Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lots more bug fixes this time, hopefully those of you who couldn't run the beta before will now be able to thanks to our reversion to ARMv5.

With crashing bugs, please download the free aLogcat utility from Google Play (or this alternate link), run it (preferably ASAP after the crash), and attach / PM / email us the log output.

mfcb

状元
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

upgraded to beta 3, bought text to speech addon, activated and downloaded... since then pleco crashes on start

alogcat in PM's

mfcb

状元

fresh install of beta 3 did not help, currently i am back on beta 2 (works)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3a Bug Report / Feedback Th

mfcb said:
fresh install of beta 3 did not help, currently i am back on beta 2 (works)

Sorry about that - muck-up with proguard which has now been fixed in Beta 3a.

ckatt

状元

i haven't tried the new tts but i'm having audio problems of my own. i'm not hearing anything when i tap the play audio button. i killed pleco in the task manager and tried again now the audio seems to work.
Looks like its flash card related. audio played fine on flash card reveal but not when the audio button is tapped, and after doing so it does not play on reveal any more nor does it work in the dictionary.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
i haven't tried the new tts but i'm having audio problems of my own. i'm not hearing anything when i tap the play audio button. i killed pleco in the task manager and tried again now the audio seems to work.
Looks like its flash card related. audio played fine on flash card reveal but not when the audio button is tapped, and after doing so it does not play on reveal any more nor does it work in the dictionary.

That's odd, the TTS-related changes to audio playback were actually all in Beta 2 as well - are these very short audio recordings by any chance? Could be that something with our new Bluetooth headset fix screwed things up. Could you (unsuccessfully) play some audio and then send me your aLogcat log? (there might be an audio playback related error message in there that tells us something)

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:

That's odd, the TTS-related changes to audio playback were actually all in Beta 2 as well - are these very short audio recordings by any chance? Could be that something with our new Bluetooth headset fix screwed things up. Could you (unsuccessfully) play some audio and then send me your aLogcat log? (there might be an audio playback related error message in there that tells us something)
Ok here it is I hope it helps. I did some further testing and it seem it only start in the flash cards. It will only play once in the flash cards when a card is first reviled. After that it won't play on following cards and it won't play if the button is tapped. If I don't use the flash card them the audio always plays fine.

Attachments

• alogcat.2012-10-11-16-14-35+0800.txt
    59.5 KB · Views: 629

Yiliya

榜眼

Would you consider simply letting users use whatever TTS they have installed in their system in Pleco? There are several Mandarin (and also Cantonese!) TTS available on the market, the one you're using is probably not the best one, especially since it's still in beta. Or will it stop you from making money? :roll: I don't care either way, but it'd be nice if you give us an honest answer.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
Ok here it is I hope it helps. I did some further testing and it seem it only start in the flash cards. It will only play once in the flash cards when a card is first reviled. After that it won't play on following cards and it won't play if the button is tapped. If I don't use the flash card them the audio always plays fine.

Hmm, nothing in the log to explain this but we'll see if we can reproduce it here anyway. Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yiliya said:
Would you consider simply letting users use whatever TTS they have installed in their system in Pleco? There are several Mandarin (and also Cantonese!) TTS available on the market, the one you're using is probably not the best one, especially since it's still in beta. Or will it stop you from making money? :roll: I don't care either way, but it'd be nice if you give us an honest answer.

Not a greed thing, honestly we just didn't think many of our customers would bother downloading a separate system - we aren't making much money on a $5 licensed TTS, it's mostly a dictionary enhancer. But if these are popular we can certainly add an option, we already tap into the Android TTS system to play audio for English headwords (try it).

Yiliya

榜眼

mikelove said:
Yiliya said:

Not a greed thing, honestly we just didn't think many of our customers would bother downloading a separate system - we aren't making much money on a $5 licensed TTS, it's mostly a dictionary enhancer. But if these are popular we can certainly add an option, we already tap into the Android TTS system to play audio for English headwords (try it).
Then would you please add an option in the next build? I have a nice Mandarin TTS that I'm already using in several apps, and I'd like to be able to use it in Pleco as well, just for the sake of consistency, if anything else. And as I already mentioned, this will give Cantonese learners an ability to use a Cantonese TTS in Pleco to help them master the pronunciation of this arguably more difficult variety of spoken Chinese.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yiliya said:
Then would you please add an option in the next build? I have a nice Mandarin TTS that I'm already using in several apps, and I'd like to be able to use it in Pleco as well, just for the sake of consistency, if anything else. And as I already mentioned, this will give Cantonese learners an ability to use a Cantonese TTS in Pleco to help them master the pronunciation of this arguably more difficult variety of spoken Chinese.

