know it's a bit of an edge case. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Shun

状元
I'm doing it like this because I think it's faster than searching up forty words and pressing the plus button. Although it takes a minute or two to send to my phone and import, I can type forty words on the computer a lot faster than forty words on the phone + opening up the entry for each of them and changing their categories.

OK; if you tap-hold the "+" button and set a new category, all the following words will go to that category. I can say I've entered thousands of words from the BLCUP New Practical Chinese Reader like this.

I can see how this suggestion would work, but I think it would be less than optimal as if I want to be reviewing all HSK 5 words, I'd have to go through 30+ separate categories.

You can select more than one category at once, so you could study them all together.

Right now, I'm just making my list longer and longer by adding new words in bulk and then reviewing them until I finish the chapter. When I start a new chapter, I add all words from that chapter to the list, re-import, etc.
View attachment 3614

That works, you could just add a line

// <<place>>

before the words, after which the words will be placed there. Then you could put only the new words in the text file and import that.

But thank you for trying to help me out with this, I know it's a bit of an edge case. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Sure, you're welcome!

Mythaar

秀才
OK; if you tap-hold the "+" button and set a new category, all the following words will go to that category
This sounds like something that would solve my problem, but I'm not sure what you mean. I've now realized that by tap-holding the + button I can toggle categories from the dictionary interface, but am not clear on how I could use this to add cards to my desired HSK 5 category in bulk. Could you please elaborate?

Shun

状元
Sure. First I have to ask you to go to the Settings > Flashcards screen, enable Multi-level cat prompt there, and check if Change on tap-hold is enabled. After that, you could proceed as follows:
  1. Create all the categories beforehand in Organize Flashcards. As you have a lot of blocks with two subcategories each, this could get tedious. So I quickly generated them for you:

// HSK 5/Block 1/First
    // HSK 5/Block 1/Last
    // HSK 5/Block 2/First
    // HSK 5/Block 2/Last
    // HSK 5/Block 3/First
    // HSK 5/Block 3/Last
    ... (see the attached file "Create subcategories.txt")

If you import that text file with empty subcategories, Pleco will create them for you.

With 50 blocks of about 40 cards each, this gives you enough room for about 2,000 cards.

2. Go to the dictionary part of Pleco and look up the first word you wish to add to Block 1/First. When it's displayed, tap-hold the "+" button and choose the HSK 5/Block 1/First category. Look up every following word and tap the "+" button only briefly for each word. You will see a message that the word has been added to the category you had chosen.

3. Continue in the same way with every following category, using tap-hold to change to the next categry.
If you like, you could copy the words you have already entered in the text file on your screenshot into my "Create subcategories.txt" template. But it certainly is good repetition to enter them in Pleco afresh, especially if you use handwriting recognition for it.

Wish you success,

Shun

Attachments

• Create subcategories.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 260