3.0.0 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

santiago

举人
santiago - you can actually control the position of the audio using the iOS 7 control center, since we're queueing it up on the standard iOS music player - swipe up from the bottom of the screen and then adjust the position to wherever you like.
oops, u are right about ISO7 (i was wondering why nobody was asking for that feature..... now i understand) Thanks!!!.

denmitch

探花
Mike,
Finding the response area of + for Add a Flashcard select area is so minuscule in the Reader that many times the cursor simply moves onto the next word since I have the Tap side of Screen setting turned on. All the buttons on the button bar work fine but this one. Can this be enlarged?
image.jpg
Also the pop up definition is not always related to the selected word when C-C dictionaries such as CY or GF are first up. This happened several times for different words in Reader and I was able to switch to search and duplicate this response. See attachment. Is this a bug or user error?

gato

状元
Would it be possible to add an "open in Pleco reader" option for iOS email attachments? Could be an alternative way to import files into Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Already supported, Pleco comes up as one of the 'open in' options there and if you open a reader-friendly file it'll bring it right up in the reader.

etm001

状元
Sorry if this is a duplicate - this thread is getting long and I can't keep up with all the bug reports. A few things I've noticed:
  1. When I've called up the handwriting recognizer from within a dictionary, the writing input area was entirely black. I could write in the area and it appeared to recognize my writing (I think, I'm recalling from memory), but I couldn't see what I was writing.
  2. After finishing a flashcard test, the "New Test" dialogue window appeared (as normal), but the window was entirely blank, save for the "Begin Test" and "Done" buttons. I'm not sure what I did next - either I a) pressed "Begin Test", or I b) pressed "Done", then called up the New Test window and pressed "Begin Test" - but in either case, it seemed that I was placed back into the just completed test, with a random card being displayed.
Both of these happened just a few times. This is on an iPad running iOS 7.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
2) is an old one but 1) I don't think we've heard of before - was the recognizer fullscreen or just confined to the keyboard area? Normal or Night Mode color scheme?

Paul Duke

进士
Have been playing with version 3 now for a day or two. Like a lot of the changes, especially the ability to see all dictionary entries for a word one screen, and the easy search for "words" and "sentences" from an entry. Like the Kai font, for whatever reason it makes reading much easier. Bravo.

A couple of questions/comments on the Reader.

-- Would really like it if the pop-up definition window would get larger if I adjust the font size. (Maybe there's a setting for this I don't know about? I seem to remember there was a setting for this in version 2 -- at least the box could be made larger or smaller, I recall.) With the font size set at something that works for me (on iPad mini, 1st gen., thus non-Retina) if the definition is long (or even more than a few words) I have scroll to see it -- a small waste of time. I have the pop-up font size set to 36. I'm older too -- over 50, so take this also as a comment in consideration of some of us who need reading glasses at smaller font sizes. (There's also a small pedagogical philosophy issue here... I don't mind smaller font sizes for characters/material I'm more familiar with, but when I look at something in the pop up reader usually it's because it's something new to me... so in general I want to see that at a larger size, for clarity and in order to be certain of the details of the character.)

-- Following on the thinking behind the change in the dictionary which shows all dictionary results on one screen, it would be nice if the pop-up reader indicated that there were other entries for a particular word. I'm not suggesting putting all the entries on one screen (I realize the idea of the pop-up reader is to keep the interruption small), only giving some indication that they exist. Very often when reading something I find the first definition unsatisfying and I touch/click to see if there are others. (This is especially common with any material that's of recent origin, if the first dictionary entry is from ABC. PLC and CC are often so much better on more current usage.) So my suggestion is running down the right side of the pop-up window, it could say:

ABC
PLC
CC

... or such like, for dictionaries which show an entry for that word. The current system only shows the name of the currently viewed dictionary entry (correct?).

-- Another small UI suggestion for the pop-up reader. Have an option to click in the pop-up reader itself to see the word in full screen-dictionary entry. This would be nice and very useful I think. I realize the right side of the pop-up reader is for choosing the dictionary. Don't change that; just make it so by clicking toward the left, on the word or the definition you would go to the full screen entry. I would use that all the time. Yes, I realize there's an arrow button for this at the bottom of the screen, but this would be faster and more intuitive.

