Pleco for iOS 3.1.4 Beta

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
What does the error say? If you delete the app and then reboot, does it try to download it again on rebooting?

On reboot it just says "unable to download Pleco" and then after a while I get:

无法下载应用程序
此时无法下载“Pleco”和其他1个项目。

I thought I was going to fix it just now - I deleted everything downloaded 3.1.3 from the app store [which worked fine] then upgraded Pleco in iTunes, but the second I upgraded to 3.1.4 in iTunes I just kept getting the same errors as above again...

Shun

状元
The flashcard font size during a session seems to be fixed at 22 or so. Instead of cluttering Settings with a separate Flashcard font size setting, perhaps one could make it the same as "Entry body"?

I'm sorry to hear about the Diawi problems. Too bad it's so hard to cleanly reinstall the system on an iOS device without iCloud & lots of work manually restoring all the settings.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@ACardiganAndAFrown - In that case, this might have something to do with your iPhone being jailbroken; could you try installing the IPA through a jailbreak-specific method instead of through iTunes or Diawi?

@Shun - there isn't a flashcard font size option in Settings now; only one in New Test. People like to study flashcards in a lot of different ways and some of those ways involve holding their device relatively far from their head, so I think offering a separate font size option for them makes sense.

Shun

状元
That's even better. In my opinion, I would try to group all the settings of the same nature (interface font size) in the same place.

@ACardiganAndAFrown - In that case, this might have something to do with your iPhone being jailbroken; could you try installing the IPA through a jailbreak-specific method instead of through iTunes or Diawi?

Using IPA Installer:

The IPA could not be installed.
The error code thrown was: ata.plist will be removed after installation

edit: hold on, I might be a doofus...
Edit2: I can seem to install other IPAs okay...just don't know why I'm having trouble with pleco

Last edited:

Shun

状元
I think I've discovered another little bug.

Adding a new flashcard based on the HDD dictionary invariably creates a custom flashcard instead of a dictionary-based flashcard. The custom flashcard has the same contents as a dictionary-based one would, of course. But even if I tap "Convert to dict-based card" in Card Info, the card remains custom. (i.e. nothing happens after tapping the red "Choose this entry" button above the HDD definition)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@ACardiganAndAFrown Very odd - and there still aren't any Pleco-related profiles in Settings that you can delete?

@Shun - that one's intentional; both HDD and Adso lack a reliable way of tracking entries between revisions (they don't have unique entry ID codes, and unlike CC-CEDICT they don't guarantee that any given set of simplified + traditional + pinyin + capitalization will be unique either), so we force any cards created from them to be custom cards so that they'll continue working correctly if the dictionary is updated.

Alexis

状元
The good news is that beta 1 release version installed without a problem from Diawi, settings, flashcard, reader ported all over nicely. I had a bit of time to do some more thorough testing today, but Beta 2 keeps stopping after a partial download. I tried deleting the whole app (and settings), but same thing. I'll try the IPA installation method later on to see if that works better.

Yeah...I'm about to give up on the whole beta - doesn't seem to be installable on my device for some reason - even a "successful" install leaves me with a 'greyed out', unclickable, Pleco app icon...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm going to send out a Beta 3 shortly in the hopes that the Diawi problem will correct itself with a newer version; something could have gone wrong with the build or provisioning process somewhere, we tested it on a few phones here and it seemed to work fine but there have been enough reports of problems from testers that it seems something has to be amiss.

(we are incidentally planning to be *very* aggressive in migrating to iOS 8 so that we can take advantage of Apple's new official beta distribution system and no longer have to put up with all of this provisioning business)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Turned out it actually was on our end - incorrect build flag meant that it required an ARMv7s processor, so anybody with an iPad older than the iPad 4 / iPhone older than the iPhone 5 would be unable to install it. Beta 3 links coming momentarily.

Works fine now, absolutely no problems.

Any reason after install Pleco popped up "new device detected"?
I already had Pleco 3.1.3 installed and registered, why would it need to re-migrate registration?

Also, any way to add free items to the registration list - that way they can download automatically with the purchased but not installed add-ons.

Edit: can add-ons download in the background?

Last edited:

Shun

状元
I'd like to make a suggestion concerning the dict slider at the bottom. On the iPhone screen in portrait orientation, there is space for 12 or so dictionary abbreviations, but with many dictionaries installed, the abbreviations become ambiguous. If one has a particular dictionary in mind, the only option is to go through them one by one, or to turn the device to landscape, pick the dictionary and turn it back. To make it look cleaner and increase its usefulness, wouldn't it make sense to always leave enough space for each dictionary and put a "..." on the right, which can be tapped or tap-held coming from the left, to jump to the remaining dictionaries to the right? It might be doable using some unobtrusive animation, or possibly a brief flash on the "..." button. Afterwards, the "..." would be on the left (and, if needed, right), of course.

IMG_0413.PNG

TTS is taking over my headword pronunciation where there's no full recording...
"Skip if no recording" is turned off in Audio in Settings

I didn't even know TTS could read headwords at all!

edit: and for sentences with TTS cycle (two or more) they will read over each other unlike in previous versions where it would play at the end of one reading.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@ACardiganAndAFrown - great!

The device ID could be screwed up by the license transfer.

Keeping a cloud-synced record of free add-ons for later restores is on our to-do list, and background downloads should be coming soon as we drop iOS 6 support (weren't possible before iOS 7, and migrating to Apple's download manager is a big enough overhaul that we'd rather not have to continue supporting iOS versions that don't use it).

@Shun - the thinking on the slider was that people would generally be familiar enough with their dictionary order that they could figure out where a particular one is from context; nevertheless we do need to come up with a better way to quickly jump to a chosen dictionary in a long list. Honestly for a user with as many as you have (thanks!) we might recommend changing the dictionary collapse behavior so that they're all collapsed (or only the first one is visible) on open.

@ACardiganAndAFrown - that one's deliberate; we think the output from TTS is superior in those cases. (though only with our system, Apple's provides no way to override their pronunciations for rare / ambiguous words)

Shun

状元
Perhaps one could leave the dict slider as it is, but as the finger is tap-holding the slider, the full dictionary name currently selected could be shown in a black bubble at the center of the screen that goes away when the finger is lifted? It's also often hard to remember the full dictionary name from its abbreviation, so that might be a good place to make the full name more visible to the user.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@ACardiganAndAFrown - The hundreds of MB are for the extended recordings, which will still play even with TTS installed. The stitched-together single syllables are only 20 MB or so of that and sound a lot more awkward than TTS does, so I don't see a compelling reason to continue to offer them as an option for people who have TTS, but if I'm missing something then please enlighten me :)

@Shun - That makes sense, yes, though at this point I think we'd have to make that a 3.2 feature as we're pretty much done with 3.1.4.

Just for headwords:

The option to have both would be nice.

I personally prefer the recorded audio stitched together over TTS with the TTS being more mechanical and all. The human element of the recordings is a lot more 'comfortable' to listen to.

Maybe the ability to cycle: female/male/TTS?