Recommendation for user dictionary with proper names

I am building a "Harry Potter" dictionary. A large part of it will be proper names. Interestingly, the names are rendered differently in traditional and simplified versions. See here for an example:
http://cjvlang.com/Hpotter/names/wizardsct.html

So, I was wondering if there's a "good" way to enter a name such as Voldemort, which is 伏地魔 Fúdìmó in mainland China, and 佛地魔 Fódìmó in Taiwan.

If it requires two entries, then is there a way to generate a link between them that a user could press/click?

Obviously, in this case, the English spelling is the common point.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
So, I was wondering if there's a "good" way to enter a name such as Voldemort, which is 伏地魔 Fúdìmó in mainland China, and 佛地魔 Fódìmó in Taiwan.

Not at the moment - to be honest, we haven't even finished sorting out how to do that with our own dictionaries yet. So for now I'd just create two separate entries. If you want to simplify matters with a potential future system, you could include the headword for one entry in the other one, e.g.:

伏地魔
Fúdìmó
Voldemort (Taiwan: 佛地魔 Fódìmó)

It's unlikely we'll take input in this exact format, but as long as you have the link in there somewhere and format it relatively consistently, it should be easy to do a find-and-replace to get it into the format you need later on.

With our soon-to-be-released Western Medical dictionary, we're actually going to be only supporting simplified characters (for the first time in any dictionary) because of these sorts of variations in proper names - there's no sense in converting the characters to traditional if the words will still be wrong.