Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 3c Bug Report / Feedback Th

stephanhodges said:
I also realized that the quality seemed slightly less with the faster speed (of the TTS). Perhaps some change in buffering or compression, etc. is causing the slight speedup along with a change in the quality? It was the same paragraph as I've listed before. Some of the words were more "mushy" or garbled. I'd vote for maximum clarity on tablet, since there's lots of memory and processor, if that's an issue.

We didn't really change anything in the latest beta in that regard, so I have no idea why that would be happening - we've got a bug report in on the general stuttering issues, though.

alex_hk90 said:
I just wanted to say thank you for fixing the bug I had relating to it getting stuck on a dictionary group (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3355&start=30#p27265). It now works perfectly in Beta 3c. :D

Great! Let me know if you see any more of that, it's a tricky part of the code in general.

mfcb said:
i still get no audio over BT in flashcards for about 50% of the cards... was it supposed to be fixed in beta 3c?

It definitely should have been, yes. Does this appear to be tied to the word on the card (same words each time) or is it more random?

mfcb said:
also definitely pleco spends a lot more time after i press the "reveal entire card" button until it switches to "mark correct/incorrect"... using night mode, before the blue color of the pressed button was nearly never visible, now its there for a whole second or so...

Is it triggered to play audio when you do that?

ckatt said:
found a bug in the multiple choice flashcard test settings. the card categories option cannot be changed from "all Catagories" no mater what the "Choices from" option is set two.
also, sometimes i have trouble exiting from the flash cards when i have launched it with the flashcard short cut. pressing the back button a few times causes the screen to blink white for a bit and then maybe take me to the home screen or maybe take me back to the flash cards settings screen.

If you go back into that screen after changing the categories and saving your changes, does it show the correct ones, or has that been reset too?

Not sure about the shortcut exit trouble but we'll do some tests - perhaps it launched multiple copies of the same flashcard session somewhere.

kiraven said:
can I provide any additional information or somehow test if there is something "wrong" on my device?

Not sure - there might be a utility on Google Play that will display which key you're pressing for debugging purposes, but otherwise we'd need to add something to log it ourselves. If we have time before the finished 2.4 update we'll try adding that log function to another beta.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
found a bug in the multiple choice flashcard test settings. the card categories option cannot be changed from "all Catagories" no mater what the "Choices from" option is set two.
also, sometimes i have trouble exiting from the flash cards when i have launched it with the flashcard short cut. pressing the back button a few times causes the screen to blink white for a bit and then maybe take me to the home screen or maybe take me back to the flash cards settings screen.

If you go back into that screen after changing the categories and saving your changes, does it show the correct ones, or has that been reset too?

no i can't change it at all, its stuck on all categories

What i gather from the manual is that the Card categories choice option should only appear if Custom categories is selected in the Choices from option. but it is always displayed even i have it set to all cards or session categories. yet taping it with any of the possible configurations yields no result.
this same bug is also present on 2.3.14

witch beta 3c i have some kind of "glitches" when using the hand write recognition. when switch between landscape and portrait and then switching to hand write recognition, the screen, or some parts of it turn black for just a fraction of a second.

also found a bug in the flashcard settings, that allows "cheating" during test-sessions ;)
in the 2.3 version, when you hit the pronunciation button a few times consecutively, pleco actually started to play the pronunciation several times at the same time. now in 2.4 the playback seems to be queued, so if i hit the button 20 times, pleco will play it 20 times, and there is no way to stop it (which is a bit annoying, but then again if your pressing the button 20 times, you could as well thank yourself for being that stupid :p ). now if i hit it lets say 10 times and then quickly switch to the next flashcard, the voice will then read the new flashcards pinyin, even if the card is not revealed yet.

dont know if its a bug or generally a limitation on android (i didnt try this in 2.3), but on IOS i could select any given word in a search result (even english words in a search result for chinese characters) and then copy or search for it. thats not possible on android, or at least not in 2.4 beta 3c.

else then that, the 3c version seems to work very well on my galaxy nexus, i also like the new IMO cleaner look and feel. good work!

mfcb

状元

mikelove said:
mfcb said:
i still get no audio over BT in flashcards for about 50% of the cards... was it supposed to be fixed in beta 3c?

It definitely should have been, yes. Does this appear to be tied to the word on the card (same words each time) or is it more random?

mfcb said:
also definitely pleco spends a lot more time after i press the "reveal entire card" button until it switches to "mark correct/incorrect"... using night mode, before the blue color of the pressed button was nearly never visible, now its there for a whole second or so...

