Flashcards Statistics Competition

antonbond

秀才
Interesting project Shun. Here's my screenshot. Just started using the srs about a year back. There seems to be too many words / characters to learn than time to learn them :(

Screenshot_2017-06-15-22-17-21-089_com.pleco.chinesesystem.png

Shun

状元
Hi antonbond,

thanks for the screenshot. Good work!

Do you also read texts with these words to make sure of their usage?

Cheers, Shun

antonbond

秀才
These words are mainly from the HSK vocabulary list which I've added to words I'm trying to learn from the NPCR textbook. I try to read and understand the examples in the various dictionaries I have on pleco.

Would love to be able to start reading some simple story book soon but it's such a chore at the moment as my vocab is still weak.

Shun

状元
OK, then you also have texts from NPCR. I think linking words up in memory with actual usage examples from texts is key. Thanks for the report!

This is the first really impressing statistic. I do not like too low figures for cards learned, like 350 or 400, because such a low score only shows that you remembered the card after 2 or 3 days. But @FrancoisTaipei has only 104 unlearned cards, and even with "cards learned: score >= 1000) more than 10000 out of 10715 belong to cards learned. This is an excellent result! The 83% average correct certainly are above average too.

I have one question @Mike: Total Repetitions / Per Day is 230348/191 = 1206 days of repetition, Cards Learned / Per Day = 10611/8 = 1326 days of successful learning. So it took @FrancoisTaipei 1326-1206=120 days more learning than repeating - what do these figures mean?

Haha it is nice to have someone recognize my hard work :p but so far I have never felt satisfied of where I was standing, so I am still pushing hard every day.

I think that the difference between "cards learned" and "total repetitions" is because I repeat flashcards more than once everyday. First I do the "first pass" where I do all the SRS. Then I repeat the 15-20% that I failed until I know them all. Then at the end of the day, I do one more time the ones that I failed + the new ones that I learned during the day.

Just FYI - when I reached 6500 flashcards (words), I started to watch movies (audio / subtitles all in chinese). I had to pause a lot and search for characters, but it was already possible. Say a 2 hours movie, I would watch in 4 hours.

At 7000, I started to watch TV series, same style, pausing a lot, but eventually I would understand it all

At 9500, I started to read books. First book was terribly difficult, it took me 3 months
10700, Second book, much easier, took 1 month to read
12000, 7th book, took 15 days to read

I also feel there is no end in the learning, but there are a lot of checkpoints. Every time I pass a checkpoint I feel really happy of the new things I am able to do. But I still see the overall picture, and i know that there is a lot left.

Plans for this year is to read 1 book per month, learn all the new vocabulary. By 2018 I hope I will be able to read books almost as if they were in English.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-16-08-27-45.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-16-08-27-45.png
    171.8 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:

antonbond

秀才
Haha it is nice to have someone recognize my hard work :p but so far I have never felt satisfied of where I was standing, so I am still pushing hard every day.

I think that the difference between "cards learned" and "total repetitions" is because I repeat flashcards more than once everyday. First I do the "first pass" where I do all the SRS. Then I repeat the 15-20% that I failed until I know them all. Then at the end of the day, I do one more time the ones that I failed + the new ones that I learned during the day.

Just FYI - when I reached 6500 flashcards (words), I started to watch movies (audio / subtitles all in chinese). I had to pause a lot and search for characters, but it was already possible. Say a 2 hours movie, I would watch in 4 hours.

At 7000, I started to watch TV series, same style, pausing a lot, but eventually I would understand it all

At 9500, I started to read books. First book was terribly difficult, it took me 3 months
10700, Second book, much easier, took 1 month to read
12000, 7th book, took 15 days to read

I also feel there is no end in the learning, but there are a lot of checkpoints. Every time I pass a checkpoint I feel really happy of the new things I am able to do. But I still see the overall picture, and i know that there is a lot left.

Plans for this year is to read 1 book per month, learn all the new vocabulary. By 2018 I hope I will be able to read books almost as if they were in English.
That's real awesome. Wish I can have some of your determination. Thanks for sharing your progress, it's very inspiring.

pdwalker, do you live in Asia? 2200 is already better than 90% of foreigners that I know in Taiwan :)
But don't look at those 90%, look at the remaining 10%!!! Keep going!

pdwalker

状元
I do. I wasn't actually complaining, I was more giving a backhanded compliment to you guys by making fun of myself.

I feel like I've just started to get to the stage where I am able to read simple things and get the gist of what it's about even though I don't know all the characters. I just have to keep on pressing on.

phz

秀才
Thank you all for sharing your experience! These numbers keep me motivated.
Personally I created about 400 cards yet and had about 4000 repetitions at all. Still developing ...

Reactions: Wan
Good evening from California . . . I am interested in participating, but I am not quite sure how to go about it. Did anyone of you share a "how-to" that I may have missed while reading the whole thread? Thank you much!

Shun

状元
Hi Catherine,

it’s relatively easy. You need to know how to take a screenshot of your Flashcard statistics screen and upload it to the forums. Are you on Android or iOS? On Android, you can press and hold the power and volume down buttons simultaneously. On iOS, it's the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons. Then you can tap the "Upload a File" button and select the screenshot, then tap that you want it to show up in the post. That’s it.

You’re welcome, Shun

It's not a real competition, just showing and comparing each other's statistics.
The statistics page not only shows the number of cards learned, but the score range, the total number of repetitions and so on, that gives clues about how everyone is learning.

Just passed the 300,000 repetitions mark yesterday :)

Shun

状元
Good work! What consistency and persistence! You will surely reach 500,000. I currently stand at 134,001 repetitions. I have to grow a new motivation, since my curiosity about the nature of the Chinese language has already been satisfied. I should try to focus more on communicative ability now, rather than just understanding and being able to “feel” how the language works.

On your first point, for me, the Flashcards Statistics Competition has aspects of a competition, since we're comparing the efforts made in learning Chinese, not just anything that’s unrelated to one’s performance.

Edit: You have to try this vocab list: https://plecoforums.com/download/20171019-sent14kw24ks-txt.2334/

It’s the result of teamwork, and I love studying with it.

Last edited:

Ledu

举人
I'd like to try. I've only had this setup since 1/1/24. I'll come back in 1 year and see what progress I made. So, a competition against myself. I enjoy doing the flashcards and I want to internalize the vocabulary multiple ways. I only use Self Graded for simplicity.

1708084053616.jpg1708089191979.jpg

Last edited:

Shun

状元
I'm with you! The Statistics in Pleco 4.0 will surely be even more detailed. (though I can't find them in the beta right now)