New Version Screenshot Thread

scykei

榜眼
Sliding might not be bad as long as it doesn't get too extreme. I never liked apps that go overboard with it, especially the Reddit client app, Alien Blue. I might have said this somewhere before but I'm not sure.

Maybe this new Pleco handles sliding mechanics much better than everything I've ever used. I wouldn't know until I have tried it for myself.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
Sliding might not be bad as long as it doesn't get too extreme. I never liked apps that go overboard with it, especially the Reddit client app, Alien Blue. I might have said this somewhere before but I'm not sure.

I agree with you completely on Alien Blue, but "sliding" in that message was actually about the position of the three-vertical-lines button, which (as you can see from the screenshots) is at the top left corner of the screen on the main page but is shifted over a bit to appear to the right of the back button on the definition page.

As far as swipe gestures in Pleco, we *may* enable access to the sidebar by a swipe, but that would be it, and it would be optional / not essential to the UI.

alanmd

探花
I looked at Youtube, Facebook, and Weebly. All 3 lose the 3-bar button when the back button is on-screen. I think the way Mike has done it is the best way of keeping the 3-bar button on-screen while the back button stays consistent to other apps.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Here's another one, slightly more specialized (not much new UI) but a very exciting feature for some:

newappshot3.png

The toolbar design is temporary - that'll probably be the very last thing we put in, more-or-less, since we want to see what iOS 7 looks like at WWDC (scored a ticket, yay!) before we finalize it.

Tones can use regular numbers instead of superscripts if you prefer. Search is Jyutping only, but we do also support Yale for display. We might add Yale search support in a later update, but the extra 'h's for 4th/5th/6th tone make it a bit more complicated; even if we use tone numbers we'd need to allow for those optional 'h's or people would get confused. Other romanization systems we'll consider on request - seems like Cantonese Pinyin is probably the 3rd most popular.

Switching-wise, Cantonese is selected by our new "dictionary group" system - basically think of these like "meta-dictionaries" that search multiple dictionaries and aggregate the results in a single list; CAN is just an example of one of those that's been configured to perform its search in Cantonese instead of Mandarin. So if you enter a string that only makes sense in Cantonese, you'll end up switched to it automatically, while if you enter a string that also makes sense in Mandarin you'd get to Cantonese by simply tapping on the dictionary switch button a few times.

Tezuk

举人
Fantastic! Can't wait for the Canto updates.

With the dictionary group system, are we able to make our own groups too? Perhaps a Classical dictionary group or medical group etc?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, absolutely - the idea with groups is to let you get down to a minimal set of Things To Switch Between so that you can meet all of your needs through that one button. (you might notice we also got rid of the language switch button - can be brought back, but by default if you need to manually switch languages you'd do it by tapping on the dictionary switch button until you get to an English dictionary group)

yoose

探花
Here's another one, slightly more specialized (not much new UI) but a very exciting feature for some:

The toolbar design is temporary - that'll probably be the very last thing we put in, more-or-less, since we want to see what iOS 7 looks like at WWDC (scored a ticket, yay!) before we finalize it.

Tones can use regular numbers instead of superscripts if you prefer. Search is Jyutping only, but we do also support Yale for display. We might add Yale search support in a later update, but the extra 'h's for 4th/5th/6th tone make it a bit more complicated; even if we use tone numbers we'd need to allow for those optional 'h's or people would get confused. Other romanization systems we'll consider on request - seems like Cantonese Pinyin is probably the 3rd most popular.

Switching-wise, Cantonese is selected by our new "dictionary group" system - basically think of these like "meta-dictionaries" that search multiple dictionaries and aggregate the results in a single list; CAN is just an example of one of those that's been configured to perform its search in Cantonese instead of Mandarin. So if you enter a string that only makes sense in Cantonese, you'll end up switched to it automatically, while if you enter a string that also makes sense in Mandarin you'd get to Cantonese by simply tapping on the dictionary switch button a few times.

cantonese search! that’s awesome and will come in very handy. I cant wait for it to come out. id also be happy to help if you need some testers :)

Bendy-Ren

举人
About taking off the color-differentiated buttons to change dictionaries—I agree that it's something not many people will miss; however, I think there is also an opportunity here to improve ease of use.

Since one word will now display results from multiple dictionaries in one entry, it may be confusing for a new user when the same or very similar definitions appear two or three times for a single word, divided only by a cryptic "PLC" or "ABC" label. Why not put a colored divider between each entry, with a different color based on which dictionary the result is coming from? And/or color the "PLC" and "ABC" labels themselves?