Is it triggered to play audio when you do that?
yes, reveal card triggers audio, but before i never saw the delay i see now.

also, now the cards not playing BT audio seem to be random, and when i press the audio button again and again it crashes (maybe ralated to play audio 3 times setting?). alogcat in PM. same card that had no BT audio in flashcard has it next start of pleco...

stephantm

I purchased the experimental text-to-speech system. The in-app download appears to have been successful but installation failed. Could your provide a manual download link like with the other add-ons? Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
no i can't change it at all, its stuck on all categories

What i gather from the manual is that the Card categories choice option should only appear if Custom categories is selected in the Choices from option. but it is always displayed even i have it set to all cards or session categories. yet taping it with any of the possible configurations yields no result.
this same bug is also present on 2.3.14

That part of the manual actually needs to be updated, I think - we're generally disabling options now rather than removing them altogether. But anyway we should have no problem fixing this for the next beta, thanks!

soulspirit said:
witch beta 3c i have some kind of "glitches" when using the hand write recognition. when switch between landscape and portrait and then switching to hand write recognition, the screen, or some parts of it turn black for just a fraction of a second.

That's odd - did you not experience those with the old version?

soulspirit said:
also found a bug in the flashcard settings, that allows "cheating" during test-sessions
in the 2.3 version, when you hit the pronunciation button a few times consecutively, pleco actually started to play the pronunciation several times at the same time. now in 2.4 the playback seems to be queued, so if i hit the button 20 times, pleco will play it 20 times, and there is no way to stop it (which is a bit annoying, but then again if your pressing the button 20 times, you could as well thank yourself for being that stupid ). now if i hit it lets say 10 times and then quickly switch to the next flashcard, the voice will then read the new flashcards pinyin, even if the card is not revealed yet.

Hmm, the seemingly minor changes to facilitate TTS support and correct the earlier Bluetooth problems appear to be having more major consequences... thanks!

soulspirit said:
dont know if its a bug or generally a limitation on android (i didnt try this in 2.3), but on IOS i could select any given word in a search result (even english words in a search result for chinese characters) and then copy or search for it. thats not possible on android, or at least not in 2.4 beta 3c.

You mean tap-hold text selection? That doesn't work very well on Android in general and we haven't been able to get it working at a satisfying level in our app yet - there's a menu command to copy out the entire entry to the clipboard, though, and tap-hold menu commands in search results to copy out just the headword / definition / etc.

soulspirit said:
else then that, the 3c version seems to work very well on my galaxy nexus, i also like the new IMO cleaner look and feel. good work!

Great, thank you!

mfcb said:
also, now the cards not playing BT audio seem to be random, and when i press the audio button again and again it crashes (maybe ralated to play audio 3 times setting?). alogcat in PM. same card that had no BT audio in flashcard has it next start of pleco...

Must be some other sort of instability, then, our fix for the last crash was tiny enough that it couldn't possibly have caused this on its own... thanks!

stephantm said:
I purchased the experimental text-to-speech system. The in-app download appears to have been successful but installation failed. Could your provide a manual download link like with the other add-ons? Thanks

Sure:

http://cdn.pleco.com/androidpackages/pa2ttsaca-120926.zip

HW60

状元

I would like to test and switch to Pleco 2.4.0, but sometimes I still need Pleco for WM. My question: Are the flashcard db and the user dictionaries of Pleco 2.4.0 compatibel with Pleco for WM?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

HW60 said:
I would like to test and switch to Pleco 2.4.0, but sometimes I still need Pleco for WM. My question: Are the flashcard db and the user dictionaries of Pleco 2.4.0 compatibel with Pleco for WM?

You can migrate them from WM to Android but you can't reliably migrate them back since they use a newer data format (and update the databases when you load / import them); I believe it would still mostly work if you moved from Android to WM, but you definitely wouldn't want to move those same databases from WM to Android again since the WM version wouldn't update all of the indexes like it's supposed to.

mfcb

状元

maybe there is something seriously wrong on MY system, as nobody else reported this.

before i thought its just in BT audio (flash cards) but this happens also without a headset, when i start a flashcard session, reveal the first card and then press the play audio button 13,14 times pleco crashes (and at least once the phone rebootet)...
13 times it is when i give it time to finish playing the audio, if i press the button more quickly, its about to crash after 7-10 times...

reproducable (at least on my phone), so i can provide a logcat if you cant reproduce

HW60

状元

About every 2 weeks I create a new user dictionary:

I copy the flashcards db from Android to WM,
(1) export all flashcards in WM (one per card, not per category),
(2) load the export file into a user dictionary, and
(3) copy the user dictionary to Android and use it there.

