3.0.0 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No need to re-report bugs from Beta 10 that are still around since we didn't really expect any of them to be fixed in this release, but anything new / previously undiscovered should go here.

gato

状元
Congratulations, Mike! This must feel good.

Just downloaded some of the new dictionaries (成语 and 汉语大词典). Will report more back later.

Do you want bug reports and non-big feedback in the same thread?

Some immediate comments I have are on the new text-to-speech (TTS).

- The default behavior in the search mode seems to read only the first character of the highlighted text. Shouldn't it read the entire selected text?

- In the reader, there seem to be two separate buttons for TTS (one for single character, one for entire selected text). Shouldn't the latter be enough? If you only want one character read, just select a single character.

- Also in the reader, when TTS is reading selected text, definition is shown for each word reader. I'd prefer that the reader would still functioning normally, so you can still browse through the text and look up word definition for any text you want. Maybe once the TTS is on, you can turn the TTS icon into a stop icon, which can then be used to stop the reading. The user can then browse through the text and read as usual. Perhaps the text being read by TTS can be shown in a slightly different color, so the reader knows what is being read.

- Pop-up definition window is the same size regardless of definition length. For short definitions, there is a lot of blank space. I would prefer the window size be reduced to fit the definition for shorter definition. The white space is unnecessarily blocking much of the text.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Yes, all can go here - past attempts at separating feedback and bug reports have been woefully unsuccessful (people don't like to make two posts) so we've stopped even trying that now.

TTS should indeed read the whole thing - how much text have you highlighted? Which 'search mode' are you referring to?

The 'megaphone' button starts playing continuously without regard to the selection while the 'speaker' button just plays the selected word - I suppose we could drop the latter one but pausing playback might get annoying for people.

Background TTS playback is an interesting idea - certainly possible, just not something we'd considered.

Popup definition size... that's a tricky one; would have to be optional, I think, for people who are using it to scan through text rather than look up just one word at a time (quite a lot of those, see the beta 10 bug report thread) the size change would probably be distracting / counterproductive, but for people tapping on single words (which is actually our recommended approach) variable size would probably be better, yeah.

Alexis

状元
I'm trying out the cantonese dictionary demo.
Is there a way to get it to just see the list of all characters? It's hard to find actual demo words from a search.
When I select the Cantonese dictionary, i see the definitions listed in the left hand side listing, but the definition pane only shows the unihan entry (for example
亞)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
How are you even demoing it? The recommended way to demo a dictionary now is through Manage Dicts / Browse, which is helpfully linked from each dictionary's page in Add-ons - it actually shouldn't even be possible to access a demo dictionary from the main search screen, so if you're doing that then that's a bug.

Alexis

状元
Ah! Might i suggest putting a browse demos button under the add-on button whenever the user has demo dictionaries installed? Would be way easier to find. (Edit: Just saw that there's an option to browse the dictionary in the same screen where you download the demo. this may be good, assuming that the user stays on that screen)

Confirming the bug :) GZHFYCD shows up as a dictionary in the dictionary selection, beside the search field, after i download the demo.

Last edited:
I'm trying out the cantonese dictionary demo.
Is there a way to get it to just see the list of all characters? It's hard to find actual demo words from a search.
When I select the Cantonese dictionary, i see the definitions listed in the left hand side listing, but the definition pane only shows the unihan entry (for example
亞)

You can browse through a particular dictionary's entries by going to Settings/Manage Dictionaries/(dictionary)/Browse Dictionary Entries/.

Questions:

1. I downloaded some demo dicts, but for some reason they don't show up in the search/definition field although they are on the dictionary list. I believe I disabled the "use demo dicts" option in v.2, could that be the problem? But I really can't find this option anymore now in v.3. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just saw Mike's reply above. So I take it these demo dicts are meant to be browsed separately?

2. Is 汉语大词典 the 1st edition from 1993?

3. Is the new Oxford Dictionary the one in association with FLTRP from 2010?

EDIT: apparently it is. :) That's the 2000-page one, right?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis - yes, demos download the whole thing. No way around that at the moment though we may do an alternate solution (or just link to a page of demo entries) if we find our bandwidth bills spiking.

golden chyld - 1) yes, need to be browsed separately now.

