backup/restore issues

Alexkorm

Hi
I have accidentally deleted my Pleco app on Iphone. When re-installed, looks like all my flashcards are gone.
If i try to restore from iCloud in Pleco, it does not see any files saved in iCloud drive previously although I am sure it was on (iCloud/Pleco backack is set to 'On' in settings now).

Please help
Alex

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, do you mean that you were syncing flashcards in iCloud (Pleco Settings / Flashcards) or that the option in the system Settings app for Pleco to be backed up to iCloud was turned on?

In the first case, when you accidentally deleted Pleco, was there a prompt asking if you wanted to delete Pleco's iCloud documents as well? If you said "yes" to that then those iCloud files would be deleted too.

In the second case, that backup applies to your entire system, not to individual app deletions, so unfortunately the only way to get your flashcards back would be to wipe your iPhone completely and then restore from a backup made before you deleted Pleco. You could do this restore on a spare iPhone / iPad instead, as long as it's running the same iOS version as your current iPhone (or a later one) - once you had it restored on the other device you could transfer your flashcards from that to your current one.

Alexkorm

Thank you your reply. In iCloud options, sync setting was on before the app was deleted. It is on now as well. When an app was deleted, I did not get any prompt that Pleco's iCloud docs will be deleted.
Is there any hope in my case?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's possible it might be taking a while to sync in that case - try rebooting your phone and make sure it's plugged in and on WiFi, then open Pleco and wait; does a prompt appear about a flashcard database version conflict? If not, go into Settings / Flashcards, disable iCloud sync and then re-enable it (don't worry, this doesn't delete anything that's already on iCloud) - does that induce that prompt to appear?

Alexkorm

Thank you - just tried doing as you suggested: switched iCloud off and then put in On in Settings/Flashcards. Prompt appears saying flashcards replaced with iCloud version, but the end result is the same: my old flashcards are gone..Is there a way to use a backup from a specific date - I am afraid that my new 'no flashcard' status got somehow synced into iCloud and I need to use a backup from the previous date

Alexkorm

unfortunately it does not for some reason. On my iphone, if I go iCloud/storage/manage storage/ I can see my last backup for Pleco, and this is before Pleco was deleted. However, when in Pleco I try to On/Off iCloud sync, the prompt does not give me options to choose any backup files. However, if I go restore database/external files/ no backups are shown in iCloud dialog

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, I was referring to a wipe and restore of your entire system, as I described in an earlier post. There's no way to recover old backups / versions of files from individual apps.