The flashcards of Android will not be changed during the process (maybe in WM, but that does not matter), but the by Android 2.4.0 modified flashcards need steps (1) + (2) in WM, and the new WM user dictionary should work in Android (3). The old user dictionary in Android will be discarded. Any problems? (I will not use WM any longer as soon as (1) - (3) work in Android, also with flashcards with a "@" in first place of pronunciation)

ckatt

状元

Pleco is not launching properly from the main icon or the shortcut to dict icon. when i tap either icon to launch the screen blinks white for a moment and then returns to the home screen. A second tap on the icon launches pleco fine and will continue to work for a while but if i do something else on my phone ad then go back to pleco from the blue icon it happens again. it doesn't seem to be a problem for the other icons just the dictionary one.

wibr

进士

mfcb said:
before i thought its just in BT audio (flash cards) but this happens also without a headset, when i start a flashcard session, reveal the first card and then press the play audio button 13,14 times pleco crashes (and at least once the phone rebootet)...
13 times it is when i give it time to finish playing the audio, if i press the button more quickly, its about to crash after 7-10 times...

reproducable (at least on my phone), so i can provide a logcat if you cant reproduce

I can reproduce it (Gnex stock 4.1), also happens if I reach the 15th flashcard and sound was played 14 times (after revealing of each flashcard, wrote Mike an email about this)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

mfcb said:

We'll see if we can reproduce it here and let you know if not, thanks.

HW60 said:
The flashcards of Android will not be changed during the process (maybe in WM, but that does not matter), but the by Android 2.4.0 modified flashcards need steps (1) + (2) in WM, and the new WM user dictionary should work in Android (3). The old user dictionary in Android will be discarded. Any problems?

Nothing leaps out at me, but I can't make any guarantees since this is not something we've ever actually tested.

HW60 said:
(I will not use WM any longer as soon as (1) - (3) work in Android, also with flashcards with a "@" in first place of pronunciation)

Have you checked this recently? I believe both of those issues should be fixed in 2.4.

ckatt said:
Pleco is not launching properly from the main icon or the shortcut to dict icon. when i tap either icon to launch the screen blinks white for a moment and then returns to the home screen. A second tap on the icon launches pleco fine and will continue to work for a while but if i do something else on my phone ad then go back to pleco from the blue icon it happens again. it doesn't seem to be a problem for the other icons just the dictionary one.

Could you send a crash log (run aLogcat immediately after the crash and send us the results)?

leynux

举人

Good day,

I just try this version today, it's good to know that there is a huge update for this software.

I"m currently upgrade my android to samsung galaxy Note 10.1, with S-Pen and Multiscreen is very fun.
Is it possible for next release to include support for Multiscreen feature, so I can read chinese txt while memorizing new word with s-pen writing.?

tq.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

leynux said:
I"m currently upgrade my android to samsung galaxy Note 10.1, with S-Pen and Multiscreen is very fun.
Is it possible for next release to include support for Multiscreen feature, so I can read chinese txt while memorizing new word with s-pen writing.?

Probably not for a while - features like that are rarely supported by enough devices to justify them, though if Samsung eventually rolls out S-Pen in all of their devices that might make it easier.

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
The flashcards of Android will not be changed during the process (maybe in WM, but that does not matter), but the by Android 2.4.0 modified flashcards need steps (1) + (2) in WM, and the new WM user dictionary should work in Android (3). The old user dictionary in Android will be discarded. Any problems?

Nothing leaps out at me, but I can't make any guarantees since this is not something we've ever actually tested.

HW60 said:
(I will not use WM any longer as soon as (1) - (3) work in Android, also with flashcards with a "@" in first place of pronunciation)

Have you checked this recently? I believe both of those issues should be fixed in 2.4.

I installed 2.4.0 3c, made a copy of my flashcards for WM and exported all flashcards (without category information) in WM and Android: 13,011 flashcards in Android, 12,788 in WM, 435 duplicate cards in both due to same headword, but different pronunciation. I imported the exported file in a new user dictionary in Android: no hiragana/katakana/kanji informations in pronunciation are imported, if pronunciation starts with @, so there are no hiragana/katakana in the japanese entries of my Android user dictionary (with the user dictionary created in WM those informations are hidden sometimes, but do not vanish, as long as I do not try to change an entry).