2) There hasn't been a second edition of it so far, but we have the rights to the new 订補 volume from 2010 - just haven't integrated the data yet. The digitization of the core dictionary is from the CD version.

3) Yes, also incorporating the even more recent fanti version.

garysaville

进士
Dropbox reader issue:
I opened a text doc from Dropbox and edited it, but I get an error every time I try to click done: "sorry, the file could not be saved". So, the document is locked in editing mode. Even worse, when I exited and re-entered Pleco, a bunch of pop-ups appear on the screen with the same error message, and now the document will not open at all. Instead I get the message: "Sorry, the file could not be opened".
This is happening on the new iPad Air if that is helpful.

garysaville

进士
With the above Dropbox issue: I looked in my dropbox folder, and the file.txt has been replaced by file.txt.plecobookmark. The plecobookmark file contains only html metadata. The original text is all missing.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! We should be able to fix that in 3.0.1 - actually Dropbox support is getting a lot better in general thanks to a Dropbox policy change that'll finally let us access documents across your entire Dropbox instead of just a single app folder.

Thanks, Mike. Just did some shopping! :D

1. How come this version often shows the "search in progress" message briefly while typing? (I only remember seeing this in early betas before?) Is it possible to turn it off?

2. I've meant to mention this for a while now: I think the "Dictionaries" section in Add-ons is a bit overwhelming. Too many different options -- I already got used to it, but for a new user it really might get confusing. I think simply dividing it into Paid, Free and Early Access dicts would make it look a lot cleaner, and then when you tap on any of those sections you could either just list the dicts in alphabetical order or use the current grouping (monolingual etc). Just a thought.

By the way, thanks for letting us transfer the new fonts from the beta testing! :)

gato

状元
TTS should indeed read the whole thing - how much text have you highlighted? Which 'search mode' are you referring to?
The 'megaphone' button starts playing continuously without regard to the selection while the 'speaker' button just plays the selected word - I suppose we could drop the latter one but pausing playback might get annoying for people.
I see that the "speaker" button in both the dictionary view (that's what I meant by "search", as that's how it's labeled in the sidebar) and reader plays only a word, even if I select a longer sentence or paragraph. I'd prefer that the entire selected text be read (in both the dictionary view and reader). That's more intuitive. It's odd that only the first word is read. In the reader, I think you get rid of the "single word" speaker function.

Popup definition size... that's a tricky one; would have to be optional, I think, for people who are using it to scan through text rather than look up just one word at a time (quite a lot of those, see the beta 10 bug report thread) the size change would probably be distracting / counterproductive, but for people tapping on single words (which is actually our recommended approach) variable size would probably be better, yeah.
For people who can advancing one word/character at a time, they would probably advance at a slow enough pace (advance, skim/read definition, advance, etc.) that the changing size probably doesn't distract that much. You won't want to add an extra setting, if it's not absolutely needed.

TTS reading advancing also shows the definition, so changing window size in that case is distracting. I would suggest getting rid of the definition window while TTS'ing, since there is not enough time to read the definition anyway while TTS'ing. Instead of showing the definition, I would just highlight the word that's being read with a slightly different color.

Is there a way to pause/stop the TTS reading right now? What if I select an entire file to be read and I want to pause/cancel in the middle?

BanMai

秀才
OMG I love Hanyu Da Cidian. I just remapped all my flashcards to it.

Question: Is there a way to display the examples in the flashcard (after flipping the card I mean)?

3.0.0 is lovely, I'm so happy to be able to change fonts! I just wish that after switching to the Kai font, that the change would be reflected in the stroke order diagrams as well. Maybe this is asking too much, or maybe I'm just too picky about handwriting, but I was hoping to be able to delete the eStroke app that I keep around purely for the nice looking stroke order diagrams. I love the new Duogongneng Chengyu Cidian!

denmitch

探花
Reader (in paginated txt file) tapping all over can go forward with tap any where on the right of popup definition and backward with a tap anywhere on the left which is terrific, really, until I tried to select the sidebar. No go. Well it backed up a character. If intentional I could get used to this real quick.