Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c Bug Report / Feedback Th

HW60 said:
In flashcards with "allow dict switching" there is a border at the right side with a strange symbol in the lower part, changing to the user dictionary name when touching the symbol.

That is odd, must be related to our new dictionary icon renderer... have you created any new "dictionary groups"?

HW60 said:
What does the setting "Filter head in definitions" mean?

It replaces any instance of the characters or Pinyin of the headword with a ~ in the definition, even if they're not already identified as a copy of the headword in the dictionary entry. (so you'll usually want it on)

HW60 said:
(6) User Dictionary (UD): no display of Kana in Main Screen
(7) UD: no display of Kana in Entire Entry
(8) UD: Edit Entry is OK (@ in first place is invisible)
But this one is really dangerous: if you tap Edit Entry and try to exit, than the question "Exit without saving?" comes up. you have to tap yes to keep the data, using "Save" destroys the pronunciation information even without any change

We'll investigate these three, but since Japanese still isn't something we're officially supporting we can really only make simple / unlikely-to-cause-problems fixes for now.

ckatt said:
here the long file and another one that i made after an unrelated crash i think it had something to do with switching input methods.

Do you remember which one is which? The first file doesn't really tell us anything but the second file does, so it'd be nice to know which incident it's associated with.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
here the long file and another one that i made after an unrelated crash i think it had something to do with switching input methods.

Do you remember which one is which? The first file doesn't really tell us anything but the second file does, so it'd be nice to know which incident it's associated with.
Sry i should have made that more clear. the first file (which has a later date) is from just after Pleco failed to launch. the second file is after a crash.

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
In flashcards with "allow dict switching" there is a border at the right side with a strange symbol in the lower part, changing to the user dictionary name when touching the symbol.
That is odd, must be related to our new dictionary icon renderer... have you created any new "dictionary groups"?
No - I found 3 groups, but I did not create or use any of them.

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
(6) User Dictionary (UD): no display of Kana in Main Screen
(7) UD: no display of Kana in Entire Entry
(8) UD: Edit Entry is OK (@ in first place is invisible)
But this one is really dangerous: if you tap Edit Entry and try to exit, than the question "Exit without saving?" comes up. you have to tap yes to keep the data, using "Save" destroys the pronunciation information even without any change
We'll investigate these three, but since Japanese still isn't something we're officially supporting we can really only make simple / unlikely-to-cause-problems fixes for now.
Any success in these investigations would be really great!

HW60

状元

In flashcards/fill in the blanks there are no problems when I tap on a character to display the screen with a right arrow in the top right corner (from there to get to the entire entry screen). With flashcards/Self-graded, however, tapping on a character also displays the "right arrow screen", but the previous screen with the information in the top line does not vanish, so that there are both screens at the same time. (I hope, that this has nothing to do with Kana, because I use Self-graded only with japanese flashcards).

In the main Screen I can erase the last stroke with the left arrow. Can I create a left arrow in Self-graded by some settings, or do I always have to erase the whole character by tapping with two fingers?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

HW60 said:
In flashcards/fill in the blanks there are no problems when I tap on a character to display the screen with a right arrow in the top right corner (from there to get to the entire entry screen). With flashcards/Self-graded, however, tapping on a character also displays the "right arrow screen", but the previous screen with the information in the top line does not vanish, so that there are both screens at the same time. (I hope, that this has nothing to do with Kana, because I use Self-graded only with japanese flashcards).

Sounds like a bug, probably not Kana-related but we'll investigate.

HW60 said:
In the main Screen I can erase the last stroke with the left arrow. Can I create a left arrow in Self-graded by some settings, or do I always have to erase the whole character by tapping with two fingers?

Currently you do, we're trying to keep that sketch box extremely lightweight because we had many complaints in previous versions about it being too slow to render (especially on tablets) so I'm reluctant to add back an undo option for it unless there's a lot of demand.

leynux

举人

i'm using document reader almost everyday, and really want to say thanks to those involve.

in the next release, can we do word or phrase highlight for new vocob, so it will ease to re-look or refer at later time.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

leynux said:
in the next release, can we do word or phrase highlight for new vocob, so it will ease to re-look or refer at later time.