I remember you said that duplicates search would be changed to prevent those unnecessary duplicates: does it work already with some settings?

What kind of changes will be made to the flashcard file in Android, and when does that happen? As long as I can make my user dictionary in WM I have no big problems. I probably would go back to Android 2.3.14 if the Android flashcard db could not be used to export entries in WM and create a user dictionary there.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

HW60 said:
I installed 2.4.0 3c, made a copy of my flashcards for WM and exported all flashcards (without category information) in WM and Android: 13,011 flashcards in Android, 12,788 in WM, 435 duplicate cards in both due to same headword, but different pronunciation. I imported the exported file in a new user dictionary in Android: no hiragana/katakana/kanji informations in pronunciation are imported, if pronunciation starts with @, so there are no hiragana/katakana in the japanese entries of my Android user dictionary (with the user dictionary created in WM those informations are hidden sometimes, but do not vanish, as long as I do not try to change an entry).

Hmm, well if it still isn't fixed then I'm not sure what's happening there - we'll investigate for the next beta, thanks.

HW60 said:
I remember you said that duplicates search would be changed to prevent those unnecessary duplicates: does it work already with some settings?

No, we haven't added support for alternate languages to duplicate search yet and with all of the other changes planned for the flashcard / user dictionary database systems in 2013 I don't think we're going to start messing with those at this point - pronunciation in all likelihood will now be a Mandarin-specific field and you'll have to create / use separate custom fields for stuff like this. (not sure yet if we'll provide an in-app migration option or just instruct people on how to go about fixing this in an export / reimport - we'll probably just keep supporting the @ in the Mandarin field for a while)

HW60

状元

In flashcards with "allow dict switching" there is a border at the right side with a strange symbol in the lower part, changing to the user dictionary name when touching the symbol.

What does the setting "Filter head in definitions" mean?

Attachments

• 2012-10-24_23-28-00.png
    2012-10-24_23-28-00.png
    55 KB · Views: 1,305
  • 2012-10-24_23-28-28.png
    2012-10-24_23-28-28.png
    49 KB · Views: 1,290

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
No, we haven't added support for alternate languages to duplicate search yet and with all of the other changes planned for the flashcard / user dictionary database systems in 2013 I don't think we're going to start messing with those at this point - pronunciation in all likelihood will now be a Mandarin-specific field and you'll have to create / use separate custom fields for stuff like this. (not sure yet if we'll provide an in-app migration option or just instruct people on how to go about fixing this in an export / reimport - we'll probably just keep supporting the @ in the Mandarin field for a while)
I think I found a solution for creating user dictionaries with Pleco: The new export function of Android seems to be OK - the missing cards were in WM. With the export file of Android I can import in a user dictionary with WM, because WM keeps the pronunciation information, even if this information is made of Kana or Kanji, while Android destroys the data.

I still think that it is a pity that Androd Pleco cannot deal with Kana/Kanji in pronunciation, expecially as the treatment of Kana is completely different in different situations:
(1) Organize (Flash)Cards is OK: Kana is visible
(2) Review Flashcards is OK
(3) Search Headwords is OK
(5) Search Pronunciation is not OK (all cards are displayed; OK in WM)
(5) Import Flashcards is OK
(6) User Dictionary (UD): no display of Kana in Main Screen
(7) UD: no display of Kana in Entire Entry
(8) UD: Edit Entry is OK (@ in first place is invisible)
But this one is really dangerous: if you tap Edit Entry and try to exit, than the question "Exit without saving?" comes up. you have to tap yes to keep the data, using "Save" destroys the pronunciation information even without any change
(9) Import Cards in UD: not OK

So the information is there (in flashcards and UD), is visible in some situations, but not in others. Especially (6) and/or (7) would help a lot: if I want to see the pronunciation of a UD Entry, then in the Main Screen I have to tap on the entry, tap on Edit Entry, (see the pronunciation), tap Cancel, tap Yes for exit without changes, and tap return to go back to the Main Screen

ckatt

状元

ckatt said:
here the long file and another one that i made after an unrelated crash i think it had something to do with switching input methods.

Attachments

• alogcat.2012-10-24-15-36-29+0800.txt
    87.1 KB · Views: 967
  • alogcat.2012-10-24-13-02-26+0800.txt
    71.6 KB · Views: 737