typing or making characters I can't type : )

feng

榜眼
So if I understand correctly, the issue is that Chinese text has different line spacing compared to English text or image files (PNGs in this case)?
I think this is a Microsoft Word feature - have a look at the Paragraph spacing options.

Glad to hear you found a way that works for you. :) Exporting to PNGs is probably a good simple workaround if you don't have time to learn about how fonts work. A possible disadvantage though (compared to updating the font with the new vector graphic / glypth data) is that PNG is raster (i.e. bitmap) graphics so it will not resize as nicely as SVG (or other vector) graphics.
Thanks to you I went in and found something where I can adjust the line spacing between Asian and Latin text (where they sit). The PNGs seem to have no space below them, and I now see that that exaggerated the existing problem (I could change that, but it is not necessary).

As far as I can tell, the program Inkscape (which bills itself as SVG and can do neat things bending and twisting and resizing characters while keeping the strokes crisp) will only allow me to save as PNG. I don't really have anything against making or adding to an existing font, except that the number of characters I need to make is only in the double digits (haven't counted or even listed them out, I just know they are there), and they don't recur overly much in my project (though some will be needed for a future project). It would seem like a lot of extra work to learn all of that for not a lot of characters. I am thinking I should try to contact the Unicode people since they are missing things. They have some non-character parts and pieces, but not others. Thanks again for your assistance.