Maybe it's just me, but I find colors much easier to remember, and more effective for differentiating choices, than the little acronyms we have now

Edit: I also want to say, I really like the UI direction the new version is taking. Looks really good!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Since one word will now display results from multiple dictionaries in one entry, it may be confusing for a new user when the same or very similar definitions appear two or three times for a single word, divided only by a cryptic "PLC" or "ABC" label. Why not put a colored divider between each entry, with a different color based on which dictionary the result is coming from? And/or color the "PLC" and "ABC" labels themselves?

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest, though, I don't really like this aesthetics-wise; we're going for a very clean / minimal look, and lots of extra colors tend to make things look more complicated / busy - if anything it seems like they would add to new users' confusion, since they won't necessarily see the relationship between colors and abbreviation icons right away.

So this would have to be an off-by-default option, and the threshold for those has gotten pretty high - we might do it if we get a lot of requests / complaints about the disappearance of colored dictionary icons, but my inclination would be to skip it initially and wait to see if there's a lot of demand for it.

(actually, if it weren't likely to provoke mass outage we'd probably disable tone coloring by default in the new update too, for the same reasons - we would certainly keep that one an option, but we think it does more harm than good for a lot of new users)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Here's one running on iOS 7.

The tab bar design is still being tweaked - feels too "heavy" now - and we're still waiting for the bold version of our new Chinese font so that we can highlight the headword in the character portions of examples along with the Pinyin portions.

The other tabs are stroke order, related characters (component breakdowns for single characters, a breakdown of individual characters for multi-character words), related words (synonyms / antonyms / words containing), and related examples (searches for examples containing the word in all entries, not just the entries for that word).

os7screen.png

yoose

探花
Here's one running on iOS 7.

The tab bar design is still being tweaked - feels too "heavy" now - and we're still waiting for the bold version of our new Chinese font so that we can highlight the headword in the character portions of examples along with the Pinyin portions.

The other tabs are stroke order, related characters (component breakdowns for single characters, a breakdown of individual characters for multi-character words), related words (synonyms / antonyms / words containing), and related examples (searches for examples containing the word in all entries, not just the entries for that word).

View attachment 903

hi Mike, overall the new UI looks great. Concerning the tab bar design I agree that it feels heavy and takes up a lot space for something that is not always used. Would it work if it was placed above the headword as revealed only when the user pulls down? or perhaps it can be revealed when the user taps a character, similar to how it is currently done. If you prefer not to have that as the default is it possible to have it as an option?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
hi Mike, overall the new UI looks great. Concerning the tab bar design I agree that it feels heavy and takes up a lot space for something that is not always used. Would it work if it was placed above the headword as revealed only when the user pulls down? or perhaps it can be revealed when the user taps a character, similar to how it is currently done. If you prefer not to have that as the default is it possible to have it as an option?

Thanks!

Actually I was talking only about the design of it, not the fact of having the bar at all - I'm pretty happy with that. The current Character Info screen is not very discoverable - this is useful information that we would like to make easier to find / get at. In fact I'd go so far as to say that for a lot of people the ability to access single characters from a multi-character word or compounds / stroke order from a single character is nearly as important as the ability to view the original dictionary entries.

And since it scrolls away along with the header (at the moment at least) I don't really view it as that big a burden space-wise - there are very few words for which that bit of space would make a difference, either it's rare enough that it only gets a one-sentence definition or it's common enough that it gets several pages of notes and examples to scroll through. We get very few complaints about this on Android in spite that the tabs are permanently at the top of the screen there.

Information-design-wise, it feels to me like this is a really logical way to do this because all of the information is related to the word in the header - here's the word that this page is going to tell you about, here are all of the things that it can tell you about it, pick one. A bar on the top (be it in the toolbar or scrolled out of the way) doesn't do that - it implies that everything below it will change if you tap on a different section. Likewise a bar on the bottom which at least on iOS implies that everything above it will change.

As for making it optional, we'll be happy to consider that if we get a lot of complaints about it in the finished app (wouldn't be difficult to make it hidden on top, as you suggest), or maybe even in the beta test, but we've got so many options already that I'm disinclined to add a new one to disable a feature that nobody outside of Pleco has even tried yet. But we certainly don't want to force people into a new UI they don't like.

character

状元
I do like the look overall. Now I'm going to nitpick most aspects of it. ;)

The bar does feel heavy, given iOS 7's look. Perhaps remove the rounded rect and the separating lines as a start? I think the stroke order back tick :) isn't the best icon. One thought is to replace the bar with a More button which shows a menu of choices with more descriptive text. People generally aren't going to whip from one of those choices to another, so getting to each one doesn't have to be as fast as possible.