For that, we'd need something called a Chinese text segmenter in order to accurately detect word boundaries (since otherwise we can end up in a situation where we're highlighting two characters that happen to make up one of your new words but are actually the last / first characters of two different words), and we're having a lot of difficulty licensing a mobile-friendly one of those at the moment. But this is certainly the sort of feature we'd be looking to add once we get one of those.

ckatt

状元

Maybe i'm not quite clear on the difference but i'm finding that the dictionary launcher and the regular icon both do the same thing. i tought that the standard icon was supposed to take you back to whatever it last was that you were doing i.e. if i had been in flashcards or the reader it would take me there. but the pleco dict icon should always take me the the dictionary. do i have it backwards? it seems the standard icon always takes me to the dictionary as dose the Pleco dict one. but on occasion i have been taken back to the flash cards by the pleco dict icon, but never by standard one, though i don't use it much because i have no link for it on my home screen just the Pleco dict and pleco flash icons.
PS
shouldn't the status bar launcher option be located with the other launchers and not in the start up actions menu?

leynux

举人

I'm usingDocument Reader on landscape view. With auto rotate screen enable, suddenly reader become white blank without text on potrait view.

I did scroll up there is some text, but most of the text missing.

When I go back to landscape view, text get normal. I'm using G.Note 10.1

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
Maybe i'm not quite clear on the difference but i'm finding that the dictionary launcher and the regular icon both do the same thing. i tought that the standard icon was supposed to take you back to whatever it last was that you were doing i.e. if i had been in flashcards or the reader it would take me there. but the pleco dict icon should always take me the the dictionary. do i have it backwards? it seems the standard icon always takes me to the dictionary as dose the Pleco dict one. but on occasion i have been taken back to the flash cards by the pleco dict icon, but never by standard one, though i don't use it much because i have no link for it on my home screen just the Pleco dict and pleco flash icons.

The standard one should take you back to where you were before, yes. So it's strange that it isn't - when you exited those screens, did you back up through the main Pleco screen or did you drop out to the home screen and then go back? If you switch back into Pleco using the Android task switcher, does it bring you to the last screen correctly then?

ckatt said:
shouldn't the status bar launcher option be located with the other launchers and not in the start up actions menu?

Actually that one needs to go away altogether, and will shortly, since it doesn't work on Android 3.0 or later.

leynux said:
I'm usingDocument Reader on landscape view. With auto rotate screen enable, suddenly reader become white blank without text on potrait view.

I did scroll up there is some text, but most of the text missing.

When I go back to landscape view, text get normal. I'm using G.Note 10.1

Not seeing that here but we'll investigate further, thanks.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
The standard one should take you back to where you were before, yes. So it's strange that it isn't - when you exited those screens, did you back up through the main Pleco screen or did you drop out to the home screen and then go back? If you switch back into Pleco using the Android task switcher, does it bring you to the last screen correctly then?
I've been testing it a few ways and the main icon always takes me back to the dictionary input screen, sometimes with the keyboard open and the search fields empty with the browse entries search tips ect. in the list, and sometimes showing my last search. if i don't use the back button to exit and just the home button and task switcher to jump around between other apps and flashcards, ocr ect. then launching pleco and trying to use the back button to exit will take me back through all the screens i had been using.
so lets say, after jumping around through various apps, i launch the flash cards from the green icon on my home screen, then hit the back button a few times. it will take back to the main dict screen, then i hit back again and it goes into the reader where i had been before, then to the ocr, then back to flash cards, then back to my home screen.
the task switcher works fine, it always takes me to where the thumb nail shows.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
I've been testing it a few ways and the main icon always takes me back to the dictionary input screen, sometimes with the keyboard open and the search fields empty with the browse entries search tips ect. in the list, and sometimes showing my last search. if i don't use the back button to exit and just the home button and task switcher to jump around between other apps and flashcards, ocr ect. then launching pleco and trying to use the back button to exit will take me back through all the screens i had been using.

Well if you've been gone for a while then the app would be unloaded and the main icon would naturally take you back there - it only relaunches if you reopen Pleco shortly after closing it. (this is an Android OS thing but it's based on the assumption that at that point you've forgotten whatever you were doing before and just want to go back to the main screen) Does doing that work correctly at least?

ckatt said:
so lets say, after jumping around through various apps, i launch the flash cards from the green icon on my home screen, then hit the back button a few times. it will take back to the main dict screen, then i hit back again and it goes into the reader where i had been before, then to the ocr, then back to flash cards, then back to my home screen.