It might have to wait until another new-feature update, since we've got a whole lot of other things we're working on (including dictionary updates, which you'll no doubt appreciate given your earlier complaints about incorrect fanti) and it actually does require a good bit of new code / testing to hook into our speech system - we wanted to get our TTS into this beta because we're also planning to use the same library on iOS (which doesn't have any sort of app-invokable system TTS) and need to know ASAP if there are going to be any major complaints about it, but if you look at the new feature list you'll see that pretty much everything else is related to correcting complaints / design issues newly introduced in 2.4.0b1/2.

mnanon

秀才

Thank you for putting out the TTS.

It is a great addition and Pleco has managed to integrated it nicely with the dictionaries, however I encounter sometimes minimal stuttering.

Is there a function where a typed out/scanned Chinese sentence is converted to pinyin and later read out via TTS?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

mnanon said:
Thank you for putting out the TTS.

You're very welcome! Glad you like it!

mnanon said:
It is a great addition and Pleco has managed to integrated it nicely with the dictionaries, however I encounter sometimes minimal stuttering.

That's one of the main "beta" issues - however, if they can't fix it in their own code we can fix it on our end if we add a little extra delay before playback.

mnanon said:
Is there a function where a typed out/scanned Chinese sentence is converted to pinyin and later read out via TTS?

The TTS system lets us feed it Pinyin, but that feature seems to be bugged at the moment (which is why you'll occasionally hear it not match the Pinyin for the example sentence that it's reading), so for now it's just reading characters.

ckatt

状元

Run into another problem with the flash cards today. After uninstalling and reinstalling the new beta I still have the same audio problem. But after the audio wouldn't play o went back to the home screen the launched the flashcards again. The menu came up but when I hit start the test would not begin and it just stick on a loading message.

Attachments

• alogcat.2012-10-12-16-12-55+0800.txt
    64.2 KB · Views: 814

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:

Hmm, nothing in the log to explain this but we'll see if we can reproduce it here anyway. Thanks.

had a chance to test the new beta on my ASUS tf101 today and i have the same problem there. one audio play in the flash cards and then no more anywhere in Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
had a chance to test the new beta on my ASUS tf101 today and i have the same problem there. one audio play in the flash cards and then no more anywhere in Pleco.

Reproduced and fixed - bug in our code for inserting silence at the end of audio in order to keep fussy Bluetooth headsets happy had the potential to make the system play *9 hours* of silence, tying up the audio playback thread.

I purchased the audio TTS add-on. Will you be enabling it to read full highlighted sentences in the reader? That's where I would anticipate using it the most.

For TTS system, for definitions that have a tilde marking the position of the headword, the audio doesn't pronounce the headword. For example, 人类 ren2lei4 (mankind) in the OX dictionary.

No TTS audio available (yet?) for some dictionaries: (TL, GF). Will it be added later?

The user manual states that I can add new entries by cycling through dictionaries until "USR" comes up, at which point I could add a new word.

This doesn't work when seaching for a new phrase (see below).

Nor does this work in the reader. I'd like to be able to highlight the word, and then select the user dictionary, etc. Right now, (I have the pop up dictionary window always present at the bottom in landscape mode), it shows the last "known" word, for whatever dictionary was chosen. Once I extend the highlight to something unrecognized in an existing dictionary, the bottom dictionary window doesn't do anything. Cannot select USR dictionary.

I realize this is probably just how it is, not actually a "bug" in the sense of something you wrote but doesn't work correctly. Right now, I think the only way to get something from the reader into a user dictionary is to:
  • - highlight the new word/phrase
    - copy to clipboard
    - Switch back to dictionary
    - Switch to Flashcards
    - Organize Cards (to add a new card)
    - Tap "New Card"
    - Paste value into headwords, add pinyin, definitions, etc.
    - Select the flashcard
    - Convert flashcard to user dictionary entry.
    - Find it (if you didn't assign a category -- check uncategorized at the very end!)
    - short tap it to bring up edit/convert menu
    - Convert to a user dictionary entry. (What happens if you have multiple user dictionaries?)
What doesn't work is

• - copy to clipboard
    - Click the "Search" icon (which will copy the entire phrase into the dictionary search box).
    - ** Cycling through dictionaries does not bring up "USR" dictionary :(

Obviously, I'd like the "shorter" approach! :)