Search and Dictionary Page UI Feedback

1. Is it still possible to change UI colors? In 3.x I changed the highlight color to white (in night mode) because I find that when roman text is white and Chinese characters are colored my focus is drawn to the roman text rather than the characters because the white text appears more prominent.
2. Are the buttons on the search keyboard customizable? I would want to disable the ones I don't use like zhuyin and voice input so that the others will be bigger.
3. An idea regarding the legacy search option: maybe you could add a start-up screen showing the two interfaces and asking people which one they want to use when they first upgrade. I switched it off cause I wanted to get the whole new experience, but I didn't even realize it was a setting until I poked around.
4. On the dictionary screen, if pinyin and zhuyin are both enabled they both get a play audio button, but its the same audio as far as I can tell. In 3.x there was only one button.
5. The tap area for the tabs in the dictionary screen feels slightly smaller than in 3.x but that could just be my imagination.
6. I love the new stroke order screen because you can see all the characters together. For the animated diagrams, this is a very small thing, but I found the stroke diagram play/forward/backward arrows to be more logical in 3.x than they are now and liked how they were centered on the screen without being pushed sideways by the settings button. However, I do like the settings button being there and feel like in the future you could take more settings out of the settings page and put then on the screen that they affect. Often in 3.x I would make a change, then go to the relevant mode and see the difference, then go back to the settings, etc., a time-consuming process.

One other random thing:
7. On the settings page, I would expect the Expert Mode settings to be at the bottom of the screen rather than the top.

Overall, I really like the new tabbed interface. Makes it much easier and faster to navigate. I also find the updated look to be much more clearer and readable.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1. Is it still possible to change UI colors? In 3.x I changed the highlight color to white (in night mode) because I find that when roman text is white and Chinese characters are colored my focus is drawn to the roman text rather than the characters because the white text appears more prominent.
No - a lot of that actually broke in iOS 16 and generated next to no complaints, so we decided it wasn't worth the (substantial) work required to continue supporting it. But custom highlight colors seem like they ought to be something we can restore, and consistent with allowing tone color customization (since those have to not conflict with each other).
2. Are the buttons on the search keyboard customizable? I would want to disable the ones I don't use like zhuyin and voice input so that the others will be bigger.
Yes, if you make a custom search screen (Expert Mode) and switch to it (switcher will appear at the top left corner of search) you can put in whatever combination of buttons you want. This is another example of something we probably ought to offer a halfway-between customization option for.
3. An idea regarding the legacy search option: maybe you could add a start-up screen showing the two interfaces and asking people which one they want to use when they first upgrade. I switched it off cause I wanted to get the whole new experience, but I didn't even realize it was a setting until I poked around.
Honestly, I don't particularly want to encourage people to use that legacy interface; I'm a little ambivalent about even offering the option rather than just pointing them back to the Legacy app.
4. On the dictionary screen, if pinyin and zhuyin are both enabled they both get a play audio button, but its the same audio as far as I can tell. In 3.x there was only one button.
That's definitely a bug, thanks!
5. The tap area for the tabs in the dictionary screen feels slightly smaller than in 3.x but that could just be my imagination.
Could be, will double check. They're swipe-able now so I'm kind of hoping the tap areas for them will matter less in general.
For the animated diagrams, this is a very small thing, but I found the stroke diagram play/forward/backward arrows to be more logical in 3.x than they are now and liked how they were centered on the screen without being pushed sideways by the settings button.
That makes sense, I'm just not sure where else to put settings - I guess it could be crammed in next to Done, but that's maybe a Iittle too hard to get at?
7. On the settings page, I would expect the Expert Mode settings to be at the bottom of the screen rather than the top.
They're probably going to be moved, that's sort a 'developer convenience' thing because we use them a lot for testing :)
Overall, I really like the new tabbed interface. Makes it much easier and faster to navigate. I also find the updated look to be much more clearer and readable.
Thanks!

Custom highlight colors would be great.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised there was a legacy search option at all. Good to know the buttons can be customized. That seems like something where users would appreciate a simple toggle for what buttons they want without having to go to expert mode. Swipeability between dictionary pages is nice—I hadn't realized.

For the stroke order interface, not to get too much into the weeds, but if I was doing it I'd probably keep it more like it is on 3.x where instead of arrows in the top left to switch between characters in multicharacter words, you can swipe between characters, and dots indicate how many pages there are. Then settings could go in that corner. But yeah just want to emphasize the stroke diagrams were already very nice and they're even more wonderful now—especially the feature I just realized where you can tap the character to play the animation without opening up the bigger view.