User Interface Feedback Thread

ckatt

状元
As i was adding words to my flash cards i came up with this idea.
many words have multiple definitions, but often i only want one as the definition on my flash card, normally i would just convert to custom card and delete the extra info but i was thinking if a way to streamline this. would at be possible to highlight text in the definition then hit the + button, the result being that the highlighted text would be used as the definition and the current word used for the character and pinyin in a new custom card? this could save so much time. :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
As i was adding words to my flash cards i came up with this idea.
many words have multiple definitions, but often i only want one as the definition on my flash card, normally i would just convert to custom card and delete the extra info but i was thinking if a way to streamline this. would at be possible to highlight text in the definition then hit the + button, the result being that the highlighted text would be used as the definition and the current word used for the character and pinyin in a new custom card? this could save so much time. :D

Possible, but we really need to put together a better system for highlighting ranges of text first - something with easy drag-selection / scrolling / etc; right now you'd spend more time positioning the highlight where you wanted it than you would cutting out the unwanted text with the Convert to Custom solution.

ckatt

状元
mikelove said:
Possible, but we really need to put together a better system for highlighting ranges of text first - something with easy drag-selection / scrolling / etc; right now you'd spend more time positioning the highlight where you wanted it than you would cutting out the unwanted text with the Convert to Custom solution.

I see your point. Makes me long for the good old days with my T3, but i'm not sure if i really want the stylus back.

Wan

榜眼
In flashcard sessions, it would be great to have a little more room for the toggle dictionary button that lets you switch dictionary definitions of flashcards. For me, it is placed on the right side directly above the next card button. I often hit next card instead instead of next dictionary accidentally, so a more spacious button or a little space between the buttons would be nice.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wan said:
In flashcard sessions, it would be great to have a little more room for the toggle dictionary button that lets you switch dictionary definitions of flashcards. For me, it is placed on the right side directly above the next card button. I often hit next card instead instead of next dictionary accidentally, so a more spacious button or a little space between the buttons would be nice.

OK, we'll see about tweaking that - thanks.

mnanon

秀才
Is it possible for flashcards when guessing with multiple choice to have an option 'I don't know'?

Is it possible when reading a definition to look-up directly a new definition without having to go back?

HW60

状元
In Flashcards / Fill-in-the-blanks the manual says: "Draw the character in the box, then tap on one of the character choices at the bottom of the screen, or keep the first character choice by tapping on the screen with two fingers"

Tapping on the screen with two fingers to choose a character here is a somewhat unlucky possibility, because in Self Graded / Test Reading I can also enter a character by HWR (having opened the screen for HWR by tapping on the brush in the top right corner), but as there is no Backspace Button to erase the input here I have to tap on the screen with two fingers to erase the character ...
I use both Fill-in-the-blanks and Self Graded, and the more I a get accustomed to erasing by tapping with two fingers, the more often I tap when I should not. Within one software package I would prefer not to use identical shortcuts for completely different actions.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mnanon said:
Is it possible for flashcards when guessing with multiple choice to have an option 'I don't know'?

Sure, but it's not something anybody has asked for before - what about just going to the "Back" tab and tapping 'Skip Card"?

mnanon said:
Is it possible when reading a definition to look-up directly a new definition without having to go back?

What do you mean? Are you trying to look up a new definition for the same word in a different dictionary, or for a different word in the search results, or are you trying to start a whole new search? If it's a new search, are you searching for a word you found in the definition or a totally new one?

HW60 said:
Tapping on the screen with two fingers to choose a character here is a somewhat unlucky possibility, because in Self Graded / Test Reading I can also enter a character by HWR (having opened the screen for HWR by tapping on the brush in the top right corner), but as there is no Backspace Button to erase the input here I have to tap on the screen with two fingers to erase the character ...

That's true, but in general the convention of tapping with two fingers to commit a choice applies in the main screen too - you tap twice to backspace but once to simply clear the box and start drawing your next character.

HW60 said:
I use both Fill-in-the-blanks and Self Graded, and the more I a get accustomed to erasing by tapping with two fingers, the more often I tap when I should not. Within one software package I would prefer not to use identical shortcuts for completely different actions.

Depends on how you think about them - so you'd prefer it if we had a backspace button in that other box too?

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
That's true, but in general the convention of tapping with two fingers to commit a choice applies in the main screen too - you tap twice to backspace but once to simply clear the box and start drawing your next character.
In the main screen tapping is an alternative to the existent backspace button and an alternative to choosing the desired character directly by tapping on it. This alternative is not really necessary therefore, does not shorten the procedure, and actually I had not realised so far that it exists.
HW60 said:
mikelove said:
Depends on how you think about them - so you'd prefer it if we had a backspace button in that other box too?
Yes, because here I have no alternative and must use tapping, getting confused with other screens. Or tapping once or twice has the same function everywhere.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
In the main screen tapping is an alternative to the existent backspace button and an alternative to choosing the desired character directly by tapping on it. This alternative is not really necessary therefore, does not shorten the procedure, and actually I had not realised so far that it exists.

