Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mfcb

状元
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3a Bug Report / Feedback Th

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
had a chance to test the new beta on my ASUS tf101 today and i have the same problem there. one audio play in the flash cards and then no more anywhere in Pleco.

Reproduced and fixed - bug in our code for inserting silence at the end of audio in order to keep fussy Bluetooth headsets happy had the potential to make the system play *9 hours* of silence, tying up the audio playback thread.
any chance for a new beta soon? right now flashcards are pretty unusable. not sure if its just a feeling, but with each card its also getting slower and slower...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
I purchased the audio TTS add-on. Will you be enabling it to read full highlighted sentences in the reader? That's where I would anticipate using it the most.

Already have - tap-and-hold on the |-> button to select a whole sentence (do that twice to select a whole paragraph), then just tap on the play button to hear it read.

stephanhodges said:
For TTS system, for definitions that have a tilde marking the position of the headword, the audio doesn't pronounce the headword. For example, 人类 ren2lei4 (mankind) in the OX dictionary.

Depends on the dictionary - it can't do it in dictionaries where we haven't added the actual headword in place of all of the ~s yet.

stephanhodges said:
No TTS audio available (yet?) for some dictionaries: (TL, GF). Will it be added later?

Yes - as with the ~ it's just a matter of proper tagging, TL and GF haven't gotten either yet because we're planning to release new editions of both of them in the near future and don't want to have to add that tagging twice (as it's a rather labor-intensive process).

stephanhodges said:
The user manual states that I can add new entries by cycling through dictionaries until "USR" comes up, at which point I could add a new word.

That's changed since 2.3, which is why the user manual gives you the wrong info. Now you'd want to tap on the "Browse Dictionary Entries" button after having cycled into USR, which gives you a lovely new interface in which you can both add entries and (long-requested feature) batch delete them.

stephanhodges said:
Nor does this work in the reader. I'd like to be able to highlight the word, and then select the user dictionary, etc. Right now, (I have the pop up dictionary window always present at the bottom in landscape mode), it shows the last "known" word, for whatever dictionary was chosen. Once I extend the highlight to something unrecognized in an existing dictionary, the bottom dictionary window doesn't do anything. Cannot select USR dictionary.

Settings / Popup Definition / Unknown Word Handling -> Custom Dict Entry will let you add those words to your user dictionary from the + button.

mfcb said:
any chance for a new beta soon? right now flashcards are pretty unusable. not sure if its just a feeling, but with each card its also getting slower and slower...

If you turn off audio in flashcards that should keep them from slowing down. We're trying not to overwhelm people with betas, but we'll release a new one in a couple of days to sweep up any bug reports since the last one. But I'd appreciate it if you'd try turning off audio and let me know if that does in fact prevent them from slowing down, since that will help us verify that there isn't anything else bugged with flashcards aside from this.

Thanks.

I had forgotten the press and hold for the |-> button. I had done it with repeated taps (to select the entire sentence).

Yesterday, it only read the 1st word. Today, same sentence reads the entire sentence. Go figure :(

Thanks for pointing me to the Popup Definition settings for custom dict.

A small "nit". (If I spell it "gnit", would it sound like a "small bug"? 8) ) If I highlight this entire sentence and press "+", it correctly pops up a dialog to add it to my user dictionary. (I was just testing).
人类——人类是这个星球上最为常见的物种了。
However, the long dashes are showing as square boxes in the Headword slots. The "period" character is showing up as a black triangle with a question mark.

After adding the above, it doesn't recognize it in the reader. I don't know if it's because of the "unknown" characters, or perhaps because of the length of the dictionary "entry". I was just doing this for testing purposes. Right now I don't have any specific need for a long sentence in a dictionary entry, although I could envision it for flashcards based off of the dictionary entry.

When reading whole paragraph, TTS skips over numbers (+3). It does, however, do a nice pause on dashes and commas. I've another product (different machine, however) that DOES read out numbers, fairly intelligently, within Chinese text. It renders them (in almost all cases) with the correct Chinese, rather than individual numerals, etc. Hope that the final TTS product would also do so.

Couple of minor stutters in the audio.

Asus TF101 10" tablet.

Sample paragraph:

人类——人类是这个星球上最为常见的物种了。他们的各项技能平均,所以能从事绝大部分的职业。另外,人类对于其他种族生物的包容力也最大,本作中的修特就属于人类(至少暂时是的),职业设为剑士。序章中出现的那把剑为+3的冰冻长剑,现在暂时还不能认识上面的魔法,随着少年的成长,他会慢慢知道的哦!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
Yesterday, it only read the 1st word. Today, same sentence reads the entire sentence. Go figure

Any chance TTS wasn't actually activated yet?

stephanhodges said:
If I highlight this entire sentence and press "+", it correctly pops up a dialog to add it to my user dictionary. (I was just testing).
人类——人类是这个星球上最为常见的物种了。
However, the long dashes are showing as square boxes in the Headword slots. The "period" character is showing up as a black triangle with a question mark.