Is this definitely the shortcut and not the separate Flashcard Launcher app? Perhaps our task flags are configured incorrectly.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:

Well if you've been gone for a while then the app would be unloaded and the main icon would naturally take you back there - it only relaunches if you reopen Pleco shortly after closing it. (this is an Android OS thing but it's based on the assumption that at that point you've forgotten whatever you were doing before and just want to go back to the main screen) Does doing that work correctly at least?
This seems to be working correct yes.
mikelove said:
ckatt said:

Is this definitely the shortcut and not the separate Flashcard Launcher app? Perhaps our task flags are configured incorrectly.

By "separate Flashcard Launcher app" you mean the one that used to be available on the play store right? No its no that one i deleted those once i have the beta that could make its own short cuts

But speaking of flash cards i have encountered a bug when using the multiple choice test. if i answer a card and then go back to a previous card i am unable to move forward. once taping the test button i am again given the choices for the last card that i had answered but tapping them yields no response. so i just quite the test and save it. when i restart it all works okay again. i'm not sure what i am doing to cause this though, as it is inconsistent. at the moment i can't reproduce it but it has happened many times in the past few days.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
But speaking of flash cards i have encountered a bug when using the multiple choice test. if i answer a card and then go back to a previous card i am unable to move forward. once taping the test button i am again given the choices for the last card that i had answered but tapping them yields no response. so i just quite the test and save it. when i restart it all works okay again. i'm not sure what i am doing to cause this though, as it is inconsistent. at the moment i can't reproduce it but it has happened many times in the past few days.

That's odd... I'm wondering whether this might relate to a card actually having no choices (or only one) and the system not recognizing / handling that correctly; was the system configured to draw choices from just the cards in the session, or from all cards?

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
That's odd... I'm wondering whether this might relate to a card actually having no choices (or only one) and the system not recognizing / handling that correctly; was the system configured to draw choices from just the cards in the session, or from all cards?
I believe it was set to all cards, but i the moment i can seem to reproduce it.

My flashcards crash on 7th card
(Nexus tablet). I have reproduced the error with different decks. By the way, will the final version have the option to use TTS in the reader. If not, will it be possible to play the voice recordings by default?
Will it be possible to use TTS with examples from Tuttle Learner Dictionary? Thank you for he great product.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

bernardpar said:
My flashcards crash on 7th card
(Nexus tablet). I have reproduced the error with different decks. By the way, will the final version have the option to use TTS in the reader. If not, will it be possible to play the voice recordings by default?
Will it be possible to use TTS with examples from Tuttle Learner Dictionary? Thank you for he great product.

I think we're going to end up pulling TTS for now (refunding everyone who bought it, of course) and only supporting third-party TTSes instead, at least for the moment - it's destabilizing things too much to build it into our app. (if you uninstall TTS then the flashcard audio crashes should go away)

We'll eventually support it officially in Tuttle, but in the meantime if you simply tap on a sentence to select part of it, then tap-hold on the |-> button, it'll select the whole sentence so that you can then play it with the audio button.

laurenth

秀才

Hello,

With a dictionary card open, you can select and copy whole sentences, including punctuation marks (which was not the case with previous versions). However, when pasting the sentence in another program (I've tried Ankidroid, Jota Text Editor, Chrome search box...), the punctuation marks are not properly decoded, eg a comma is replaced with a space, a full stop (Chinese circle) is replaced with a question mark in a black box, etc.

However, with a dictionary card opened in Pleco, if I use, Menu > Copy to clipboard, I have no such issues.

Using PLeco 2.4.0b3c on Samsung Note with Android 4.0.3

Regards,

L

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

laurenth said:
With a dictionary card open, you can select and copy whole sentences, including punctuation marks (which was not the case with previous versions). However, when pasting the sentence in another program (I've tried Ankidroid, Jota Text Editor, Chrome search box...), the punctuation marks are not properly decoded, eg a comma is replaced with a space, a full stop (Chinese circle) is replaced with a question mark in a black box, etc.

Seeing this here now too - sounds like we're copying from the wrong buffer (the one used to control the -> buttons instead of the actual text). Should be easy to fix, thanks.

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if it has been mentioned already. When I activate the option to browse through the dictionaries after a card has been revealed, I get some (mostly Korean) characters instead of the book icon (which has been there in previous versions). At first I thought it was because of the tablet I was using (Ainol Novo Fire), but I've got the same problem on my phone:

2012-11-02_21-19-05.jpg