Beta 7(b) (stability-fix) Bug Report Thread

goog1e

举人
mikelove said:
Hmm... so you can't tap on any of the buttons in the Save Session box either? That's odd... does anything else appear in the foreground or is it just that dialog and the menu bar?

I'm sorry, the Save Session boxes are clickable, just nothing on the menu bar (the three items + pen).

Not sure if this is a Pleco bug or OS bug:

Stylus action: Tap char selects the correct character. Tap hold selects the character next to it (to the right). This has been happening in the previous betas also. Recalibrate screen does not solve the problem. Using large characters in definition does not solve the problem. You must tap far to the left in order to get the right character

Palm TX

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The Duelist - not seeing this here - what sorts of issues are these? Blank space or something else?

radioman - yes, you should still be able to read a fair amount of text with just GB as long as it's in simplified characters (or with Big5 if it's in traditional).

goog1e - phew, that's a little less worrisome anyway.

estudiando - which screen are you seeing this in? Is it only with tap hold or does it appear with other text selection too?

Mike,

Re: Stylus action: Tap char selects the correct character. Tap hold selects the character next to it (to the right). This has been happening in the previous betas also. Recalibrate screen does not solve the problem. Using large characters in definition does not solve the problem. You must tap far to the left in order to get the right character

I see this in the main dictionary screen. Tapping behaves correctly, tap select behaves correctly, only tap-hold selects the character to the right. In order to get the right character you have to (unaturally) tap towards the left of the character. If you tap hold the middle of the character, the character to the right is the one selected. I have tap char defined as pop-up definition and I have tap-hold as char-info

Thanks

mikelove said:
The Duelist - not seeing this here - what sorts of issues are these? Blank space or something else?
After Pressing The 'Done' Or 'Cancel' Button The Screen PD Is Supposed Return To Fails To Redraw.
The Buttons That Are Supposed To Be There, Are 'Invisible' Until You Tap On Them.

UI Bug Report:

List: Right
Handwriting: Bottom

Hide Handwriting On Small Screen:
Doesn't Seem To Work When You Close The List Panel.

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b7(b)

grabolus

举人
Hi,

in my opinion you should create the Beta 8 and go into rollout as soon as possible now. Beta 7 b is very stable on my machine. Pleco 1 users will be happy to have pleco 2 available. You can go on and make patches available later, either for all users or for beta users only at first. It looks like most bugs reported during the last days are pure cosmetical bugs.

Bye

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
estudiando - OK, that sounds like it should be easy to fix; our text selection system deals with half-characters instead of whole characters (so that it can highlight a character once you're past its halfway point) and it sounds like tap-hold isn't rounding those characters up/down correctly.

The Duelist - interesting - we made a bunch of changes to screen redrawing on Palm in b7b to get around some issues like this we'd been seeing in other places, guess we must have missed one. With the hide-handwriting not working, is the screen in portrait (tall) or landscape orientation? Is the Graffiti area closed or open? Do you have it set to remember layout separately for landscape mode?

grabolous - Beta 8 will also be Release Candidate 1, I think - the biggest remaining areas for work are actually documentation (including the built-in help screens) and website, we can't release 2.0 without having those in good shape.

sfrrr

状元
The 7b beta is very much slower than 7a. Both PlecoLaunch and PD take about 23 seconds to launch. (7a took about 17 plus or minus.) And, yes, I've still got the searching for new files checkbox unchecked, so that's not the problem.

Also, now I'm having trouble alunching my flashcards--sometimes I get a central white square in the midst of the screen (with the edges of results screen framing it) and sometimes it takes more than 20 seconds (haven't stuck it out to find out the time).

Audio files now come up. That's nice.

Aren't you glad to see me here?

Using an iPAQ 211. PD is on an 8 GB SD card.
Sandra

The Duelist said:
UI Bug Report:

Hide Handwriting On Small Screen:
Doesn't Seem To Work When You Close The List Panel.

mikelove said:
The Duelist - interesting - we made a bunch of changes to screen redrawing on Palm in b7b to get around some issues like this we'd been seeing in other places, guess we must have missed one. With the hide-handwriting not working, is the screen in portrait (tall) or landscape orientation? Is the Graffiti area closed or open? Do you have it set to remember layout landscape mode?
Settings:portrait Mode
Change Layout In Landscape Mode: Selected

I Open & Close The Grafitti Area.
The Hide Handwriting Function Works OK With Both Panels Open,
But, If The List Panel Is Closed,
The Handwriting Panel Doesn't (Auto) Hide When I Open/Close The Graffiti Panel.
The Handwriting Panel Just Shifts Up/Down The Screen.

Settings:Landscape Mode
Handwriting: Right
Change Layout In Landscape Mode: Selected

I Open & Close The Grafitti Area.
The Hide Handwriting Function Works OK With Both Panels Open,
But If I Close The List Panel,
The List Panel Reopens When I Close The Graffiti Panel.
(The Handwriting Panel Hides/Displays Correctly)

BTW: I Didn't Notice The Screen Redraw Problems Before PD2b7(b)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sfrrr - well I wish you'd chimed in before we were in almost-ready-to-ship mode, but nice to have you back at least :) (and probably my own darn fault for not pre-announcing new releases anymore)

With the slow startup, this sounds very much like it might be a conflict with something else on your system - are you still running a lot of other betas etc as before? Anything particularly complicated / bug-prone / relevant to files loading or windows appearing? And is it still this slow even with Pleco already running in the background / with Instant Access lookups?