A lot of people actually find that it makes things considerably faster because they don't have to scroll down to tap on the character - it's quite a popular feature, in fact. (and one that we highlight via the "tap with two fingers to clear" text that appears at the bottom of the handwriting input box)

HW60 said:
Yes, because here I have no alternative and must use tapping, getting confused with other screens. Or tapping once or twice has the same function everywhere.

It does have the same function everywhere, it's just that in the flashcard sketch box you're not entering a character and hence clearing it doesn't set you up to draw another character.

mnanon

秀才
mikelove said:
mnanon said:

Sure, but it's not something anybody has asked for before - what about just going to the "Back" tab and tapping 'Skip Card"?

mnanon said:

What do you mean? Are you trying to look up a new definition for the same word in a different dictionary, or for a different word in the search results, or are you trying to start a whole new search? If it's a new search, are you searching for a word you found in the definition or a totally new one?

1) I currently use that method, it was just a thought of possibly adding it as an option.

2) Just being lazy- wanting to do a new search from the definition screen.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mnanon said:
1) I currently use that method, it was just a thought of possibly adding it as an option.

It presents a few UI issues on non-tablet devices (we're already squeezing in 5 choices pretty tightly and getting complaints about small text size), but it might be doable if people were willing to accept some other UI tradeoff like the choice box taking up more of the screen. (which I suppose is actually fine in a definition test since the card isn't that big anyway)

mnanon said:
2) Just being lazy- wanting to do a new search from the definition screen.

Fair enough, but I'm not really seeing enough of an advantage to that over simply pressing the back button (one tap either way) to justify adding it - have you tried the option to put the definition and results list on the same screen?

mnanon

秀才
1) True, was just thinking as an option, it would negate those problems for those whom are either not interested in it or not willing to use it.

2) Didn't know about that option. That's perfect then.

ckatt

状元
Is it possible to have the hand writing recognition recognize the @ symbol having to use the keyboard and the WR is a bit of a hassle. if not then what about adding a button? maybe next to the undo stroke arrow? what do you say?
Cheers :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
Is it possible to have the hand writing recognition recognize the @ symbol having to use the keyboard and the WR is a bit of a hassle. if not then what about adding a button? maybe next to the undo stroke arrow? what do you say?

You can get this already if you go into Settings / Dictionary / Portrait orientation and turn on "Add full/wild" buttons; that replaces the speech input and OCR buttons (both of which can be accessed other ways, e.g. through the bar at the bottom of the screen when the keyboard is closed) with buttons to insert full-text (#) and wildcard (@) characters.

ckatt

状元
mikelove said:
ckatt said:

You can get this already if you go into Settings / Dictionary / Portrait orientation and turn on "Add full/wild" buttons; that replaces the speech input and OCR buttons (both of which can be accessed other ways, e.g. through the bar at the bottom of the screen when the keyboard is closed) with buttons to insert full-text (#) and wildcard (@) characters.
Thanks that works pretty good!

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
HW60 said:
After 2 more weeks working with flashcards I would answer your question definitely with YES. Without the backspace button I have no chance but to tap with two fingers to erase my input, and then it requires very much concentration not to tap when tapping has a different meaning. So with a backspace button I would start never to tap again, but only use the backspace button.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
After 2 more weeks working with flashcards I would answer your question definitely with YES. Without the backspace button I have no chance but to tap with two fingers to erase my input, and then it requires very much concentration not to tap when tapping has a different meaning. So with a backspace button I would start never to tap again, but only use the backspace button.

Well it depends on your interpretation of the meaning - to me it's always felt like a "clear and move on" gesture, in which case it works the same in both modes - but we can certainly consider adding a clear option; it's going to have to be optional, though, since people are going to get annoyed to have that bar there when it's not serving any purpose except for adding a backspace button.

LantauMan

进士
mikelove said:
HW60 said:

Well it depends on your interpretation of the meaning - to me it's always felt like a "clear and move on" gesture, in which case it works the same in both modes - but we can certainly consider adding a clear option; it's going to have to be optional, though, since people are going to get annoyed to have that bar there when it's not serving any purpose except for adding a backspace button.

I agree with Mike. On my LG Optimus One's tiny screen, it's already crowded enough with buttons. I'm quite content with the way it works now with flashcards.

ckatt

状元
OK here's my new request, how about an exclude subcategories option in the flash card filters? i know that i can do this by using the category filter and checking the subcategories but it would be nice if i did not have to do this when i change the main category. as i study in my text but i add the vocab from a new chapter as a new category (as im sure most people do ) i would like to be able to have any supplementary words nested into a subcategory for each chapter just to keep things organized. i don't put as much emphasis in learning to write these extra words as i do the others so quickly being able to exclude them from a test would be great, but if i deselect a subcategory it automatically deselects the parent, so an option to exclude subcategories would be a helpful addition to the the already powerful filter system.
Thanks, keep up the good work!