Which Classical Chinese dictionary should I buy?

scykei

榜眼
I did not know that. Amazon US and Japan wouldn't ship to my country. Thanks for informing me about that. I'll think about it.

I think a better and more convenient option, especially if you will be buying books long term, would be to set up an account for a buying service, like 乐趣购. These services are aimed at overseas Chinese students, and generally charge a really reasonable rate, 5-10 percent or so, for placing orders, amassing stuff in their warehouse, etc.

bokane

举人
CIKOSKI, John Stewart (1976), Introduction to classical Chinese, Berkeley: Dept. of Oriental Languages, University of California.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, Shun, but have you actually been able to find a copy of this book? I've been looking with some interest, but Worldcat only has two library holdings for it -- both a thousand or more miles away -- and it looks as if this was circulated as a draft rather than officially published. I'd love to get my hands on a copy (or a scan) -- any chance you might know where I could start looking?

Shun

状元
Hi bokane,

that's great! I have a book from him in digital form, though unfortunately not the one you have quoted, probably obtained from a professor a long time ago. It comes with a readme.txt file:

---------

This CD contains seven files:

README.TXT......this file
GRAMSER.TTF.....a TrueType font allowing the keyboard insertion of GSR's phonetic characters
GRAMSER.PDF.....keyboard layout of GRAMSER.TTF
CCVNote1.PDF.....volume I of the vocabulary notes
CCVNote2.PDF.....volume II of the vocabulary notes
CCVNote3.PDF.....volume III of the vocabulary notes
COVERS14.PDF.....suggested covers for printed copies of volumes I, II and II

None of this material is in the public domain. It is all protected by various copyrights. You
may make as many copies of this CD as you wish, and you may give them away, but you may not
sell them. You may print as many copies of these PDF files as you wish, and you may give them
away, but you may not sell them. However, you may ask to be reimbursed for your actual
out-of-pocket cost for materials and reproduction.

This book is the second in a projected series of three. The first, 原古通言 Introduction to
Classical Chinese, was done decades ago and is now obsolete. If it is re-issued, that will
be in hyperlinked form as an interactive self-paced textbook. The third volume, 閱經掄讀 A
Grammar of Classical Chinese, now exists only as scattered notes to my Three Essays on
Classical Chinese Grammar.

----------

Here are the files:

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 05.42.03.png

Here is the cover of one of the books:

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 05.42.13.png

I think it isn't absolutely clear from the readme whether the PDFs themselves or the printouts of the PDFs may be given away for free. Perhaps only the latter. If we are convinced that it's permissible, I'd be glad to send them to you.

I'd expect that you might be able to get the introductory work directly from Mr. Cikoski in digital form if it is out of print (forever).

Regards,

Shun

Last edited:

bokane

举人
Hi bokane,

that's great! I have a book from him in digital form, though unfortunately not the one you have quoted, probably obtained from a professor a long time ago. It comes with a readme.txt file:

Thanks! I've had the CCV files for a while now (and particularly enjoy the grumpy bits), but I think I got them from George Sarostin's site. The README.TXT is new to me -- sounds as if he considers the textbook I'm interested in obsolete. Pity -- from what I've been able to find out about it, it sounds as if it had a more interesting approach than other CC textbooks. Ah well -- I'll try dropping him a line and seeing whether he's got a sharable version lying around anyway.

--B