3.2.x Bug Report / Feedback Thread

On iPhone, latest Pleco (3.2.67), flashcards suddenly are showing tone colours even when pronunciation is hidden. It seems to go away if I disable "Head / pron from dicts", but I had it enabled before without the bug occurring.

Attachments

• IMG_A392B64CA0B9-1.jpeg
    IMG_A392B64CA0B9-1.jpeg
    852.9 KB · Views: 164

Jxy

秀才
Pleco’s dictionary says the pronunciation of 大海 is da3hai3, but most dictionaries say it’s da4hai3. Think it’s a bug or a mistake.
B3A54340-036B-4568-8F4E-819548E479A2.jpeg

Shun

状元
Hello Mike,

I've just come across a bug that happened when I added a custom flashcard from a bit of Chinese text I selected while testing myself on a flashcard. Even though I have set a category to save the custom flashcard in, it will be saved in the "Uncategorized" area instead of the category I had set. The category was already set to the default Flashcards category when I entered the dialog. So I select Chinese text, tap on the "+" button, and add the following input:

81DCC540-9FB6-4FF8-8F14-1350EB19516B.jpeg

After I tap Save, I find this card in Uncategorized.

If you can't reproduce the bug, I'd be happy to send you my flashcards database.

Thanks,

Shun

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've had a few reports of this, will let you know if we have trouble reproducing it the next time we're doing an iOS bug fix update. (we're waiting a few weeks on that because we want 16.1 to be out in the field first, partly because it fixes some bugs in 16.0 that we'd rather not have to work around ourselves but would need to if we released an update built around the iOS 16 SDK)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thus far we've only managed to reproduce this in cases where the flashcard already exists in another category - is it possible that's the case here?

Shun

状元
That's strange, no, I've just added another completely new phrase, which then ended up in Uncategorized, as well:

4B494088-ECEF-43FC-BDA8-504BA6D65641.png1CAAB5A5-9ABC-4CE2-8A95-5E9C1AD1AC48.png

Shall I send you my flashcards database?

jurgen85

榜眼
The font 硬笔书 actually has pretty good traditional coverage, but it is missing some essential “variant” characters like 為, 強 and 絕. While this is obviously 方正’s problem (or ultimately a standardization problem), fortunately, its brother 硬笔书 has better coverage. I think using that as a fallback before 黑体 would look very natural.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is actually something we plan to make customizable soon. (Since a Chinese-to-other-language dictionary is one of the few places where “let users customize their own font fallback lists” is actually a useful feature)

kasper

Hi Mike,

I recently updated the app on my iPad and now the 'Upload / Download Files' functionality has disappeared.
Is this something that has been removed or is it something buggy on my device?

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Apple forced us to remove it - they now consider the APIs we were using to run a private on-device web server to be restricted / private APIs that developers are no longer permitted to use in their apps.

To be honest it was already kind of an unnecessary legacy feature, given that we now have AirDrop and "external files" and easy sharing from other apps - we added it all the way back in iOS 2.0 when it was actually really difficult to get files into an app any other way.

seawings

Currentyl experiencing an issue where although "Auto-play on reveal" is selected in the tests settings, when taking flashcard tests the audio files for each character do not autmatically play and must be selected manually instead.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Check your device's mute switch - we respect the mute switch for auto-playing audio but not for manually played audio.

I don't use it a lot, but I can't find the "Upload / Download Files" screen (for transferring files over wi-fi). Has it disappeared? I see no mention of it on any app store release notes.

It was definitely there in 3.2.64, and the latest 3.2.70 still has a setting for assigning a custom port, yet I can't find the feature anywhere. Is this a bug or a quietly removed feature?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It was definitely there in 3.2.64, and the latest 3.2.70 still has a setting for assigning a custom port, yet I can't find the feature anywhere. Is this a bug or a quietly removed feature?
Quietly removed, but not by choice - Apple marked a couple of the relevant programming interfaces as private APIs (I guess not a lot of people trying to run web servers on phones anymore) and so we were forced to remove them.