Tts not working since latest update

MaxN

I was doing my daily vocab review and the tts is not working anymore. When I go to settings there's no tts engine I can choose from even though I have qiang text to speech installed. Usually I rely on google text to speech but it's not working in plexi anymore. It's installed on my phone though.
Please fix this as soon as possible.
Thank you

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Check the "Add-ons" screen - is there an update to Qiang TTS available in there?

Also, with 'engine' are you referring to the "System TTS Engine" setting? That wouldn't show Qiang, only TTS engines installed on your phone. If you go into "System TTS Settings," is Google TTS still listed in there?

MaxN

Here are two screenshots of the affected settings

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-184538.png
    Screenshot_20210103-184538.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Screenshot_20210103-184529.png
    Screenshot_20210103-184529.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 292

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd - does it help if you reboot your phone? (could be some issue with the TTS engine manager crashing or not connecting to third party apps correctly)

MaxN

Yes I did a full reboot already but this didn't help. I just don't want to reinstall the app just yet because it's a hassle with setting everything up and the flashcard progress as well

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Understood, but I'm not sure what else to suggest in that case - what model of phone is this and what version of Android is it running? By any chance is there an update available to Google TTS? Could you try downloading another TTS engine (e.g. a free one) from Google Play and see if that engine then shows up in the list of available engines?

MaxN

I just did a fresh install of plexi and a system reboot. I still have the same issue. I'm using Android 11 and a pixel 4a. I downloaded another engine but I couldn't choose one in the menu.

MaxN

It all worked before very well on the phone. I don't know whether it's an issue with the latest Pleco update or not. Is there a method to rollback to an older version to try out? Or did recently an update for google tts come out?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Does it work any better if you delete Pleco again and then reinstall the APK version from our website? (pleco.com/getandroid)

MaxN

Thanks so much! Installing the APK worked like a charm. I didn't lose any progress since I did a backup before.

MaxN

Sorry to bother again. The same problem started appearing today again. I can't choose a system tts engine. I have no idea what's causing it. I didn't change any settings yesterday after it worked again..

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you select "None" as your TTS engine, then tap on the option again to select a different one, do more engines appear?

MaxN

No I tried that as my first measure already. I just uninstalled and installed again. If I uninstall and reinstall from play store my settings are kept and the problem persists, but if I uninstall the play store version and install apk it works again. For the second reinstall I switched from apk to play store again and it also works now again.
Thanks for the quick help by the way. Love your app!