Are your flashcards in internal memory or on an SD/CF card? (at the moment they don't behave well unless they're in internal)

The Duelist - oh, that's actually how it's designed to behave; it only hides the panel you tell it to hide if the other panel is visible. The behavior is leftover from the old version's layout engine where it always hid something when the screen was small unless you specifically told it not to. Though this is another case of you reporting something as a bug and my having to think as a result of that that maybe it would be better the other way, particularly since this mostly comes up when you're opening another input palette and hence would probably like to get rid of the one that's already showing.

Crash Report:
Input Panel
If The Input Panel Is Open (Hidden),
When I Try To Enter A Number In A Blank Search Field PD2 Crashes.
This Occurs For All Input Types: Hanzi/Radical/Pinyin ...

Minor Bug Report:
Radical Input
When I Clear The Radical Box, Then Tap It Again,
The Previous Radical Reappears,
But Doesn't Re-Display The Hanzi For That Radical In The Selection Box.

BTW: I Also Think PD2b7(b) Loads A Little Slower That The Previous PD2b7 Versions

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yep, seeing that crash here too. I'm not seeing the radical bug, though - what do you mean by "clear the radical box"? Do you tap on it to select a radical, then tap on it to cancel? Because that seems to be updating correctly here.

Not sure about the slow startup - might be because we're now storing temporary SQLite databases in the same place as regular ones, which could mean creating / deleting a few of them during startup takes a bit longer. (much safer though)

mikelove said:
I'm not seeing the radical bug, though - what do you mean by "clear the radical box"? Do you tap on it to select a radical, then tap on it to cancel? Because that seems to be updating correctly here.
I Mean Re-Tap The 'Square' Radical Box After It Has Cleared.
On The Second Tap The 'Cleared' Radical Reappears,
But The Box That Displays The Hanzi to Select, Doesn't Filter/Redisplay Hanzi For That Radical.
(The 'Initial' Radical Selections Are Displayed)

risandres

秀才
I hadn't been a regular beta tester, so I'm not aware of all known problems. Sorry if I duplicate them.
I'm running the lastest Beta 7b on Palm Tungsten E2.

One thing looks pretty obvious but I feel wrong: I use the traditional charaters set but in "Char Info" screen, in the Compounds tab, the characters are simplified. In the Stroke Order, the Radical square also use the simplified version of the radical. I think they should be traditional characters.

I've been using this beta7b only from yesterday, but the 7a, already very few "memory errors" and reset. Also, from I read in a post about errors coming from tap on screen when is busy, now I've learnt to avoid tap, and also the errors did. And now, I also read CJKOs using a lot of memory and it's recommended to use few fonts, ime, etc. Now, I'm not using with Pleco2, but my CJKOs come with the palm (I cann't delete the original fonts, ime, etc), and, worse, I added bigger fonts (I cannot read small chinese fonts) and the traditional IME of pinyin (the only one I know how to use). So, maybe I know why my pda has always few memory.

What I mean with this, all this information to avoid problems using pleco2, it should be somehow tell when the final release. For example, a special chapter on the guide "having/solving problems".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The Duelist - hmm.. sounds like it might be another screen update problem; we found a horrible bug on that front yesterday (apparently new in b7b) which we've now fixed, so hopefully in Beta 8 everything will refresh more smoothly.

risandres - I don't think anybody's mentioned that Char Info problem before, thanks. There's a note in the preface to the Palm OS installation manual about the E2 and trying to minimize how much other software is installed on it - we'll probably add a knowledge base article on that front too (now that we're committed to actually having a real / useful knowledge base system). A lot of these crashing bugs are rare or nonexistent on devices other than the E2, though, so I'm hesitant to put too many details about them in the manual for fear that a lot of people won't bother reading that they only apply to the E2 and will go to a lot of unnecessary trouble (the PlecoDict 1.0.3 updater is still one of the most popular downloads on our website, even though 1.0.3 has been out for more than two years and there's a note on the download page specifically telling people that they don't need it if they're downloading a new copy of Pleco).

With your CJKOS issue, if you can't delete any of the new fonts etc you might want to take a look at ResetDoctor - it's a lovely little application that keeps track of the status of your database memory cache (though it can't clean it on the E2 due to the E2's buggy memory management system) and backs up your preferences to make resets a bit less annoying when they do happen. You generally want about 3-4 MB of free cache memory for Pleco to run really smoothly, so if you run that and see a significantly lower amount you can soft reset your Palm to free up some more.

(I'm really starting to wish we hadn't put the E2 on our recommended devices list, though there's not really any way we could have known it would be this problematic)

manchucka

After installing B7b, Pleco 2 soft resets every time I run it. If I delete "Pleco 2" and reinstall it, then it gives me the choice of where to store the database. I've tried all 3 options, but each simply causes a soft reset :(

Treo 650
Plecodict 1 installed (still works perfectly)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That file-location prompt doesn't appear on startup in b7b - are you sure that's the version you've installed? Also, have you installed the system software update on your Treo 650? (released in early '06 - dramatically improves stability and other things). It's available at Palm.com if not.

manchucka

mikelove said:
That file-location prompt doesn't appear on startup in b7b - are you sure that's the version you've installed? Also, have you installed the system software update on your Treo 650? (released in early '06 - dramatically improves stability and other things). It's available at Palm.com if not.

I have the 650 update installed.

As for the prompt, perhaps this is a leftover from a previous beta that I tried, maybe a little less than a year ago. Are there files that I can hunt down and delete to ensure that I have a clean install while still keeping my v.1 intact? And yes, I did install the b7b files, but perhaps there is some cross-file wonkery occurring because of said previous install.

Thanks for your quick feedback Mikelove. I love this software and have turned several people on to it.