View flashcard categories from dictionary definition

Perhaps this feature is already available, but I can't seem to find it.
If I am looking at the dictionary entry for a word, I often want to
see exactly which flashcard categories, if any, it belongs to. I see that
the definition page does have the little "plus" button at the top. I know
that if I press this button I can add the word to the default flashcard
category, but I only want to see which categories it already belongs to.
If I hold the "plus" button down, I do see a new page listing all of my
flashcard categories, but this does not tell me which categories already
contain the word. I only see a single check mark, which seems to
indicate which category I've chosen as my default.

Right now the only solution I have is to leave the dictionary page,
go to Organize Cards, perform a search for the word - which means
typing the word again, then select the word if it is found. At this
point I can finally see all categories that contain the word, as well as
the useful "Add to Category" button. Is there an easier way to reach this
page directly from the dictionary entry, without having to go through
all of the additional steps?

Much thanks!
David

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Two ways to do this:

1) Add 'tags' to the categories you want to see - tap the (i) button next to their names in Organize - and you'll then see those tags at the top right corner of the dictionary entry for any word in those categories.

2) In Settings / Flashcards, set the behavior for duplicate card handling to 'card info' - that way, tapping on the [+] button will bring up the Card Info screen, the same screen you would get to by digging through all those levels in Organize Cards.

pdwalker

状元
/snip/
1) Add 'tags' to the categories you want to see - tap the (i) button next to their names in Organize - and you'll then see those tags at the top right corner of the dictionary entry for any word in those categories.
/snip/

Ah, here's an interesting point. With tags, they only apply to the category, and not the subcategory. Is it possible for a subcategory with a tag to use the tag from the parent category? For example, I have a hierarchy of categories where I use to define where I was introduced to a character (it makes it easier to go back to the source if I need to recheck something and to control the rate at which I am introducing new things).

e.g.
/Chinese University/
/Chinese University/Lesson 1 Oral/
/Chinese University/Lesson 1 Written/
/Chinese University/Lesson 2 Oral/
/Chinese University/Lesson 2 Written/​
etc, etc.

If I give the tag to /Chinese University/ then none of the characters from the lessons shows up as tagged. Nor do I want to create a whole new flat category structure just for tagging as it becomes one more thing to manage.

(I'd consider a work-around if it doesn't create too much extra work)

/edit/ Ok, the obvious work around is to add the tag to every one of the subcategories. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but that would also do the trick. Maybe a "copy tag from parent" under the tag settings?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Tags do apply to subcategories, actually - just add a tag to the parent category and you should see it show up for subcategories. However, we don't show a tag for a parent category and a subcategory at the same time - the subcategory tag will replace the parent one.

pdwalker

状元
Tags do apply to subcategories, actually - just add a tag to the parent category and you should see it show up for subcategories. However, we don't show a tag for a parent category and a subcategory at the same time - the subcategory tag will replace the parent one.

I could have sworn that wasn't working, and yes, clearly it is working. Sorry, nevermind. Ignore that. Senior moment. Doh.