Might be a font support thing - are you using a custom Chinese font in Pleco?

stephanhodges said:
When reading whole paragraph, TTS skips over numbers (+3). It does, however, do a nice pause on dashes and commas. I've another product (different machine, however) that DOES read out numbers, fairly intelligently, within Chinese text. It renders them (in almost all cases) with the correct Chinese, rather than individual numerals, etc. Hope that the final TTS product would also do so.

That looks like it might be a glitch on our end, actually, but we'll investigate.

stephanhodges said:
Couple of minor stutters in the audio.

Those we do know about, and have already reported.

ckatt

状元

seems that that half screen handwriting input has taken a performance hit in this release. i haven't tested it extensively but in the first beta it was quite slow to follow my strokes. Then in B2 the performance was much better, and now in b3 on my ASUS tf101 it is almost unusable. i switched back to b2 my phone (HTC one V) because of the audio bug and i never tried it ther with b3 but i expect that it should preform better on the tf101 as it has a superior processor. full screen HW input is fine on the tf101, though over the performance is a bit more sluggish when accessing menus and such. some time it hangs for a few seconds before bringing up a new screen.

santiago

举人

No bugs so far, just praising:
TTS Waaay too cool for the reader and a small "sentence" dictionary I made of my own. I'd vote for a "play/pause" bottom in the reader for TTS so there is no need for pre selecting paragraphs.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3b Bug Report / Feedback Th

Updated to fix the flashcard audio and text selection bugs, see announcement post for 3b.

ckatt said:
seems that that half screen handwriting input has taken a performance hit in this release. i haven't tested it extensively but in the first beta it was quite slow to follow my strokes. Then in B2 the performance was much better, and now in b3 on my ASUS tf101 it is almost unusable. i switched back to b2 my phone (HTC one V) because of the audio bug and i never tried it ther with b3 but i expect that it should preform better on the tf101 as it has a superior processor. full screen HW input is fine on the tf101, though over the performance is a bit more sluggish when accessing menus and such. some time it hangs for a few seconds before bringing up a new screen.

Hmm, we really didn't alter things much on that front - try b3b, maybe the threads left running in the background from failed audio play in flashcards were to blame.

ckatt

状元
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c Bug Report / Feedback Th

mikelove said:
Updated to fix the flashcard audio and text selection bugs, see announcement post for 3b.

ckatt said:

Hmm, we really didn't alter things much on that front - try b3b, maybe the threads left running in the background from failed audio play in flashcards were to blame.

Everything seems to be working fine now, i'm running B3c on both devices and no problems. However the new welcome screen with the links to browse dictionary and show the manual are gone. when i clear the input field the results from the last search are still displayed.

PS
now that we have the new menu and arn't limited to six choices could we get a toggle for night mode in the main menu list? or at least the option to have it there if we wish (a toggle for a toggle if you will). and on the topic of the night mode, its hard to see the edge of the box when using the half screen HW input. In normal mode one is grey and the other white but in night mode they are both black. Come to think of it, it might be nice to have more colour customization for the night mode, then again some days i think i spend more time customizing the application then i do using it to learn Chinese :oops:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
Everything seems to be working fine now, i'm running B3c on both devices and no problems. However the new welcome screen with the links to browse dictionary and show the manual are gone. when i clear the input field the results from the last search are still displayed.

That's actually by design, the "Welcome" screen only shows up if the system has nothing else to display there (start up with no previous search to restore or switch dictionaries with nothing to search for) - it's basically just replacing the old behavior of displaying the contents of the entire dictionary in those cases, because the fact that you can get both in the same list has been a massive source of confusion over the years and handing it over exclusively to search results makes our app much more straightforward to use.

ckatt said:
now that we have the new menu and arn't limited to six choices could we get a toggle for night mode in the main menu list? or at least the option to have it there if we wish (a toggle for a toggle if you will). and on the topic of the night mode, its hard to see the edge of the box when using the half screen HW input. In normal mode one is grey and the other white but in night mode they are both black. Come to think of it, it might be nice to have more colour customization for the night mode, then again some days i think i spend more time customizing the application then i do using it to learn Chinese

Good note on the edge. Night mode customization is certainly doable - we already offer it on iPhone; we were holding off on that until we'd finished the Holo theme transition since it's a bit tricky to juggle. A night mode toggle option might be doable too but a lot of these additional Android feature requests are going to have to wait a little while since we really just want to get this release out ASAP once we've got it stabilized.

mikelove said:
Any chance TTS wasn't actually activated yet?
I had exited and restarted Pleco a couple of times. If it happens again, I'll mention it.

mikelove said:
Might be a font support thing - are you using a custom Chinese font in Pleco?
I don't have any custom fonts installed. As a suggestion, perhaps you could offer a couple of them as downloads on your website and in Pleco's download screen. I'd pay 1 or 2 dollars for a "pretty" font, if it had good support for all characters, etc. :)

I wish there was a way to just package up and send you all the settings with a button press.

I like the other person's suggestion for a pause on the TTS when reading one or more paragraphs (I got it to read several by highlighting multiple paragraphs).