I'm a little confused as to the +PLC -- is that some reference to combined search results?

I think it's great you have Zhuyin fuhao available but I'm guessing the majority won't use it, so can the display of it be turned off?

I would prefer the brackets around the (in this case) traditional were replaced with a single separating slash and spacing so one could see the characters without other symbols nearby:

几乎 / 幾乎

IMO the brackets crowd the characters, making them harder to read.

The bars next to the example sentences seem unnecessary; indentation does the job of setting them off from the definition. The bars also make the page look heavier than it needs to.

Can't wait to use the new version of Pleco!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback.

The bar does feel heavy, given iOS 7's look. Perhaps remove the rounded rect and the separating lines as a start? I think the stroke order back tick :) isn't the best icon. One thought is to replace the bar with a More button which shows a menu of choices with more descriptive text. People generally aren't going to whip from one of those choices to another, so getting to each one doesn't have to be as fast as possible.

Removing the border makes sense (or at least the end caps), but I'm worried that if we just have text and nothing else (as was actually the case in an earlier design) it won't be sufficiently obvious that these are tappable. The tick mark isn't great - I like the double metaphor (each tab is also an example of the thing it describes, except for the first one) but perhaps we'd be better off just doing it all in English.

As far as a "More" button, I actually feel like people are quite likely to want to flip between multiple tabs - between compound words, extra examples, and character decompositions I daresay many Pleco users will find themselves flipping back and forth on almost every entry. We had an earlier design with two tabs at the top (in the navigation bar) - a "dict" and an "info" tab, with the added information from the other four tabs under that "info" section - but I find myself liking this version better since "dict" and "info" seemed like arbitrary distinctions and (as I said above) when you change something in the top bar you generally expect it to affect everything below it.

I'm a little confused as to the +PLC -- is that some reference to combined search results?

Actually it's how you pick a specific dictionary's entry to create a flashcard from (flashcards remain one-dictionary-at-a-time for brevity's sake). Though the fact that the + is non-obvious suggests that we ought to either make it bigger or add another flashcard icon somewhere else to automatically create one from the first entry. Or perhaps pick a better icon than +, like a star or a bookmark.

I think it's great you have Zhuyin fuhao available but I'm guessing the majority won't use it, so can the display of it be turned off?

Certainly, as can Cantonese display (not shown in this screenshot).

I would prefer the brackets around the (in this case) traditional were replaced with a single separating slash and spacing so one could see the characters without other symbols nearby:

几乎 / 幾乎

IMO the brackets crowd the characters, making them harder to read.

Interesting perspective, but I like the brackets because they suggest the "alternative" nature of the bracketed text - the vast majority of users prefer one character set or the other and parenthesizing the other set makes it easier to ignore it. That being said, it would not be difficult to add an option for this if there's interest. (we certainly have a lot of other ways to reconfigure the dictionary header) Though we'd need to come up with another way to indicate character variants, which we already separate with a /.

The bars next to the example sentences seem unnecessary; indentation does the job of setting them off from the definition. The bars also make the page look heavier than it needs to.

Yeah, those have been controversial with a lot of people - personally, I agree with you that they seem heavy but I like the fact that they tie each example's items together, and separate adjacent examples from each other, and that they pick up on the already very heavily used "quotation" format from many other websites / apps / etc (including Apple's own mail client).

Here's an alternate version with the quote bars gray instead of blue - does that work any better for you? Makes them less heavy at least, though it also makes it less obvious that we're connecting the example to the Pinyin / definition below it. I'm worried that if we didn't use them at all we'd need some other separator between examples that would only make matters more confusing - we use horizontal lines in a bunch of other places as-is (between dictionaries and between specific definitions within dictionaries) so another horizontal line separator is going to start to make the hierarchy tough to follow.

ios7gray.png

Blue lines or gray look clear and usable to me. Perhaps if the blue verticals were a slightly lighter weight (thinner?): they seem to draw a bit of attention to themselves right now, rather than subtly indicating groupings/examples.

Overall the direction the new design is heading looks so elegant, clear, and transparently usable. And I'm definitely kooking forward to pecking at the tabs. - Shelly