-- A minor problem I run into. I keep the Adsotrans dictionary installed because very occasionally it has an entry for something the other dictionaries don't. But a characteristic of this dictionary is that it also has a lot of longer entries (ie, more 3 or 4 character entries) that grab more than I want to see defined. To give an example, I was just getting used to version 3 with something I'm reading and I clicked on this phrase "彻底毁坏", which ADS glosses as "<noun> wrack". I find it really weird that ADS grabs that four-character phrase rather than defining "彻底" alone. I wish there were some way to make ADS the dictionary of "last resort" or something like that. In other words, if no other dictionary had an entry for 彻底, then sure, I'd like to see what ADS comes up with, but very often I find ADS slowing me down a bit as I have to manually use the back buttons to reduce the selection to what I'm really interested in.

Apologies if these issues have been covered before...

I also miss those cute icons that used to go across the bottom of the screen! (Not to be 太老套了 but actually having the visual cues was useful for quick selection. I'd suggest putting some icons next to "Dictionary", "Reader", "Flashcards" etc in the menu.)

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
All reasonable points the next time we retool the popup reader UI.

I'm not sure how we could make Adso a last resort dictionary in the way that you're describing - it seems like we'd have to basically limit Adso to coming up only when there is no two-character entry for a word, which strikes me as a rather odd / arbitrary cutoff and something that's so narrowly tailored to Adso's weaknesses that it would be tough to justify adding as a general feature.

We do have little icons next to individual sections in the menu now - magnifying glass for search, mortarboard for new test, etc - have to keep them small in order to fit all of the items we have in that menu.

Paul Duke

进士
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I should probably just delete Adso, most of the time it gives bizarre and incorrect results (I remember from reading a post in here a few years ago that you said it is intended for long-form machine translation... hmm) but I actually find it useful in my particular line of work that it catches the translation, for instance, of 提摩西 as Timothy or 西恩 as Sean, which the other dictionaries don't have.

gato

状元
Paul,

21 Century E-C has entries for both names:
Tim∙o∙thy
1 蒂莫西(男子名) [昵称Tim]
2 【圣经】 提摩太(使徒圣保罗的门徒和旅伴)
3 【圣经】 《提摩太书》(《新约全书》中的一卷) [略作I Tim.,II Tim.]

Sean
肖恩(男子名) [John 的异体]

dymtang

秀才
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but in 3.0, Transparent handwriting input mode, when user taps on the "ON/OFF" button to "OFF", then later user taps on "Done", then later user taps on the Search window to get back to handwriting input mode, now the "ON/OFF" button is still in the "OFF" position, forcing user to tap on it to change it back to "ON" before user can start drawing on the screen. In previous versions, whenever user got into Transparent handwriting input mode, the "ON/OFF" button was always in the "ON" position. So user just needed to tap Search window and start drawing. Now user has to tap Search, look down on the bottom row to see if the "ON/OFF" button is in the "ON" position, if not, then tap it to make it ON, then start drawing. It slows down the lookup process by quite a bit. Any reason why 3.0 can't keep the same behavior as before?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That one's just a bug, caused by the handwriting box sticking around (hidden) between exits / reopens rather than being recreated each time.

etm001

状元
Hi,

The following is happening for me:
  • Tap Flashcards ->Organize.
  • Tap a flashcard category to select it.
Instead of highlighting the category in light gray, the highlight color is black. Since the category name is also black, it can no longer be seen. However the folder icon and the information icon, which are blue, are still visible.

This is happening only with a few categories, seemingly at random. Quitting and restarting Pleco fixes the problem. This is on iPad 3, iOS7, Pleco regular color mode.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - I believe this one was covered by the overhaul of Organize that we just did (mostly to fix the very slow "All" / "None" section of long lists, but it took care of a bunch of glitches like this too).

dymtang

秀才
In 3.0 manual:

-- (so 大学 would contained in 北京大学 for example)

missing be.

-- and the |➡︎ button moves to the next word.

here |➡︎ should be ➡︎ .