More suggestions along those lines:
After two presses of |=> to hightlight one paragraph, 3rd press to hightlight next paragraph, and 4th for next one, etc.
Able to "loop" on sentence or paragraph. For listening comprehension, it helps to hear multiple times. On my tablet, I can press the audio button easily, but if on a phone, would help to not need to manually take out and press button multiple times.

Any way to tie in large chunks of text with a "new type" of flashcard? More of an "audio flashcard"? (Think 听力 class :shock: )

Tested 3c and it reads the numbers now. Thanks!

It might be my imagination, but I think the reading speed increased a little bit from beta 3a (I didn't install 3b). I hope there will be a way to adjust the speed.

Also, it seems odd that you have to go back to the main dictionary in order to access the "Settings" menu item. Why not put it on the reader menu as well? (Of course, I'm very tablet-centric when I ask that :shock: )

kiraven

举人

Beta 3c is starting on Sony PRS-T1.
But the new Dpad option is not working on my device. I activated it in the reader settings, but pressing the buttons has no effect.

stingmisc

Just try beta 3 and it crashes when running the stroke diagram. Haven't tried it on beta 2. Will do it later on and will report back. Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
I wish there was a way to just package up and send you all the settings with a button press.

Yeah, for support purposes we probably could use that at least, but on Android they're stored in like 4 different places (mix of built-in and Pleco-specific preferences storage systems) so it would actually be a bit of a challenge to gather / package them all.

stephanhodges said:
I like the other person's suggestion for a pause on the TTS when reading one or more paragraphs (I got it to read several by highlighting multiple paragraphs).

We haven't designed around that yet - we will certainly be supporting reading-along in the future, but right now there isn't even a good way to pause it. Reading along in the text is a somewhat TTS-engine-dependent detail so we want to make very sure that the engine we're using now is going to work for everyone before we commit a lot of time to building a read-along system around it.

stephanhodges said:
Able to "loop" on sentence or paragraph. For listening comprehension, it helps to hear multiple times. On my tablet, I can press the audio button easily, but if on a phone, would help to not need to manually take out and press button multiple times.

Maybe a tap-hold of the audio button?

stephanhodges said:
Any way to tie in large chunks of text with a "new type" of flashcard? More of an "audio flashcard"? (Think 听力 class )

Actually if you just make a flashcard from a large selection now (even without Pinyin) it should play TTS audio for it, but this is certainly an area we'd like to improve - a few things have been pushed back by the extremely-slow-but-quite-beautiful font design since that impacts the dictionary reformatting we're working on and thereby the way we store example sentences.

stephanhodges said:
It might be my imagination, but I think the reading speed increased a little bit from beta 3a (I didn't install 3b). I hope there will be a way to adjust the speed.

We could certainly add one, yes.

stephanhodges said:
Also, it seems odd that you have to go back to the main dictionary in order to access the "Settings" menu item. Why not put it on the reader menu as well? (Of course, I'm very tablet-centric when I ask that )

That was about keeping everything into 6 buttons for the sake of pre-Android-4.0 users, but we've already started adding alternate menus for them and we could add one of those here too.

kiraven said:
Beta 3c is starting on Sony PRS-T1.
But the new Dpad option is not working on my device. I activated it in the reader settings, but pressing the buttons has no effect.

That's odd, we're pretty sure that we've implemented the correct button codes... we'll take another look, but it may be that the button codes generated vary in such a way as to make this difficult to detect reliably.

stingmisc said:
Just try beta 3 and it crashes when running the stroke diagram. Haven't tried it on beta 2. Will do it later on and will report back. Thanks

Could you send a crash log? Download the free aLogcat utility from Google Play (or this alternate link), run it (preferably ASAP after the crash), and attach / PM / email me the log output.

I also realized that the quality seemed slightly less with the faster speed (of the TTS). Perhaps some change in buffering or compression, etc. is causing the slight speedup along with a change in the quality? It was the same paragraph as I've listed before. Some of the words were more "mushy" or garbled. I'd vote for maximum clarity on tablet, since there's lots of memory and processor, if that's an issue.

mfcb

状元

i still get no audio over BT in flashcards for about 50% of the cards... was it supposed to be fixed in beta 3c?

also definitely pleco spends a lot more time after i press the "reveal entire card" button until it switches to "mark correct/incorrect"... using night mode, before the blue color of the pressed button was nearly never visible, now its there for a whole second or so...

ckatt

状元

found a bug in the multiple choice flashcard test settings. the card categories option cannot be changed from "all Catagories" no mater what the "Choices from" option is set two.
also, sometimes i have trouble exiting from the flash cards when i have launched it with the flashcard short cut. pressing the back button a few times causes the screen to blink white for a bit and then maybe take me to the home screen or maybe take me back to the flash cards settings screen.

kiraven

举人

That's odd, we're pretty sure that we've implemented the correct button codes... we'll take another look, but it may be that the button codes generated vary in such a way as to make this difficult to detect reliably.
can I provide any additional information or somehow test if there is something "wrong" on my device?